Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum41/)
-   -   Fiberglass front clip (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/987485-fiberglass-front-clip.html)

roljr 08-30-2010 10:56 AM

Fiberglass front clip

Just wondering how many members have a fiberglass front tilt. If you have one and can post a picture that would be great. My fenders are past repairing and I can pick up a clip reasonable, but my first choice was to go with fiberglass fenders and keep the original look and lines. I think if I mounted the hood chrome on a clip it would bring it more to my liking.The clip I'm looking at doesn't have any of the hood cut outs or raised panel line on each side. All opions would be appreciated.

Bob :9

jniolon 08-30-2010 12:27 PM

Bob,

mine will have but truck isn't complete... here something for you to consider

http://www.clubfte.com/users/jniolon...gfulltilt.html

there are a few more completed units and in progress on the forum some more will be by shortly

later
john

Julies Cool F1 08-30-2010 12:49 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Ah you started a thread on this too - good!

Personally, I prefer the metal. I think it's actually lighter than the glass ( I can carry my entire front clip around on my back) and it doesn't spider crack if it's hit by rocks from the tires.

Also, if you get hit, it's lots easier and lots less expensive to replace one component than the one piece fiberglass clip (if you can't repair it)

In answer to your PM question, on mine (and remember mine is a 51 with the different grille) we removed the inner fenders, and also the hood dam inside the clip. The sheet metal sections are all bolted together, mounted on a hinged carrier, and raised by a 400# electric lineal actuator.

We intentionally did not install clasps at the running board fender seam because the differences in movement in those two pieces will tear them up if not "hard" joined.

There is enough curvature on the cab and enough spring tension in the fenders to hold them up against the cab when tucked in behind the curve in the running board. The large OEM sponge rubber fender weld acts as a perfect seal/pad. The actuator holds the hood assembly tightly in place

About two years ago (maybe less) we replaced both front fenders (because the bottom backs were eaten away from the tension I described from clasps. It took about an hour maybe two to grind off the old bolts and change out the fenders. (just FYI, 48-50 front F1 Fenders are a little easier to find, but in 2007/8ish, my two replacement 51 F1 fenders cost me almost $400 EACH and only the uppers)

Here's a couple of pictures:

Attachment 27033

Attachment 27034

Attachment 27035

PS. Being able to sit on the tire and change the plugs, or polish the chrome sure makes life VERY easy!

sdetweil 08-30-2010 12:50 PM

yeh, but he has the earlier body style.. 48-52 with the pointy nose..

haven't seen too many full tilt on those

I know Julie does

Sam

epp 08-31-2010 07:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)
mine does from fairlane which went out of business due to economy

ALBUQ F-1 08-31-2010 08:32 AM

A lot of the front clips in 'glas are "racing" weight fiberglas, very thin. There is (was?) an outfit in Florida selling these in particular that cautions that it is flimsy and not real suitable for street use. The description of this one with no hood lines or openings sounds suspiciously like one of those.

Sorry to hear about Fairlane, I knew they moved about 5 yrs ago, they made quality stuff. I have their running boards.

epp 08-31-2010 09:43 AM

mine is very sturdy. Couldn't be happier. I use the same setup as Julie to raise and lower it, (she has a great doc on doing a tilt hood). Several of the craftsman from fairlane started a different company, and offer nice running boards ect.

Julies Cool F1 08-31-2010 02:11 PM

I sent the write up to the OP this morning.

I think he has a fiberglass clip that he's found already - unless I'm talking to two different people about the same thing and am confused (wouldn't be the first time).

Here's a place that carries them new ($1700 out the door!) There are the occasional Sellers who have dog houses for sale, but NEVER in your area! And they are not as expensive as buying the parts. I wonder if Ilya still has his for sale?

Ford Pickup Fenders

terryb4471 08-31-2010 09:00 PM

The shop were Fairlane made the fiberglass parts is starting to make fiberglass parts. Its under a different name. (MTK Fiberglass LLC.)The shop is in St. Johns Michigan. I was there 2 weeks ago to pickup some rear fenders. I can't seem to find their phone number. They list their parts on ebay. I asked them about the one piece front end because I want to purchase one. They said they are not making one now, but they may start to make one at a later date.

fish-albuq 09-01-2010 09:53 AM

I am with Julie on the metal vs. fiberglass. I went with metal and iam glad i did. Took a while to get it to work just right but it was worth the time.

fish