Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum117/)
-   -   94 idi fuel filter housing leak on top (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/986041-94-idi-fuel-filter-housing-leak-on-top.html)

BUT 08-25-2010 11:15 AM

94 idi fuel filter housing leak on top

I have a slight fuel leak on top of my fuel filter housing. It looks wettest around the wire that comes out on the fender side. It is loosing the fill over night and is hard to start some mornings. Just wondering if this might be a sign the fuel filter needs changing or I need a new housing.

This is the housing with screw on bottom plate with some kind of small tube that plugs in the bottom and always falls off. It also smokes blue pretty good when cold. Helps keep the skeeters under control. Other than that it just keeps running great. Pulls like a Dozer.

rupejosh 08-25-2010 01:30 PM

it sounds like your fuel heater is leaking send me a private message with your email add and i will send you the directions on how to fix it

BUT 08-27-2010 03:35 PM

Thanks Rupe. I'll be getting after that this weekend. Will let you know if I run into anything out of the ordinary.

blue bomber123 03-21-2013 02:09 PM

1994 f250 idi turbo

my truck takes a little while to start up and then when i start going it dies on me. I replaced the lift pump, and it still is doing the same thing. Im pretty sure its not the injectors or the IP, i also dropped both fuel tanks and cleaned them, and again it does the same thing. Any thoughts of what it could be. Also could it be somthing simple like my fuel flitler housing that is sucking to much air in the fuel lines?

tecgod13 03-21-2013 08:16 PM

Replace the return lines.

speedwrench72 03-23-2013 12:12 AM

how old is the fuel fillter, the fillter housing is prone to tiny leak at the fuel heater wire port, on top,,small o ring up there...will leak tiny amount of fuel when engine is running and drip down the back side so u have trouble seeing the leak,,and lets air in over nite,,serious air leaks,,the engine will start,,then die,, and need two or more min of cranking,,to start, one way to find leaks is to temprarily install electric pump, mount it near tank to pressureize the hole system,,temp block off return line's and look for leak's

speedwrench72 03-23-2013 12:22 AM

I used this method to find a tiny worn thru spot on my metal fuel line on frame rail...vibration rubbed thru...110k..on odo forward of the tank switch,, I removed the section of fuel line, and installed small flow thru low pressure pump, mostly for filling new fillters and incase my wife runs the thing out of fuel...works great..:-jammin

Red454sedgwick 03-23-2013 02:01 PM

A temporay fix that I have done it use some break clearner to clean of the top of the filter houseing and spray painted it. it stopped the drip for awhile, but I never had priming problems, currently I have abunch of gas and oil gule stopping it from leaking.

Donnel1976 03-24-2013 11:19 AM

Need some help here, sounds a lot like what's going on with my 90 7.3 non turbo. Truck ran great when I bought it, but had jiffy lube change out the fuel filter and they talked me into doing a fuel system clean for free, wishing I hadn't done it, now the trucks harder to start and blows blueish grey smoke at startup. Trucks been dieing on me as we'll now, acts like its out of gas, does a fast idle then shakes and stalls. Thinking it may be fuel pump but nt sure. Did see some gas leaking when the truck is parked nose down on a hill , looks like its coming from fuel pump?? Also had alittle fuel on outside of filter they just put on. I knew I should of just changed it myself. Any help would be appreated

Chevy_Eater 03-24-2013 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by speedwrench72 (Post 12981941)
I used this method to find a tiny worn thru spot on my metal fuel line on frame rail...vibration rubbed thru...110k..on odo forward of the tank switch,, I removed the section of fuel line, and installed small flow thru low pressure pump, mostly for filling new fillters and incase my wife runs the thing out of fuel...works great..:-jammin

You know, with all the issues I've had with bad fuel gauges, pickup tubes, switchover valves, I like this idea.
SW, being 'flow thru' means you can permanently leave it in place and it won't interfere with the mechanical lift pump? In years past I've experimented on gas engines and the electric pumps when off restricted the draw from the mechanical pump. I assume that's because these were regular electric pumps and not a 'flow thru' prime pump?

:-hijacked

Red454sedgwick 03-24-2013 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by Donnel1976 (Post 12985752)
Need some help here, sounds a lot like what's going on with my 90 7.3 non turbo. Truck ran great when I bought it, but had jiffy lube change out the fuel filter and they talked me into doing a fuel system clean for free, wishing I hadn't done it, now the trucks harder to start and blows blueish grey smoke at startup. Trucks been dieing on me as we'll now, acts like its out of gas, does a fast idle then shakes and stalls. Thinking it may be fuel pump but nt sure. Did see some gas leaking when the truck is parked nose down on a hill , looks like its coming from fuel pump?? Also had alittle fuel on outside of filter they just put on. I knew I should of just changed it myself. Any help would be appreated

Sometimes when you do that cleaning deal it breaks abunch of crap loos and it can come around and plug the new filter or something else

speedwrench72 03-27-2013 10:28 PM

the pump i used is the lowest pressure model they make i didn't think it wood be a good Idea to expose the manual pump to high presure, you can easily blow thru this pump..the model with around 9lbs is a factory replace ment lift pump for chev diesel 1996 I think...and flows aprox 25-35 gph,,a truck geting 5mpg uses about 12 gph, it should keep up unless you crank up your pump,witch im not doing,:-jammin seeing that im NA

Chevy_Eater 03-28-2013 07:59 PM

I like this idea of a prime pump yet retaining the mechanical lift pump. I'm going to install one next time I pull my bed to finish my fuel tank work.
I'm assuming there's no issue mounting it between the selector valve and the mechanical pump so it can draw from either tank?

speedwrench72 03-28-2013 10:21 PM

thats what i did, just forward of the tank selector valve, Airtex model 8251,ther are several models available and manufactures...3-5lbs..5-9..7-12...IMO, the higher the pressure the harder it would be to draw thru them due to the check valve spring tension??? on a na moter 5lbs is enuff :-jammin

Chevy_Eater 03-29-2013 03:50 PM

Thanks SW! :-X22