Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.7L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum205/)
-   -   Traded a 2010 Dodge for 2011 Ford (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/981194-traded-a-2010-dodge-for-2011-ford.html)

DFWCabinetman 08-08-2010 06:24 PM

Traded a 2010 Dodge for 2011 Ford

Earlier this week I traded in my loaded 2010 Dodge 2500 crew cab Laramie 4x4 Cummins for a loaded 2011 F250 CC FX4 KR PSD. So far I couldn't be happier with the change.

At the first of this year I traded my 2007 Chevy 2500 Z71 LTZ dmax for the Dodge. I really liked the Chevy, but I was feeling the itch for a new truck and I thought that the Dodge would be a nice change. The interior was far better than the Dmax with loads more storage and the Cummins had similar power to the LMM. The Dodge also had some nice features like a rear entertainment system and ventilated seats that weren't even available on the Dmax when I bought mine.

The issue I had with the Dodge was how it drove. The steering has a lot of slop on dead center and very little feedback. I thought I could get used to it, but I never did. Add in a ride that was more harsh than the Chevy and less composed pulling my 11k 5er and I soon was regretting buying the Cummins.

Now that I am in the Ford I feel a lot more comfortable. The steering is a little light for my taste, but it has much better feedback than the Dodge. Also, the ride is light years better than either the Dodge or my previous Chevy.

There are other areas that the new Ford has an edge as well. The Sync system, while not as good as the setup in my 2011 Nissan GT-R, is considerably better than Uconnect in the Dodge. I got so frustrated with the voice only control for the bluetooth that I stopped using it. It would also lock up when using my Ipod from time to time requiring me to unhook the device to get it working again. The Ford also has more comfortable seats. I found myself shifting a lot in the Dodge to try and stay comfortable on long drives. Finally, the a/c blows colder in the Ford which is a big plus on these 100 degree plus days we are currently having in North Texas.

There are a few small things I feel like are missing on the Ford. I miss being able to pull up my tire pressures in the MFD. I would rather have this feature than the cool looking off-road display. Also, the Dodge had a provision to adjust the TPMS so you could run less pressure in the rear tires when the truck was unloaded. Next, I really wish Ford had engineered a larger gas tank for the SB CC trucks. My Dodge had a 34 gallon tank and I got spoiled with the extra capacity. Finally, why has Ford not added one touch up to the power windows? My wife's 2010 Expedition has this on the driver's side and the Dodge had it on both front windows. I realize these are small issues, but I've come to expect these options on a truck in this price range.

I'm looking forward to getting the upcoming flash and hooking this truck up to my trailer. Right now the power feels about the same as the Cummins off the line and a bit stronger at passing speeds unloaded. I'm guess after it gets broken in and I get the power flash my Ford will feel stronger in every situation.

If somebody is cross shopping these two trucks feel free to ask me any questions you have. I'm not the brand loyal type so I will give you my unbiased opinion.

rickatic 08-08-2010 07:10 PM

Welcome to the site where the best Ford tech help is available. Thanks for your candid review of all 3 brands. I look forward to hearing more comparisons as you get more miles on your Ford.

Regards

Champ198 08-10-2010 06:47 PM

DFWCabinetman,

I'm on the fence over ordering a 6.6 4x4 Crew Cab 3500 HD (11,600 GVWR)or a 6.7 F350 (11,500 GVWR). I love the Ford, just wonder if the mileage will still be alot worse than Dodge or Chevy Dmax. Also, I'm concerned over the fuel in the oil based on Ford's method of regens.

Do you have any mileage numbers yet in such a short ownership period? What is your gear ratio? 3.73?

Thanks!

rickatic 08-10-2010 07:17 PM

I can not speak to the mileage of OB's except from an anecdotal position. From what I hear from the posters at RVnet they get similar mileage. Mine has 6900 miles on it and gets 21.5 highway, 19 or so city and 12 pulling my 13000 pound fiver at 65 mph. I keep hearing mention of the fuel in the oil issue from posters but nothing from the techs from this site that I trust.

6.7Fan 08-10-2010 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by rickatic (Post 9204933)
I can not speak to the mileage of OB's except from an anecdotal position. From what I hear from the posters at RVnet they get similar mileage. Mine has 6900 miles on it and gets 21.5 highway, 19 or so city and 12 pulling my 13000 pound fiver at 65 mph. I keep hearing mention of the fuel in the oil issue from posters but nothing from the techs from this site that I trust.

It would have been nice to have that question posed to Chris Brewer and hear his response. I may go back through that thread and see if it was asked.

FishOnOne 08-10-2010 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by rickatic (Post 9197503)
Welcome to the site where the best Ford tech help is available. Thanks for your candid review of all 3 brands. I look forward to hearing more comparisons as you get more miles on your Ford.

Regards

Rickatic,
You need to recruit DFW to participate at RVnet! Wouldn't that be a pi$$er for your buddy Rick!

rickatic 08-10-2010 11:17 PM

Troy,

I see you have been following along over there. I received a pm from Rick and all is well. He admits he is still teed off at Ford over the 6.0 trucks he had in his fleet and it distorts his view. I get beat up a little from time to time but they will never get me to quit pointing out the out right lies that are passed as fact.

Regards

DFWCabinetman 08-11-2010 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by Champ198 (Post 9204808)
DFWCabinetman,

I'm on the fence over ordering a 6.6 4x4 Crew Cab 3500 HD (11,600 GVWR)or a 6.7 F350 (11,500 GVWR). I love the Ford, just wonder if the mileage will still be alot worse than Dodge or Chevy Dmax. Also, I'm concerned over the fuel in the oil based on Ford's method of regens.

Do you have any mileage numbers yet in such a short ownership period? What is your gear ratio? 3.73?

Thanks!

I don't have any solid mileage data on the 6.7 PSD. My LMM Dmax averaged around 15 mpg unloaded and 10 with my fiver attached. The 6.7 Cummins never got better than 14 mpg unloaded, but got around 10 mpg with the trailer just like my Dmax did. The MFD on my new Ford has been hovering around 15mpg for the first two tanks.

It is important to note that I have a lead foot and drive about 70% of the time in town which keeps my mpg low.

senix 08-11-2010 08:14 AM

Subscribing.

Just kind of following alone but thought I would comment on the fuel in the oil situation since i have the 6.4.

I do not, never have had any in my oil. Several do. the regen process and the increased EGR use I think are the primary causes of this fuel in the oil.

I think that the 6.7 is still maybe a little to new for this issue to arise, if it is going too. The only way to know for sure is when OA's start to happen.

Also one other thing to consider is when and how the regens occur vs the 6.4. 6.4 is gonna have a more aggressive schedule because of the lack of DEF.

Just some thoughts.

FishOnOne 08-11-2010 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by senix (Post 9206468)
Subscribing.

Just kind of following alone but thought I would comment on the fuel in the oil situation since i have the 6.4.

I do not, never have had any in my oil. Several do. the regen process and the increased EGR use I think are the primary causes of this fuel in the oil.

I think that the 6.7 is still maybe a little to new for this issue to arise, if it is going too. The only way to know for sure is when OA's start to happen.

Also one other thing to consider is when and how the regens occur vs the 6.4. 6.4 is gonna have a more aggressive schedule because of the lack of DEF.

Just some thoughts.

Agree with your comments... However the nineth injector just seems to be a brilliant idea and could only hope Ford will adopt this design.

1. Fuel dilution via regen impossible including aging and engine wear effects - non issue
2. No excess heat in the cylinders, heads, valves, coolant system, and turbo - non issue

Now the ninth injector may present new problems well have to see, but on paper I really like the design.

FishOnOne 08-11-2010 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by rickatic (Post 9205851)
Troy,

I see you have been following along over there. I received a pm from Rick and all is well. He admits he is still teed off at Ford over the 6.0 trucks he had in his fleet and it distorts his view. I get beat up a little from time to time but they will never get me to quit pointing out the out right lies that are passed as fact.

Regards

Yeah... We have a Fiver and am always interested in towing vehicles and there towing abilities.

BTW... My dads Duramax will out tow my 6.0 psd handsdown. But that will be our little secret.

adamtheman16 08-11-2010 08:46 PM

The problem with the ninth injector is a couple things, but they work well when operating:

- Its a whole system of itself including shut and drain valves and a pressure sensor, controlled via PCM. More wiring, fuel lines, and things to go wrong.

- They are also usually water cooled due to the heat transfer they experience, adding more coolant lines to the system.

- They are probably more prone to leaking off into the exhaust because they aren't as good of a design as a typical diesel injector.

During the Isuzu Commercial Truck classes I attended on their regen systems, there was no issue of oil dilution due to fuel, they use post injection via the injection system. I have not experienced any on them yet, although I have experienced an oil USAGE problem from not changing oil caused from the oil misting in the crankcase area and being sucked in through the ventilation system into the engine. Have also experienced this on the 6.4 Maxxforce of International.

I bet fuel dilution during regen is partially a fix that can be done by programming the ECM to more carefully inject fuel. Maybe not though...

senix 08-11-2010 08:55 PM

Really the regen and fuel dillution can be controlled. By the user. That is not what the EPA or Ford will want to do.

What I proposed and fell on deaf ears was the ability for us to hit a button and do the regen. Do it when we knew we had time for a hwy drive.

Followed up by a mandatory regen if not done in XX miles.

Think about it. Isn't that the same thing with the DEF issue.

Well I submitted it to the new ideas and also an online chat with Chris Brewer. Went no-where.

FishOnOne 08-11-2010 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by senix (Post 9209022)
Really the regen and fuel dillution can be controlled. By the user. That is not what the EPA or Ford will want to do.

What I proposed and fell on deaf ears was the ability for us to hit a button and do the regen. Do it when we knew we had time for a hwy drive.

Followed up by a mandatory regen if not done in XX miles.

Think about it. Isn't that the same thing with the DEF issue.

Well I submitted it to the new ideas and also an online chat with Chris Brewer. Went no-where.

I remember your question to Chris and he didn't want to entertain this idea!

I agree with this feature and it only makes sense. Ford could implement such a feature by checking certain engine perameters, frequency of regens (manual vs auto) and then permit or not permit (depending on the parameters) a manual regen to occur.

kper05 08-11-2010 11:36 PM

Allowing us to choose would be a great feature.
And for those who forgot, then as you said, a mandatory drive or it switches to normal regen. For those who don't care can leave the regen to auto and the truck regen as normal. It could easily be a button like the traction control system (has to be disabled (if you want) after each startup).

Mine always begins to regen at a bad time (the ones I notice).
The last several times I was driving on the highway at 55 headed home and it had pleanty of time to do a regen, yet it waits until I'm a half mile to the subdivision and starts. I don't always have time to go drive another 10-15 miles, like today.
Oh well. I do what I can. I know it does regen other times that I don't see.