Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum28/)
-   -   Tailgate Trim (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/989315-tailgate-trim.html)

presidentsdad 09-05-2010 02:39 PM

Tailgate Trim

Hey guys...I have a 96 F250 XLT that has the full width tailgate trim on it. Does anyone know where I can find the three plastic pieces that hold the trim plate in place? I called my Ford dealer and they said you cannot purchase just the plastic pieces...you have to buy the whole trim piece kit for $532 :eek:

The bolts that hold it on are fine, it's just the plastic pieces that are broken. Thanks in advance!

redlightning93 09-05-2010 08:05 PM

Your local JY is your friend on this one.

White 97 xlt 09-05-2010 09:50 PM

Check LMC truck, I think I saw them there... I would look it up and see but I'm time limited at the moment...

There is also National Parts Depot.....

Good luck...

presidentsdad 09-06-2010 10:00 AM

I think I may have found that part number on another thread and ordered them from Millennium Ford. Only $30 including shipping for the three brackets, not too bad for a dealership on a part that isn't made anymore.

presidentsdad 09-16-2010 01:08 PM

Hey all....
I got my parts today! The parts are retainer "clips." I say "clips" because it's really more like a bracket. There is a part number for the middle bracket and yet another for the two side ones. I ordered from Millennium Ford (www.partsguyed.com). They come in packs of two, so you'll actually end up with a spare. You have to order two (2) of E7TZ9942596A (the middle part) and two (2) of E7TZ9942596B (The side parts). You'll have a spare middle part when through. Honestly, I cannot tell the difference between the parts, but whatever! They brackets are $6.60 each and you'll end up buying 4. The shipping was around $10 so it cost me close to $35 + $7 for the hardware (see below) for a total of $42 to fix my slapping tailgate trim.

To install, you obviously have to remove the tailgate trim. That's a 10mm cap nut on the side of the tailgate and six (6) T20 torx screws for the retainer brackets. Remove the broken retainers. To install the new one's there is a relief in the edge of the tailgate trim so you slide the top part in the flange at the top and then the bottom edge goes in the relief at the bottom. Slide to the left or right as appropriate. You may need to bend up the small piece that has been bent down to prevent sliding in order to get it to slide across the trim. Then go check the fit. Once fit is checked, remove and put some 3M double sided tape on the lower half of the bracket (where the large number is) and reinstall. Once in the right place, press down to set the tape to the tailgate trim. Repeat for the other two brackets. Before reinstallation of the trim, install some 7/16" or 1/2" neoprene washers over the screw receivers (the part that goes into the six holes in the tailgate). My original washers were shot so I replaced them. Reinstall tailgate trim (do not over tighten).

The PO had used some non standard screws to "fix" the broken retainers. This didn't work and they rusted badly. The solution was six new #8 x 1" pan head stainless screws with a #8 stainless washer and a 1/4" stainless washer. The original had a rubber gasket, but since I've had Line-X put in, I skipped the rubber washer!

Happy trails!

truckrider814 09-16-2010 07:37 PM

ok so im retarded and need help haha ok so since they come in packs of 2 i just need to order one of each part number? right?

presidentsdad 09-16-2010 11:25 PM

That's what I thought but the guy at Millennium Ford wouldn't split it. IT was onlt 6.60 more, so I told him to go ahead. What I should have done was order another two of the outside ones and have a spare set.

TexasGuy001 09-16-2010 11:34 PM

Thats cool. I'm glad new ones can still be found.