Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.7L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum205/)
-   -   First Oil Change VIDEO (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/991148-first-oil-change-video.html)

EpicCowlick 02-21-2011 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by Crazy001 (Post 9996848)
So you think it's okay to re-fill to the very bottom of the acceptable range? :eek:

This is something they consider when designing the engine and coming up with maintenance specifications. In a 6.0L engine there are actually somewhere around 18 quarts of oil in the engine with the high pressure fuel system. Re-fill capacity is 15 quarts, because that's how much drains out.

Now this is just my opinion, but since the truck calls for 13 quarts refill capacity, that's exactly what I intend to put in it.

My last work truck had a Caterpillar engine, and there was a procedure for correcting the dipstick read. The manual said that no matter what the specified refill capacity was how much it took, and if the dipstick read otherwise it was wrong.

Bottom, middle, top of the cross-hatch is within acceptable. I'm not going to argue that any particular point within the range is better than another. Splitting hairs that is. Bottom line is that when I put in the full 13 quarts, the level will be slightly higher than that by the time the I empty it. You can argue that THAT is a bad thing.

Tom 02-21-2011 11:47 AM

May be splitting hairs, but most engines consume some oil over time. Most of the time you will be filling more oil than came out. The exception is some 6.4l engines that make oil.

Does 13 quarts end up above the full mark on your dipstick?

kper05 02-21-2011 12:04 PM

I was able to put in almost one quart into the filter, allowing it to soak in.
After a few minutes of adding/waiting I moved on.

13 quarts of oil is half way in the hatched area after driving and allowing engine to sit for several hours.

I purchased three 5 quart motorcraft jugs and I currently have two quarts remaining in the last jug.
So unless I managed to spill one quart, I know there is 13 in there...haha.

EpicCowlick 02-21-2011 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by Crazy001 (Post 9997751)
May be splitting hairs, but most engines consume some oil over time. Most of the time you will be filling more oil than came out. The exception is some 6.4l engines that make oil.

Does 13 quarts end up above the full mark on your dipstick?

For me, 13 quarts is right on or just over the top of the cross-hatch. That's after letting the oil drain for about 5-10 minutes. It is still dripping when I put the drain plug back in.

I remeasure the oil after the first trip and letting the truck sit for 20-30 mins.

Tom 02-21-2011 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by EpicCowlick (Post 9998747)
For me, 13 quarts is right on or just over the top of the cross-hatch. That's after letting the oil drain for about 5-10 minutes. It is still dripping when I put the drain plug back in.

I remeasure the oil after the first trip and letting the truck sit for 20-30 mins.

Interesting; I wonder why the disparity between yourself and kper...

Have you compared lengths between your old dipstick and your new one?

EpicCowlick 02-21-2011 04:19 PM

I didn't compare lengths. The only thing I can think of is the amount of time to fully drain. There shouldn't be any other variables in the truck.

BTW - I was happy to learn the fuel content dropped to .5% from the last analysis. I'm pretty sure the towing has helped to fully break-in the engine.

mvedepo 06-21-2011 10:18 AM

Epic,

Just about to do my 1st oil change. Did you warm up the engine or did you drain it cold? It appears that you did it cold?

Thanks!

EpicCowlick 06-21-2011 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by mvedepo (Post 10485617)
Epic,

Just about to do my 1st oil change. Did you warm up the engine or did you drain it cold? It appears that you did it cold?

Thanks!

On that first change the engine was cold. The next two have been sorta warm. I can't tell a difference in the amount of oil coming out. I use 5W40 and it is so thin that it flows very well cold.

smokersteve 06-21-2011 10:37 AM

When I change my oil I let it sit over night draining.

kper05 06-21-2011 06:19 PM

Mine sat 30 minutes after running at operating temp prior to shut down.
The second time was no issue and I knew what to expect with the drain plug.

The first time...I recommend letting your oil cool a little more.
I watched this video and I still made a mess the first time.
I remember the hot oil on my left arm quite well!

BPofMD 08-14-2011 01:23 PM

How did you get the oil to send in for the Blackstone report? With the 6.0 it's easy with the Fomoto valve.

kper05 08-14-2011 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by BPofMD (Post 10695709)
How did you get the oil to send in for the Blackstone report? With the 6.0 it's easy with the Fomoto valve.

Pull the plug, let it drain for a few seconds and catch the outside of the oil stream with the white bottle tipped at a slight angle.
It makes one side of the bottle a bit messy but nothing a rag can't fix.
The only way I would make a mess doing this is if I dropped it.

I wouldn't place the entire white bottle under the stream of oil.
The oil leaves the pan quickly and I can imagine it going everywhere once that bottle is full.

smokersteve 08-14-2011 06:23 PM

That is what I do^^^^ I just wait about 3 seconds.

RogerM 08-15-2011 10:04 AM

Did my first change yesterday and no supprises when I pulled the plug. Still had a bunch of oil come over the filter when loosned it, even after punching the 2 layers of the filter. 15-40 Delo.

capt caper 08-16-2011 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by RogerM (Post 10698846)
Did my first change yesterday and no supprises when I pulled the plug. Still had a bunch of oil come over the filter when loosned it, even after punching the 2 layers of the filter. 15-40 Delo.

I only punched thru one layer because of the angle I was at so when I loosened it came down the sides fast. I made quite a mess trying to catch oil in Blackstones jar as well. Last change (first one I ever did) I did went well. This time I blew it. Hot oil for sure. I think it came out much faster this time because it was hot. Last time it was cold.
I use 15 -40 as well. I can't find any 10/30 here yet.