Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 to 2016 Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum30/)
-   -   ARB/ Old Man Emu Lift Kit (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/984788-arb-old-man-emu-lift-kit.html)

english kanigit 08-21-2010 07:55 AM

ARB/ Old Man Emu Lift Kit

Anybody have actually hand on (ass in the seat?) experience with when of these?

Now that I've moved to Oklahoma I'm finding out the hard way that the Okies can't pave a road worth a damn. I figure if the OME stuff is designed around the roads in the outback it ought to laugh at the crappy roads here. I doubt having more suspension travel would hurt either...

Ek

Ace! 08-21-2010 11:11 AM

I don't, but there is a guy in Oklahoma, Bob Supplee. He has a 4wheel drive shop and has the best customer service I've ever received anywhere anytime. I think this is his information:

Bob Supplee. (405) 799-8977

I usually call around a bit, then get amazed by his prices and customer service. He always "drop ships" stuff to me because I'm on the west coast, but I still buy through him if I can't easily get something local.

I only have experience with OME stuff on other vehicles, but it's always been top of the line quality. They typically don't offer the height of other lifts (I guess there are restrictions in Australia about altering ride height), but the ride is usually better than stock (in Jeep and Toyota products where I've seen it used). I wouldn't hesitate to use OME stuff if I only wanted about 2" of lift.

QwkTrip 08-21-2010 11:42 AM

I don't have experience in a Superduty, but I do have a complete Old Man Emu suspension on my 2000 Jeep Cherokee (the boxy style with solid axles front and rear). For Jeeps, Old Man Emu is an outstanding system, and yet most people don't use them because they are expensive and use minimal lift to achieve goals. Most people looking for a suspension want more height because they do it mainly for looks or to fit massive tires.

Lift kits for Jeeps are nearly always very stiff and harsh because all they think about is aggressive off road driving. OME was the only supplier I found that owns and uses an automotive test ground, like the car manufacturers, to develop and tune suspensions. All I can say is it shows in the product. In my case, the spring rates are more than stock and my load capacity went up, and yet the ride quality is so far above stock it's silly. Brake dive is gone (this was a real problem in my Cherokee). Body roll is gone. It articulates well and rolls over any urban obstacle smoothly. The only time I notice it is stiffer than stock is when moving slowly over little drops and bumps.

I'm betting your major complaint is the truck is harsh and jittery over rough road? I'm not sure how much difference a suspension alone is going to make. Much of my good ride in the Cherokee is from the tire selection. You're going to need some bigger & softer tires to smooth out those bumps and that is going to hammer fuel economy and towing capability. And frankly, at the end of the day it will still be a truck made to carry weight and will have a less than desirable ride quality when unloaded. Before you spend the big bucks on suspension, tires, and gears, I suggest you just add 500-1000 pounds of weight in the bed. You will be surprised with how much that will improve your ride and you'll lose only 1/2 to 1 mpg fuel economy. If that doesn't do the trick you can think about a full suspension. Or maybe an F150 would be a better compromise for your life style.

english kanigit 08-22-2010 07:27 PM

Thanks QwkTrip, I am well aware that the F-250 is a truck and will ride like one. ;)

I am after a couple of things, a little bit of lift, more suspension travel and an overall better engagement with terra firma. I love the stability of my truck and don't want to loose that by jacking it to the heavens.

Ace, thanks for the lead. I will probably be getting in touch with your fellow later this week.

Ek

firewalker250SD 10-23-2011 10:31 AM

I'm bumping this post to keep it going. I recently added an ARB Old Man Emu lift to my FzJ80 Toyota Landcruiser. I read about it from many other users. Anyone that thinks it makes the vehicle ride stiff isn't into trucks. This setup is a pleasure to operate on and off-road.

I like it so much that I found this post looking for info on adding OME to my F-250. I will be removing my current lift to go this route as money allows and I bet I won't be dissapointed.

wantaford 05-25-2014 12:28 AM

Bump - I am interested in this Old Man EMU Kit too, any one used it. Pros & Cons??

beef tits 03-04-2018 09:01 AM

Another bump! Digging deep here...

Who has ponied up for the OME lift?

I hear this kit rides good but how good are we talking?

2" lift is perfect, anything more seems silly.

Ace! 04-15-2019 07:55 PM

Yeah, bought the front springs. Nicer than stock, a couple inches taller, less dive. I'm going to replace the shocks (front and rear) and add 2" taller blocks in the rear as my F250 sits very slightly nose high now. I expect the ride with my camper installed to be much better than stock. My 34" tires look a little small.

beef tits 09-12-2019 03:04 PM

Sorry to keep digging this thread up but I just ordered this kit!

Jo7.3 09-12-2019 05:17 PM

Did you order front and rear springs or just the front? I have a very slight level at the moment, but I'm looking at this kit to get a bit more height and hopefully a better ride.

beef tits 09-12-2019 09:18 PM

I ordered the whole kit minus the shocks, as I have Bilstein 5100s that are pretty new. Front and rear springs, u bolts, panhard rod, and extra leafs for the rear. I'm not buying it for the lift, but for the ride quality. Frankly I wish it didn't lift the truck at all - height has never been an issue.

RunninCold 01-22-2020 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by beef tits (Post 18847533)
I ordered the whole kit minus the shocks, as I have Bilstein 5100s that are pretty new. Front and rear springs, u bolts, panhard rod, and extra leafs for the rear. I'm not buying it for the lift, but for the ride quality. Frankly I wish it didn't lift the truck at all - height has never been an issue.

Did you install the OME kit? How does it ride?

beef tits 01-22-2020 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by RunninCold (Post 19071276)
Did you install the OME kit? How does it ride?

I haven’t got the rear on yet but the front is noticeable softer and it is much more pliable off road.

Still sorting out my final weight needs / whether or not the extra spring should go in. Also whether or not I sell this POS or send it to the crusher.

A few disclaimers to support my statement that it’s softer:

I went from x code springs which were super stiff

It still doesn’t ride like a car, it’s a fat pig and alway will be. You won’t be racing down trails.

I am not using the OME shocks which could very well make it ride entirely different

hodge5 01-22-2020 02:30 PM

No experience with OME on a Superduty, but I have their springs under my CJ. Huge improvement, and they flex nice. I have a friend with a full size Land Cruiser wagon in Haiti, and he has OME springs/lift on it. Tough as nails.
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...5647441ea.jpeg
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...21cf32cf90.jpg

SuperDutyScaler 01-22-2020 05:04 PM

Where did you even find the level kit at? I was told they discontinued the super duty line years ago