Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum40/)
-   -   CLUTCH RETURN SPRING (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/978591-clutch-return-spring.html)

woodhd 07-30-2010 02:33 PM

CLUTCH RETURN SPRING

I need some help with finding a clutch return spring. I have a 1965 F100 2wd. Im missing the clutch return spring and no one seems to sell a replacement part for it. Does anyone know of some where they sell the parts or of another that will work with this set up. What I can find is the spring should ba 4.6" long with 35 coils. Any help would be great. Thanks

airharley 07-30-2010 04:45 PM

Where in the linkage is the spring located, on the side of the bellhousing?

daveengelson 07-30-2010 05:43 PM

Don't recall seeing a spring on clutch asssembly on my 65, apparently the spring on the brake pedal assembly in the cab provides sufficient tention. Appears from the link a spring on certain models can run from 'Z' bar to clutch arm, perhaps more knowledgeable member can advise. If too sloppy may want to consider replacing the plastic and felt washers on the 'z' bar, make sure to pack with grease.

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/n...chAssembly.jpg

camperspecial65 07-30-2010 07:37 PM

The spring goes between the clutch throwout fork and the Z bar shaft...its basicly an anti rattle as well as to keep the fork in the end of the adjuster tip.

There are some new ones close to you...the p/n is C7TZ7523F JST Automotive in Lebanon, Tn has 3 of them..their number is 615-443-3086

cs65

NumberDummy 07-31-2010 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by daveengelson (Post 9166673)
Don't recall seeing a spring on clutch asssembly on my 65, apparently the spring on the brake pedal assembly in the cab provides sufficient tention.

Appears from the link a spring on certain models can run from 'Z' bar to clutch arm, perhaps more knowledgeable member can advise. If too sloppy may want to consider replacing the plastic and felt washers on the 'z' bar, make sure to pack with grease.

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/n...chAssembly.jpg

Look at the "generic" pic you posted (the release spring is # 7523) then crawl under and take a look-see.

At the end of the clutch fork is a small hole, one end of the spring fits into that...then attaches to the clutch equalizer bar.

Same-o same-o all 1965/66 F100/250 2WD's. All trucks have one a these, but mount differently on 4WD's, F350's and etc.

Under the dash, mounted on the clutch/brake pedal bracket...then to the clutch pedal is the Clutch Pedal Lever Assist Spring (C5TZ7A600B). This is not...IMO, what the OP is asking for.

daveengelson 07-31-2010 10:15 AM

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/n...os/2091281.gifDid notice item #7523, for past 40 yrs. been looking at the truck from the underside more often than want to admit; the item in question aint there, nor has it ever been. Perhaps I keep too much tension on the clutch arm assembly but it's taunt, not sloppy, and been working fine over these many years. Would think I should have learned by now, particularly with the upgrades and modifications, what applies to my 65 does not necessarily apply to others, I still have to learn to include a disclaimer in the future. http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/n...otos/nono1.gif .

woodhd 08-10-2010 03:35 PM

Thanks for the post. Sorry it took so long to respond. Ive been sick. If the spring is only for tension then what makes the pedal come back up. when I push the clutch pedal in it wont come back up.

camperspecial65 08-10-2010 03:43 PM

does it stay on the floor or only partially return ??? If its always been like this then the clutch may need adjustment...if clutch adjustment is at the end of its range the clutch may be in need of replacement...I know mine is nearing the end of its life as it doesnt start grabbing until the topend of the pedal travel...If this is a new rig to you it may have the wrong clutch adjustment rod in it also.

- cs65

woodhd 08-10-2010 03:53 PM

It just stays on the floor. It is a new truck to me. It was working just fine until the spring they had on there broke and I lost the clutch adjustment rod. I bought a new rod from npd and got a spring for a 57 to 60. I put the new rod in and the spring and know when you push the pedal it stays on the floor.

NumberDummy 08-11-2010 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by woodhd (Post 9204264)
I bought a new rod from npd and got a spring for a 57 to 60. I put the new rod in and the spring, and now when you push the pedal it stays on the floor.

The correct clutch adjustment rod for 1965/66 F100/250 2WD's (& 1967/76 F100/350's) is composed of two separate parts.

The section that attaches to the clutch equalizer bar is 3 29/32" long, has a threaded end.

The extension of the clutch rod butts up against a dimple of the clutch fork (clutch release lever) and is 2 27/32" long, has a pointed end. There are no threads within this extension.

The extension slips over the threaded end of the rod. Two nuts are used to keep it in place once the clutch is adjusted.

When this rod was available from Ford, it came with both parts (DOTZ7521C). The extension only (DOTZ7A504A) could be bought by itself...because when the clutch lost adjustment, it could fall off.

What clutch rod did you purchase from NPD, and did it come with both parts?

woodhd 08-11-2010 11:01 AM

Im not sure of the part number. I will have to verify. In the NPD catalog it is part number F-7521-7A it is listed for a F100-350 65-72 Lower, 4" original Ford tooling. So I need to verify the length of the one I got. Thanks

woodhd 08-11-2010 08:11 PM

thanks for the help. the one they sent me was the wrong one. it was to short. My local napa had one and it works great. Thanks again for the help.

RJP66F100 08-11-2010 10:25 PM

Glad you're getting it figured out.

Daveengleson, the spring hooked to the clutch fork would also make sure the throw-out bearing doesn't spin all the time. I know many modern vehicles are made with the throw-out bearing riding the pressure plate fingers all the time but I would want a spring if it was me.

daveengelson 08-12-2010 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by RJP66F100 (Post 9209490)
Glad you're getting it figured out.

Daveengleson, the spring hooked to the clutch fork would also make sure the throw-out bearing doesn't spin all the time. I know many modern vehicles are made with the throw-out bearing riding the pressure plate fingers all the time but I would want a spring if it was me.

This ole timer does experience an occasional 'senior moment' and can't recall what I did an hour ago moreless 3 yrs ago when I installed a rebuilt engine and replaced the clutch. Got underneath again this a.m. looking for a spring that just aint there, there's no play in the clutch arm and/or adjuster. I may keep too much tention on the adjuster, but as I noted, been this way for past 40yrs. Considered backing off and adding the spring but hesitant, as someone said, 'if it aint broke leave well enough alone'. Anyhow, don't advise anyone to go without said spring, and appreciate the information, perhaps when clutch needs replacing may consider at that time. imagine difficult to determine how many miles to expect out of a clutch, in my case, it's been the family daily driver involving lots of heavy hauling, replaced clutch/bearing 12k's ago and still running strong.

garfieldba 08-13-2022 05:12 PM

Bill,
I'm going to tag along on this thread since your reply is relevant to my question.

I am looking for a clutch pedal return spring--C5TZ-7A600B (information you provided)--for my 65 F100. I've spent hours looking through the recommended sites on Google. I cannot, for the life of me, seem to find a spring to fit my application! I can find a 65 Mustang one that appears to be similar. Do you know if I could use the Mustang one?

Thank you!
Brad