Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tennessee Chapter (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum95/)
-   -   Bitter sweet day (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/982945-bitter-sweet-day.html)

Dads79 08-14-2010 10:15 PM

Bitter sweet day

My wife has been needing a new car for sometime now.She's had her car since fall of 97. She has wanted an Escape,and I told her if they fall under the 0% interest we'd go look. Today was the day. We have been saving (thanks Dave Ramsey),but still wasn't enough to get the payments in our range.So I asked if they would look at my 79 shortbed. They offered me $3000 for it and I wanted $5000.We settled for $4200,and where able to get her a very nice Escape XLT well within our budget.I was hard to leave it there,but to see my wife so happy on the way home was worth it. And my daughter will get the old Firebird for herself. It will be a few years before I get another one. This time looking for a 53-56. If anyone see's a 79 F-150 4x4, green in Franklin area I have the info on it.

nflfreak43 08-14-2010 10:34 PM

oh man, sad to hear that ya let the 79 go. but you said it was to make your lady happy, so i guess it was worth it.

jdecker88 08-15-2010 03:48 PM

That is a hard loss, generally it works out better to get the dealer financing then get a Credit union to cut you a deal in a few months did it with my wife for her vehicle.

Greywolf 08-16-2010 05:34 PM

That means they are selling your old truck for $8 or $9k...
(Hate to be a killjoy, but that's what they do. DOUBLE the value of any trade-in and off it as used - they will never give you it's resale value. They need to make commisission for the sales butthole, dealer fees, transfer fees, and also PROFIT from the resale.)

TELL YOU ANYTHING?

You'd have been better off selling your truck yourself, and banking the cash.

NEVER trade in anything, it's a rip-off.

(?) Or did you think they were not planning to make a considerable amount of money off of the deal?
DEALERS WORK LIKE THAT - get it!

They do NOTHING that does not bank them cash...

How did you think salesmen could afford suits so that they could sit in the air conditioning all day while the service area guys worked their butts off? You surely didn't think they made an hourly wage did you? They get a cut off of the sale to every single SUCKER

-and that includes USED vehicles.

In my honest opinion you got rooked, sorry about that but in my view it is true.

The dealerships MUST make a profit, or they fail. They are very good at making money off of the general public such as you and I.

IT IS OUR OWN INDIVIDUAL FAULT IF WE FALL FOR IT UNDER PRESSURE

*DON'T accept the pressure...

You know what scares salespeople the most?
The fear that we realise that we have "WALK-AWAY" power...

That we can just shut down, close our minds to WHATEVER come-on's that they use, and just walk the (F) out without buying anything....

Having told you that - you should play with the idea.

SERIOUSLY!

~Wolf

PS: The most dastardly and convoluted strategy that sales people use is to challenge you that you can afford a thing -
Consider: You are told you CANNOT afford a thing.

What is your response? You move heaven and earth to prove that you can get it....
Instead - you should just say "KMA!"

Because AGAIN they are "SELLING", but they are selling you the ideation that you need to prove something - often to the point where you are over-extended and YOU KNOW IT

"A bird is a beautiful thing, I can flip someone the BIRD and never come back..."

ALWAYS, ALWAYS, remember that you DON'T HAVE TO COMMIT TO ANYTHING

PRESERVE your ability to just walk away. I can't imagine why so many people are stupid about that...

Which reminds me of something I heard somewhere:
"CHARISMA seldom survives a kick in the crotch"

~Remember that I said that, the next time you deal with a salesperson

TNVOL 08-16-2010 10:21 PM

Sorry to hear you had to let go of the 79, I remember seeing your post in the classifieds when you were trying to sell it and it looked like a sweet ride. In my opinion it sounds like you did the right thing considering the situation.

Customcab 08-17-2010 09:21 AM

I agree with TNVOL;
In today's world; tough choices have to be made and your change in vehicles plans opens doors for other options.
I recently sold a truck; that wasn't even advertise; but life too short to worry about it; and yes as Greywolf mention those salesman on car lots are like sharks; But you got to do what you got to do!!

maples01 08-17-2010 06:28 PM

T be honest, they gave you nothing for it, just cut some of their overhead and the sellers profit, they have $5000 to play with when selling, I've watched dad go on a lot with cash when buying a vehicle. The market is off for selling a vehicle, the economy is teetering on a depression, we ain't there yet, give Washington time, if you have money, it's time for buying, because stuff ain't selling, everyone is holding on to their money. Glad she's happy, you should get great mileage out of it.