Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   POWER STEERING PUMP REBUILD? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/990672-power-steering-pump-rebuild.html)

fordpowerstroke444 09-09-2010 09:10 PM

POWER STEERING PUMP REBUILD?

I am wondering if anyone makes a power steering pump rebuild kit?I have a 2000 f250 7.3.I pulled the pump completely apart to see what made it tick,and why it was wining.It seems that besides a few seals the most wore out parts were the little rotor vanes.Can these be bought or am I just pissing in the wind,and I should just go out and buy a rebuilt pump for 75 bucks?Any info would be great,thanks.:-headbang

150ford 09-09-2010 10:26 PM

i would guess a rebuilt pump would be the best option for this. So what does everybody else think? Hopefully some off the parts guys will chime in here.

clintbonnie 09-09-2010 11:16 PM

I would get one from the Ford... $96 see:
www.partsguyed.com

JockD 09-09-2010 11:17 PM

Rebuilding a power steering pump, like a water pump only makes sense it you really want to do it for the experience. In practical experience, it is better to buy a rebuilt unit due to how easy it is to mess up the overhaul the first time and have to do it over.

Often, these kinds of parts are designed so it takes special tools or fixtures to assemble them properly. Another consideration is that you are messing with a critical safety part.

If quality and durability are your goals, buy a new pump instead of a rebuilt one.

Visseroth 09-09-2010 11:25 PM

Here's a question, kind of relating to the thread, are their high quality extremely better after market PS pumps.

As to your pump, if you want to save money, I'd have to agree, buy a rebuilt and take in your core, but if you want to learn, well, hope you have the tools, doubt I do :p

fordpowerstroke444 09-10-2010 08:02 PM

POWER STEERING PUMP REBUILD

Thanks for the responses.Looks like reman it is.I can get one from carquest out here for about $75.Thanks again.

jackstraw 09-10-2010 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by Visseroth (Post 9312433)
Here's a question, kind of relating to the thread, are their high quality extremely better after market PS pumps.

I've read here before about the Redhead pumps. Not just re-builds, re-engineered pumps. Sounds good to me, I'm kind of saving up for one but for now keeping the original pump topped off with fluid once in a while is working OK while other things are higher on the priority list. Would like to hear more opinions on the idea though.

Waynenap 09-11-2010 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by jackstraw (Post 9315888)
I've read here before about the Redhead pumps. Not just re-builds, re-engineered pumps. Sounds good to me, I'm kind of saving up for one but for now keeping the original pump topped off with fluid once in a while is working OK while other things are higher on the priority list. Would like to hear more opinions on the idea though.

I think the "Redhead's" you are referring to are the steering gear, not the pump.

mueckster 09-11-2010 08:28 AM

I have seen conversion kits that use a Saginaw pump to replace the Ford unit.

ken1mod 09-11-2010 12:39 PM

Gentlemen,

It is certainly possible to wear one out or break one but I have never seen it. I usually just replace the seal and that cures the problem. Seal is easy to change and kind of fun to do. Last one cost 8.00 including the case seal.

The plain bearings obviously run bathed in oil and unless you run it dry, they don't seem to wear at all.

Ken

Stangrcr1 09-11-2010 10:25 PM

AGR. They make a fine pump and also have available a secondary hydraulic ram that adds to the steering power. They also have replacement steering gear that is better than stock.

Find them here: AGR Perfomance, Inc.

As to your pump, if you want to save money, I'd have to agree, buy a rebuilt and take in your core, but if you want to learn, well, hope you have the tools, doubt I do :p

Redhead in Seattle does rebuild steering gear and pumps, but mostly to stock spec. Nothing special, unless you want special and yes that can custom build. IOW, $$$. More than buying AGR.....

kbeefy 09-11-2010 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by ken1mod (Post 9317263)
Gentlemen,

It is certainly possible to wear one out or break one but I have never seen it. I usually just replace the seal and that cures the problem. Seal is easy to change and kind of fun to do. Last one cost 8.00 including the case seal.

The plain bearings obviously run bathed in oil and unless you run it dry, they don't seem to wear at all.

Ken

So, does that fix the 'groaning' pump syndrome? I bought a Motorcraft rebuilt pump for about $90+core, but if I can rebuild it for $10-20 then I'm game.

mueckster 09-11-2010 11:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by kbeefy (Post 9319101)
So, does that fix the 'groaning' pump syndrome? I bought a Motorcraft rebuilt pump for about $90+core, but if I can rebuild it for $10-20 then I'm game.

Resealing the pump is not the same as rebuilding one. The seal kit will solve leaks. But once it has run low too many times, resealing won't cure a scored pump housing. Noise is also caused by air in the system. Though I haven't had to do it, sometimes a vacuum has to be pulled on the pump to remove the air.

Purging —CII Power Steering Pump

Special Tool(s) Vacuum Pump
416-D002 (D95L-7559-A) or Equivalent

CAUTION: If the air is not purged from the power steering system correctly, premature power steering pump failure could result. This condition can occur on pre-delivery vehicles with evidence of aerated fluid or on vehicles that have had steering component repairs.

NOTE: A whine heard from the power steering pump may be caused by air in the system. The power steering purge procedure must be performed prior to any component repair for which power steering noise complaints are accompanied by evidence of aerated fluid.

Remove the reservoir cap. Check the fluid.
Use Motorcraft MERCON® Multi-Purpose ATF XT-2-QDX or MERCON® equivalent.

Attachment 27512

Tightly insert the stopper of the Vacuum Pump into the reservoir.

Start the vehicle.
Apply maximum vacuum and maintain it for a minimum of three minutes with the engine speed set at idle.

Release the vacuum and remove the vacuum pump.
CAUTION: Do not overfill the reservoir.

Fill the reservoir.
Use Motorcraft MERCON® Multi-Purpose ATF XT-2-QDX or MERCON® equivalent.

Reinstall the Vacuum Pump. Apply and maintain maximum vacuum.

CAUTION: Do not hold the steering wheel against the stops for more than three to five seconds at a time. Damage to the power steering pump could occur.

Cycle the steering wheel fully to the left and right every 30 seconds for approximately five minutes.

Stop the engine, release the vacuum, and remove the Vacuum Pump.
Install the reservoir cap.

Check for fluid leaks at all of the connections. If the power steering fluid shows signs of air, repeat this procedure.

kbeefy 09-11-2010 11:30 PM

Thanks for the instructions. I had the ford whine and purged fluid w/ merc V and installed a PS filter. Don't think I let it get low enough to introduce air, but the whine increased to a groan w/ occasional worse noises and feedback in the wheel. Brakes actually feel better. I've driven it about 1000 miles, no improvement. When I purged it I had it on jacks and cycled the wheel many times, until there seemed to be no improvement, checking fluid level every 2-3 cycles.

Visseroth 09-12-2010 12:16 AM

Huh, well wonder if that means my wife needs a new PS pump as well, the fluid is topped, it doesn't leak but it groans like crazy, but it's probably the original PS pump and has 220K on that 3.8 gasser