Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.7L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum205/)
-   -   First Oil Change VIDEO (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/991148-first-oil-change-video.html)

EpicCowlick 10-21-2010 10:23 PM

Motorcraft PN: FL-2051

fldave 10-22-2010 06:22 AM

Nice Video, great insite.

smokersteve 10-22-2010 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by Troy Buenger (Post 9317905)
Excellent Video and very informative... Noticed you used 5W-40 weight.

I do not think it is a good idea to use 30W oils in a brand new diesel. And the only way I will use a 30W is to see a UOA that is the same or better than 40W oils.

Tom 10-22-2010 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by smokersteve (Post 9469757)
I do not think it is a good idea to use 30W oils in a brand new diesel. And the only way I will use a 30W is to see a UOA that is the same or better than 40W oils.

So you know better than the engineers that designed it?

EpicCowlick 10-22-2010 03:04 PM

Here's my oil report from Blackstone from this oil change. Initially I was concerned about the fuel content being at 4% but have since learned that there is no need to change the oil for that reason alone until the content is above 7%. I've also learned that my driving style which is mostly unloaded, short-trip type is the most severe as far as oil dilution is concerned. Those that work the engines harder than I do will have less dilution.

It's also pretty clear that Blackstone doesn't have much data on the 6.7L engines yet.

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t.../OilReport.jpg

IHbase 11-15-2010 01:44 AM

Stay tuned for a video on installing pants and later, how to use a door knob.
-mike

Percys Armory 11-15-2010 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by IHbase (Post 9560365)
-mike

and videos on how to properly put a pic in a sig :-missingt

kper05 11-15-2010 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by IHbase (Post 9560365)
-mike

This topic is intended to be helpful along with the other videos that Epic puts his own time into.

johnbrown 02-07-2011 08:45 PM

Hi, i just pulled oil filter and is small chamber along side big threads,someone posted in the past about springs in oil filter area i have never seen one. The spring is about 2" longx3/4"
is this spring needed,thank's, I need a answer ASAP as truck is lacking filter right now.

smokersteve 02-07-2011 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by EpicCowlick (Post 9470029)
Here's my oil report from Blackstone from this oil change. Initially I was concerned about the fuel content being at 4% but have since learned that there is no need to change the oil for that reason alone until the content is above 7%. I've also learned that my driving style which is mostly unloaded, short-trip type is the most severe as far as oil dilution is concerned. Those that work the engines harder than I do will have less dilution.

It's also pretty clear that Blackstone doesn't have much data on the 6.7L engines yet.

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t.../OilReport.jpg

How many miles was on the truck when you sent in the oil?

Shepardsonp 02-20-2011 09:00 PM

Dieselfiltersonline has them for $13.97 each.

6.7 Liter Turbo Diesel Motorcraft FL2051 Oil Filter(FL-2051) - Diesel Filters,Additives,brake rotors, and brake pads for Chevy, Dodge and Ford Diesel Trucks

Swamper34 02-20-2011 11:32 PM

I have pre-filled my filters since 1994 when i bought a new 5.9 Cummins Dodge. The manual stated that the filter must be filled prior to installation. Thanks for the video. I am probably about a month from my first oil change.

kper05 02-20-2011 11:52 PM

I pre-filled my filter on the second oil change.
No idea if the dealer pre-filled when they did the first change.

EpicCowlick 02-21-2011 06:57 AM

I pre-filled the filter on my second oil change and it was no biggie. You have to fill it several times until the oil soaks into the filter media.

On another note: l only put in 12 quarts this time and the level on the dipstick is right at the bottom of the cross-hatch area. When I put in 13 quarts the level was just above the cross-hatch area. To me, that means there is about a quart that doesn't drain. So I'm changing oil with three gallons now instead of 3 gals plus one quart.

Tom 02-21-2011 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by EpicCowlick (Post 9996721)
I pre-filled the filter on my second oil change and it was no biggie. You have to fill it several times until the oil soaks into the filter media.

On another note: l only put in 12 quarts this time and the level on the dipstick is right at the bottom of the cross-hatch area. When I put in 13 quarts the level was just above the cross-hatch area. To me, that means there is about a quart that doesn't drain. So I'm changing oil with three gallons now instead of 3 gals plus one quart.

So you think it's okay to re-fill to the very bottom of the acceptable range? :eek:

This is something they consider when designing the engine and coming up with maintenance specifications. In a 6.0L engine there are actually somewhere around 18 quarts of oil in the engine with the high pressure fuel system. Re-fill capacity is 15 quarts, because that's how much drains out.

Now this is just my opinion, but since the truck calls for 13 quarts refill capacity, that's exactly what I intend to put in it.

My last work truck had a Caterpillar engine, and there was a procedure for correcting the dipstick read. The manual said that no matter what the specified refill capacity was how much it took, and if the dipstick read otherwise it was wrong.