Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   Need Opinions with 7.3 Repair or Part Out (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/990707-need-opinions-with-7-3-repair-or-part-out.html)

jd3rdnoah 09-09-2010 11:07 PM

Need Opinions with 7.3 Repair or Part Out

I purchased a 2001 F-350 dually that was not running and had beed sitting for a year. Guy said it just stoped, no knocks. Being new to diesels I took it to a shop to have it checked out (first mistake). From reading on this sight I got a new CPS hopping that was the problem. The mechanic had me get new batteries first (fine with that). Then he said an injector was bad, then another injector was bad ( I bought 7 more injectors) then the HPOP was Bad (got new one), next he forgot to take the IPR off the HPOP when he sent the core in (got new IRP). Now he got the truck to start. Idled for less than 15 min. and through a rod (hole in the pan). Now I bought a used motor complete w/o the turbo with less the 100K miles. He installs it and every thing is fine now. Not only did I pay him for the changing the motor (by the labor book) he charged me the full price for all the thing he did before that (by the labor book) and it was more than changing the motor.

Now for the opinions:

Now that I have taken the motor apart I have found that a rod bolt on the #1 cylinder broke and the other one out (this was a rebuilt motor with less than 75K miles). When I went in farther the pistons are 40 over (all good). The #2, 3 and 4 main journals have spun bearings (this means the block will have to be line bored?). The crank can probly be turned. The heads and every thing else seems to be real good.

With the amount I have spent so far I do not have the fund to rebuild it now. I now have 2 of most parts (alternator, ac compressor, starter, power steering pump, 3 sets AD injectors ect. Would you part it out or wait till you have the funds to rebuild it??? If you was going to keep parts, What would they be???

Sorry for being so long winded.

Thanks for any and all feed back I can get.

Dean

Stangrcr1 09-09-2010 11:22 PM

Sounds like you bought a really abused truck. It sounds like it stopped running because of how bad it was being treated.

1. You got jacked my that mechanic.

2. Sell off all the duplicates, unless you are worried they may fail.
3. Junk the block. You can get it machined, but it was probably abused, so I would not mess with it. And with already oversized pistons in it, makes me thing it was used even harder, like nitrous/propane/racing/etc. Crank is probably gone too.

I might keep the heads, but ummm, The heads are reliable as hell, unless you try some crazy timing or propane and put the piston into a valve.

BTW, I don't know anything. I am currently rebuilding my short block due to not doing coolant maintenance.

Yes go ahead and quote the above.

I do not know %#@&.

jd3rdnoah 09-09-2010 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by Stangrcr1 (Post 9312426)
Sounds like you bought a really abused truck. It sounds like it stopped running because of how bad it was being treated.

1. You got jacked my that mechanic.

2. Sell off all the duplicates, unless you are worried they may fail.
3. Junk the block. You can get it machined, but it was probably abused, so I would not mess with it. And with already oversized pistons in it, makes me thing it was used even harder, like nitrous/propane/racing/etc. Crank is probably gone too.

I might keep the heads, but ummm, The heads are reliable as hell, unless you try some crazy timing or propane and put the piston into a valve.

BTW, I don't know anything. I am currently rebuilding my short block due to not doing coolant maintenance.

Yes go ahead and quote the above.

I do not know %#@&.

The guy I bought this truck from was a car hauler. Think you are right about not taken care of for sure. The oil was real black when I bought it.

Stangrcr1 09-09-2010 11:41 PM

My oil gets pretty black after 5k and I even have a bypass filter. That doesn't mean a lot.

40 over pistons and spun bearings means a lot. Means it was treated rough in a previous life.

I would not even mess with that block.

Keep the rods if they are forged, but get rid of the rest and find a better block.

jd3rdnoah 09-09-2010 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by Stangrcr1 (Post 9312471)
My oil gets pretty black after 5k and I even have a bypass filter. That doesn't mean a lot.

40 over pistons and spun bearings means a lot. Means it was treated rough in a previous life.

I would not even mess with that block.

Keep the rods if they are forged, but get rid of the rest and find a better block.

How do you tell if the rods are forged?
Thanks

Fordbronco69 09-10-2010 12:34 AM

At the bottom of a forged connecting rod you will have 2 nuts, on a PMR rod you will have two bolts.

Sounds like that block is toasted...

Good luck man!

jd3rdnoah 09-10-2010 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by Fordbronco69 (Post 9312551)
At the bottom of a forged connecting rod you will have 2 nuts, on a PMR rod you will have two bolts.

Sounds like that block is toasted...

Good luck man!

Thank you. They are PMR rods then.

jd3rdnoah 09-11-2010 02:00 PM

bump

More feedback please.

clem1226 09-11-2010 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by jd3rdnoah (Post 9312388)

Would you part it out or wait till you have the funds to rebuild it???

Dean

that kind of depends on the condition of the motor thats in there now...what's the story on that?

SpringerPop 09-11-2010 02:42 PM

Don gives you some good advice in Post #4 above.

I wouldn't mess with this engine as far as rebuilding it. It's toast.

Take any good bolt-on parts off, or out, of the block and either keep them for spares or sell them.

You never know who is going to need a head or two.

Send the block and crank to the scrapper.