Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   exaust manifold. (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/979477-exaust-manifold.html)

frdf250 08-02-2010 06:00 PM

exaust manifold.

does anyone have any exaust manifolds that arent warped they are trying to get rid of/ sell. im tryin to rid myself of this never ending boost issue

redfire42 08-02-2010 07:32 PM

I wonder if you can have them shaved to take the warp out?

big poppa 08-02-2010 07:46 PM

Jeremy makes a good point Philip, a machine shop could prolly clean those up for ya to spec. Worth a try..

frdf250 08-02-2010 08:30 PM

thought about that. not sure what the down time would be, thats the only issue with that

redfire42 08-04-2010 02:53 PM

If you lived closer I could take them to the shop and let my buddy cut them. When ever or IF I ever do my up pipes I am doing that as well.

cavitation 08-04-2010 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by Philip Berardi (Post 9176404)
does anyone have any exaust manifolds that arent warped they are trying to get rid of/ sell. im tryin to rid myself of this never ending boost issue

Phil - No hijacking intended....My 2000 PSD starting making a ticking noise on the driver side a few weeks ago. I thought it might possibly be an exhaust leak as well. It is there when started cold then gradually goes away completely when motor is fully up to temp.

Is this what your motor is doing as well?
Can you tell me if you see any soot anywhere around your manifold surface to head area. I looked everywhere I can possilbly get my eyes into but can't see any soot around uppipe connections or manifold to head area.

clem1226 08-04-2010 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by Philip Berardi (Post 9177023)
thought about that. not sure what the down time would be, thats the only issue with that

it wouldn't take more than an hour to so the machine work, if it was me I would try to get an appointment with a shop so they do it when you show up....

Or try to find a warped set at the ol wreckin yard and have those flattened out.

megawatt00 08-04-2010 05:24 PM

Clay has the coated ones too. You can get a set from him and then send him your old ones as a core.

frdf250 08-05-2010 11:30 AM

true, good point jim - i think they have to be non warped though.

Cavitation -

It is the exact same symptons i have. no soot little ticks till it warms up. what are your boost readings at WOT

rat49f6 08-05-2010 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Philip Berardi (Post 9187195)

I think he is decking them and coating them so that wouldn't be a worry. Let me see if I still have my spare set laying around. Text me and remind me.

cavitation 08-05-2010 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by Philip Berardi (Post 9187195)

Cavitation -

It is the exact same symptons i have. no soot little ticks till it warms up. what are your boost readings at WOT

Running stock tune (and everything else) my boost is 16-17 WOT at 3,000 RPMs. No change noted in boost level for me, same numbers as before it started a slight tick just a few weeks ago. I have no tick at IDLE when cold. When starting out cold, the tick sound becomes audible and gets louder with increasing throttle. At first I thought it was a loose rocker or lifter issue but it goes away completely when decelerating and letting off on throttle -- all quiet. It started as a slight tick when cold and within a couple weeks got louder when cold but still goes away completely when engine is hot. It is annoying the $#@% out of me! Sometimes it sounds more like a metallic tick rather than an exhaust leak tick. Tough to tell with all the diesel clatter. Absolutely no uppipe or manifold soot anywhere I can see, I have checked a couple times very closely. Because there is no soot evidence I can find to confirm exhaust leak, and it is not valve train related perhaps piston slap and/or wrist pin noise? I suppose the noise going away when hot means any are possibilities. I’d think that if there was an exhaust manifold leak big enough to make a ticking when motor is cold that you would be able to see some black soot somewhere?

I take it you are seeing a definite boost number reduction on your gauge you are attributing to the tick/slight exhaust leak, correct?

frdf250 08-05-2010 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by cavitation (Post 9187350)
Running stock tune (and everything else) my boost is 16-17 WOT at 3,000 RPMs. No change noted in boost level for me, same numbers as before it started a slight tick just a few weeks ago. I have no tick at IDLE when cold. When starting out cold, the tick sound becomes audible and gets louder with increasing throttle. At first I thought it was a loose rocker or lifter issue but it goes away completely when decelerating and letting off on throttle -- all quiet. It started as a slight tick when cold and within a couple weeks got louder when cold but still goes away completely when engine is hot. It is annoying the $#@% out of me! Sometimes it sounds more like a metallic tick rather than an exhaust leak tick. Tough to tell with all the diesel clatter. Absolutely no uppipe or manifold soot anywhere I can see, I have checked a couple times very closely. Because there is no soot evidence I can find to confirm exhaust leak, and it is not valve train related perhaps piston slap and/or wrist pin noise? I suppose the noise going away when hot means any are possibilities. I’d think that if there was an exhaust manifold leak big enough to make a ticking when motor is cold that you would be able to see some black soot somewhere?

I take it you are seeing a definite boost number reduction on your gauge you are attributing to the tick/slight exhaust leak, correct?

yea thats the same for me. none at idle..just during cold accl.

but nope no soot ANYWHERE i double and tripple check ever time i get annoyed at the thing, lik every day. my boost numbers go to 20lbs, weather i am at 1/2 throttle or 3/4 or 100% dosent matter. 20 lbs once it builds up then just stops.

mike(big poppa) though mabey it was a over boost defuilg thing going on so thats next on my list to do. but the manifold noise drives me crazy.

frdf250 08-05-2010 02:14 PM

btw thanks jim, we gotta get something going here soon. mabey this weekend or next?