Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   Intermitant Rough Idle, No Power! (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/984028-intermitant-rough-idle-no-power.html)

KH85 08-18-2010 05:25 PM

Intermitant Rough Idle, No Power!

Ok guys seems like this is a very common problem, I just need some advise on where to start. My truck was experiencing a small loss of power at high speed, (50mph plus gettin on the freeway). So I changed the fuel filter and it got way worse, the old filter was very dirty. No I have a massive loss of power at all speeds and a slightly rough idle. For what its worth I do get decent power when my turbo boost up, (dont know my boost levels though with no guage.)

Any help would be great. Thanks.

F350-6 08-18-2010 07:32 PM

Loss of power at high speed or under load is usually a sign of a fuel restriction. How many miles were on the old fuel filter? Sounds like the in tank mods should move up on your list of future mods.

There are 2 cylinder shaped screens inside the mixing chamber in the fuel tank that can get clogged up over time. When these get clogged, they start giving symptoms under load or when accelerating on the freeway.

I'd check the basics like engine oil. Is it full and when was the last time it was changed? Air filter in good shape?

KH85 08-18-2010 08:34 PM

No idea how old the fuel filter was. It was on the truck when I bought it in April, it was the oem style with the lid being seperate from the filter thats all I know.

Oil level is good, just changed it less than 500 miles ago in June. And the air filter is also like new its the 6637 with Petes cover.

It seems to me like a lack of fuel to, but its really bad now. Under heavy throttle it falls on its face. It also sounds almost like its missing/knocking at an idle!

F350-6 08-18-2010 08:49 PM

Starving for fuel will make your injectors knock and sound like a mechanical problem.

The more you describe your problem, the more it's sounding like the screens in the mixing chamber.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gal...d=215849&.jpg=

See the difference in clean vs. dirty. The way to fix the problem is just to get rid of them. Just be sure to place some type of diesel compatible in line filter between the tank and the pump to catch any large debris that may get pumped in the tank. It doesn't have to be a good filter, just something around 100 microns to protect the pump.

Here's how to do the mods and get rid of that, and a couple of other, issues. Welcome to guzzle's In-tank Hutch Mod Web Page

KH85 08-18-2010 09:06 PM

Ok. Sounds good. One question before I dive into that. My fuel pump humms very loudly (has gotten louder in the last month), should I check this out at all? Is the only way to check the fuel pump to check the fuel line pressure?

And also what is the best way to do the intank mod? Round up parts or buy a kit? I am usually a fan of kits that are all put together if its not that much more expensive. So if a kit is my best bet, where should I go to get it?

F350-6 08-18-2010 09:22 PM

A loud fuel pump can be caused by a restriction in the tank. Sinister diesel has a kit for the in tank mods. Riffraff probably has one, but I haven't looked there. Diesel Innovations has a very basic and very affordable kit.

I did the DIY version, spent a lot of time rounding up parts and calling and speaking with the Baldwin engineer about what filter to use and I basically ended up with the same stuff in the DI stainless kit.

KH85 08-18-2010 09:43 PM

Seems like the DI kit is more in my price range right now. But to clairify basically the only difference in the DI and Sinister kits are the pre-pump filter rite? Is the small in line filter in the DI kit a good filter or is it worth the money to get the high dollar filter assembly that comes with the Sinister kit?

Thanks again for the help. I really hope this is my problem, I cant wait to have my PSD back! Havent had it for over 2 weeks now due to new trany and now this!

KH85 08-19-2010 01:01 AM

Also wondering if I run the truck how it is will I risk damaging the injectors or any other parts?

I have a little over a quarter tank of fuel and would like to run some more fuel out of it before I drop the tank. I figure the less fuel I have in the tank the easier it will be to handle when I drop it.

dn29626 08-19-2010 05:23 AM

Test for clog in the tank.
Disconnect fuel line infeed from the frame pump. If nothing comes out (or very little), you have a clog. Use compressed air and with the fuel tank cap off, blow air into the tank to (temporarily) open the clog.
Reconnect fuel line to pump, cycle the ignition key 5 to 10 times to fill the lines. Go for a test drive. Has the power been restored?

You can DIY in-tank mod for under $50. Nothing special about the parts.

F350-6 08-19-2010 06:05 AM

I use the same filter that comes in the DI kit. Running your truck now won't hurt anything except you'll continue to have the same symptoms. Your fuel filter will keep bad things out of your injectors.

As mentioned, you can verify the fuel pressure issue before diving in. Either with the method mentioned above, or by putting a gauge on it and watching the pressure.

KH85 08-19-2010 11:51 AM

Ok sounds good guys! Im gona try the air method and see what happens hopefully it does the trick and ill do the in-tank mods.

Thanks again ill keep ya posted!

KH85 08-20-2010 11:00 AM

Boy do I love FTE!:-X25 Did the air check this mornin and what do ya know.....I got about 99% of my power back! The only time it stuttered was when I stood on it and got to about 70 it stuttered at tab. So I believe you guys found my problem. So now on to the in-tank mod..........Now if I only had some time to do it!:-X04