Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   engine detail (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/982213-engine-detail.html)

Joe28443 08-12-2010 07:00 AM

engine detail

Well I am having my truck picked up today and having a full detail done to it for my birthday from my wife. What do I have to tell the guy to watch out for under the hood as far as not soaking or getting wet with a pressure washer? Thanks

Ponyboychris 08-12-2010 07:13 AM

cover the alternator and power steering pump. I would not recommend high water pressure - just normal pressure from a hose and lots of degreaser. Too many electrical connections under their that don't like water.

riverrat41 08-12-2010 07:23 AM

X2 on what Chris said.I would cover that 6637 as well.The paper will soak up that water if they get it on there.

Joe28443 08-12-2010 07:30 AM

The gpcm probably needs it too right? It makes me a little nervous, I might have him stay away from under the hood even though it needs it

miller_feed 08-12-2010 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by Joe28443 (Post 9210163)
The gpcm probably needs it too right? It makes me a little nervous, I might have him stay away from under the hood even though it needs it

Good idea about him staying away from under the hood. That is something you can do yourself and do a better job.
What do you mean about having your truck picked up? NO, one will ever come and pick up my truck to do work on it, besides a wrecker if need be.

Just have him do a little extra on the outside and inside instead of cleaning the engine. But this is just me.

Joe28443 08-12-2010 07:44 AM

i dont like the idea either but i cannot figure a way of getting it done today if he doesn't pick it up. I have to work and look after my child this morning. My wife wants it done before we leave to go out of town tomorrow. It sucks but..........

Joe28443 08-12-2010 08:42 AM

He come got it, I am having him stay away from under the hood

miller_feed 08-12-2010 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by Joe28443 (Post 9210414)
He come got it, I am having him stay away from under the hood

At this point there is only one thing left to do. Post pics when you get it back.

Joe28443 08-12-2010 09:16 AM

I have never posted pics but I will definatley try, I miss it already. I had the side windows tinted lightly yesterday to keep it a little cooler

Nick 99 08-12-2010 09:54 AM

This a little off subject but please don't burn me to bad. I used to take my 1980 VW diesel rabbit to the local do it yourself car wash and wash my motor. I would spray down with Simple green let it set, then hit it hard with the spray wand. One of the well meaning bystanders came over to me when I was spraying the simple green and got very upset that I was killing the ignition system, (he didn't know about the diesel). I told him that I though it would okay, and said I wanted to do some work on it and didn't like to work on a dirty motor. I sprayed hard with the hot soap and water, then followed with just the hot water. I watched the guy shaking his head and pacing in the background. I finished washing the entire car. I took my time and washed the windows, wheels etc. When I finally got into the car and started it up with no problems, the guy couldn't believe it! I had open the hood and show him that since this was diesel and had no spark plugs, water had no effect. Not sure he understand what the diesel meant but he was still shaking his head when I drove away.
Nick

Joe28443 08-12-2010 10:02 AM

I figured once I get it back I will slowly clean underneath the hood.