Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Excursion - King of SUVs (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum29/)
-   -   What did you do to the X today? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/980894-what-did-you-do-to-the-x-today.html)

hhcobra 11-11-2010 03:11 PM

Flushed the power steering pump with 1.5 quarts of Mobile syn. ATF. Brake pedal came up about 1 inch and pump quit whinning[sp]. How much were the new mats?

CrzHelm 11-11-2010 03:20 PM

just did my ball joints. wasnt too bad at all. glad i did it my self. thanks to those guys for taking the time to post those balljoint write ups everything went smooth.

slenser 11-11-2010 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by hhcobra (Post 9547037)
Flushed the power steering pump with 1.5 quarts of Mobile syn. ATF. Brake pedal came up about 1 inch and pump quit whinning[sp]. How much were the new mats?

You flushed your power steering pump and it affected the brake pedal?

Snowseeker 11-11-2010 06:44 PM

My brakes improved quite a bit after the flush as well.

AlaskanEx 11-11-2010 06:47 PM

just got my lift shackles in, may go install them...debating.

1NiceHarley 11-11-2010 10:28 PM

Greased the front steering locations. Lubed the drivers window. Removed an old phone system that was in the truck.
tomorrow: going to look at the rear door switch
Saturday: going to get the windows tinted.

Skip1970 11-12-2010 12:37 AM

topped off my rear diff fluid.

twisstedex 11-12-2010 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by slenser (Post 9547148)
You flushed your power steering pump and it affected the brake pedal?

if im not mistaking the desle trucks run on hydro boost so yes the ps fluid would efect the brakes....at least thats how my rollbacks are set up and one of them is the international with the 7.3....i hate hydro boost bec if the truck isnt runig or u loose ur belt u have no brakes.very scarry situation to be in trust me been there

Skip1970 11-12-2010 07:11 AM

actually you have 3 or so pushes of the pedal left, that what the small canister is on the hydroboost its a reserve

Snowseeker 11-12-2010 07:57 AM

And it is pretty much the same for gas trucks with vacuum boosters. If the motor quits running you only have a couple pumps till the vacuum is gone.

I don't mind the hydro boost. at least it eliminates the belt driven vacuum pump that used to be on older diesels. I am surprised ford still uses a vacuum pump for heater controls. Just do away with all that and use stepper motors like everyone else.

slenser 11-12-2010 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by twisstedex (Post 9549294)
if im not mistaking the desle trucks run on hydro boost so yes the ps fluid would efect the brakes....at least thats how my rollbacks are set up and one of them is the international with the 7.3....i hate hydro boost bec if the truck isnt runig or u loose ur belt u have no brakes.very scarry situation to be in trust me been there

Originally Posted by b-uno (Post 9549296)
actually you have 3 or so pushes of the pedal left, that what the small canister is on the hydroboost its a reserve

Originally Posted by Snowseeker (Post 9549417)
And it is pretty much the same for gas trucks with vacuum boosters. If the motor quits running you only have a couple pumps till the vacuum is gone.

I don't mind the hydro boost. at least it eliminates the belt driven vacuum pump that used to be on older diesels. I am surprised ford still uses a vacuum pump for heater controls. Just do away with all that and use stepper motors like everyone else.

Huh, I guess you do learn something new everyday!

mark996 11-12-2010 03:14 PM

Well, in the past week I've had a lot of things done..
2 COP's changed
Plugs and boots changed
Oil Changed
Oil Filter, Fuel Filter changed, Air Filter changed
And, to hopefully end the week of things failing...last night the Alternator crapped out, so this morning I ended up changing it out. All is well, things are good in the hood again.

EMC V10 X 11-13-2010 01:28 PM

I replaced the rear brake calipers, rotors and pads, Used Napa calipers (and caliper brackets), Autozone Rotors, and Hawk pads. I also flushed the system. She stops WAY better now. I also fixed the door ajar switch in the back liftgate. It was much easier than expected. Then I took apart and lubed the front autolocking hubs. Next weekend or the weekend after I will attempt the front brakes.

Toreador_Diesel 11-13-2010 04:26 PM

Today my truck mind ****ed me....

For last few months, injector #1 started having issues where it seemed mechanically the injector was done. I ran some Rotella T6 and it seemed to fix it, but thought I would pull the valve covers anyhow.

Well...

I pulled both covers checked the harness and connectors, unplugged the harness while the truck was running to verify, and everything checks out. I put the truck back together take it for a drive and then the same problem happens again...

I planned on changing the injector, but decided against it since it decided to run better and get better mileage. Now I'm kicking myself wishing I would've just changed the inejctor and just let that be that. Electronically it's fine and passes a buzz test when it wanted to, but mechanically it can't decide whether it wants to work or not...it's getting changed for sure next weekend.

59CRL 11-13-2010 06:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I just started doing some mods on mine, added a Billet Grille and a Brush Guard. Im going to add some fog lights to the Brush Guard next.

Attachment 223762