Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum170/)
-   -   Solid axle swap (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/988086-solid-axle-swap.html)

Brutl_Force 09-01-2010 08:59 AM

Solid axle swap

I have a 97 F250HD 4X4 E4OD 4.10 gears. The front end. needs new ball joints, U joints, brakes, everything. All the insane work involved in all those repairs, including dropping the pumpkin for the middle joint, what about a solid front axle swap from a 1 ton?? How hard is it to do, and cost approximate, and what year axle would I want??

I figured as long as I need to repair EVERYTHING in the front axle, plus I am going to put a snow plow on it for the winters, Solid front might be nice.

What do you all think?

Neal 97 250 09-01-2010 09:07 AM

Solid axle is the way to go for sure. Especially with plowing. Usually these axles run about $1000 for a complete axle and everything. They are on ebay all the time.
They can be had for less but you need to do some shopping.

While you are at it you can do the revershackle kit (RSK). It is a bit more work and money but well worth it in the ride.

wildstang 09-01-2010 11:50 AM

Make sure you get as many brackets with it as possible. There is one that people say is obsolete. Also the drive shafts are different the d60 one is shorter and has the double ujoint or known as the cardon I believe. And the yoke off transfer case is different for the double joint. People have used the 250 drive shaft and just shortened It. Also I think you need to know which transfer case you have because output shaft diameters are different.
I got a wicked deal on my d60 paid $300 and it was the 3.55 ratio for me and got everything from the springs down including the springs. But has cost me $100 for a used drive shaft and $50 for a used transfer case yoke. Hopefully start putting it in this week.

Neal 97 250 09-01-2010 12:20 PM

Yes the flange under the drivers side near the pumpkin that the u-bolts go thru. It is obsolete and hard to find.

jchosler 09-01-2010 01:38 PM

double cardon joint is what it's called. I'm still shopping for my setup

Brutl_Force 09-01-2010 06:43 PM

Well, I am looking at $500 for fixing the front end on the IFS that I have, and If I can swap it for about that price, that would be nice... might look at a buying a donor truck. Is there any way to up the legal GVW when swapping to 1 ton front axle, springs and brakes? Or is the rear axle setup weaker than 1 ton???

Riffraff Diesel 09-01-2010 09:50 PM

I have a Dana 50 if you want it. Let me know, came out of the early 99 model. It is complete caliper to caliper.

jchosler 09-01-2010 10:14 PM

It's rare to see an axle for cheaper than $500. rear axle is the same but the springs are not. A lot of people swap in the one ton rear springs especially if they tow, I will when I do my front D60 swap

Shaun lindmark 09-01-2010 10:14 PM

I think it all depends on where you are as for how much it will cost to get a solid axle. I am in Massachusetts and it is hard to find one up here. I search for a while and finally got one complete springs drive shaft absolutely everything for $450. I am putting all new ball joints and u joints in it. I am now into it for $800. It depends on how long and hard you search, there out there. Oh and since you have a 97 you might want to look for an axle that came out of a 95 or newer otherwise it has a different style caliper. Imo 1994 and older style slide pins suck. Had them on my last truck. One question I got the f-350 drive shaft with the axle and it looks like it will bolt up to the yoke off of my transfer case but you guys are saying it won't. Just wondering why it wont work ? Thanks

jchosler 09-01-2010 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by Shaun lindmark (Post 9284427)
I think it all depends on where you are as for how much it will cost to get a solid axle. I am in Massachusetts and it is hard to find one up here. I search for a while and finally got one complete springs drive shaft absolutely everything for $450. I am putting all new ball joints and u joints in it. I am now into it for $800. It depends on how long and hard you search, there out there. Oh and since you have a 97 you might want to look for an axle that came out of a 95 or newer otherwise it has a different style caliper. Imo 1994 and older style slide pins suck. Had them on my last truck. One question I got the f-350 drive shaft with the axle and it looks like it will bolt up to the yoke off of my transfer case but you guys are saying it won't. Just wondering why it wont work ? Thanks

I think the length won't work. I forget but I think 99 and newer front D60's won't work because those are different bolt patterns, and non serviceable bearings, could be 03 or newer, I forget :confused:. I don't see a problem with the slide pin style calipers, I've never heard of them failing :-rip

jchosler 09-01-2010 11:02 PM

Where are you from OP because in Colorado and the surrounding states, axles aren't cheap

Shaun lindmark 09-02-2010 05:31 AM

The axle I got was a 95 so its the same year as my truck. If someone has a little more info on the drive shaft info that would be awesome. I personally dnt care for they use to slide out on me and other guys I know. I just think its a poor design. That's just me though.

wildstang 09-02-2010 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by Shaun lindmark (Post 9284427)

the ujoint is actually narrower on the cardon joint then the regular f250 ujoint. so the holes won't match up.

Brutl_Force 09-02-2010 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by jchosler (Post 9284608)
Where are you from OP because in Colorado and the surrounding states, axles aren't cheap

Central Minnesota. Off Road 4X4 building is not huge here, but it is existent. I have not even looked at prices around here yet.

My still unanswered question is if I put a 1 ton front axle and brakes on my 250 diesel, ( It already has 1 ton rear springs) can I get the legal GVW increased??? Since I understand that the HD 250 shares the same frame with a 350, can I increase the legal GVW???????

wildstang 09-02-2010 02:31 PM

I think this is the guy I got my yoke from for the 350 shaft DIESEL FORD PARTS I had him ship it to me.