Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 to 2016 Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum30/)
-   -   5.4L 3V spark plug change.....success!! (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/977868-5-4l-3v-spark-plug-change-success.html)

barry1me 07-27-2010 11:11 PM

5.4L 3V spark plug change.....success!!

I have been putting off changing my plugs in my 05 F250 for the last few months as I feared the dreaded job of changing the plugs. As my truck had 117K mils on the original plugs, and the truck was missing and throwing CELs I had enough. Took me 3 hours, read the TSB and followed it pretty close. I didnt use Motorcraft TB cleaner, I used some stuff at Advanced auto. I replaced with MC 507s as well. Best of all.....I didnt break one plug removing!! I think I just got lucky, but I did do about 3 tanks of fuel system cleaner before the plug change. Overall Im pleased as can be, truck runs night and day better. Thanks for all of the tips and info FTE:-X25

redford 07-28-2010 07:16 AM

Good job. :)

Downriver Thunder 07-29-2010 07:57 AM

Glad you had such luck. My work truck has been at the mechanic since Monday, supposed to get it back today. I was having the plugs changed and have the same mileage but he snapped off 4 of the plugs and none of the removal kits would work so he's had one hell of a time getting them out. I'm glad I didn't have to do it. The boss' truck, 08 Lincoln LT has the same motor. He dropped it off at the Lincoln dealer to have it done and he got ripped for over $1000, just for plugs and filters.

snipe609 01-08-2011 06:15 PM

Hi I'm about to try and change the plugs in my 05 f250 any tips? I heard all kinds of story's about broken plugs! thanks

CraigOutdoors 01-08-2011 06:30 PM

Congrats on a job well done. I love it when a plan comes together.

scraprat 01-09-2011 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by snipe609 (Post 9795161)
Hi I'm about to try and change the plugs in my 05 f250 any tips? I heard all kinds of story's about broken plugs! thanks

Clean the plug well good, soak them in some penetrating fluid(JB Blaster or similar) take your time, Torque to proper specs. Then enjoy a cold beverage on a job well done. :-X22

gearloose1 01-09-2011 06:49 AM

Do the 5.4 spark plug problem happen with the 2V engine on the E vans?

Fordfanatic4life 01-09-2011 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by gearloose1 (Post 9796869)
Do the 5.4 spark plug problem happen with the 2V engine on the E vans?

no..

different plug design completly..

make sure you torque the new plugs in thou, that step is VITAL..

ps use Motorcraft OEM plugs aswell..

bangin nails 01-09-2011 05:01 PM

run afew tanks of seafoam then when you go to take them out warm up truck,suck half can of seafoam thru a vacumme line shut off and let sit for 30 min. start up and take her for a beat run to decarbon motor mine came out great knock on wood but i was scared to death listening to those plugs screech on the way out

BIGBEAR6 01-09-2011 06:21 PM

It's a good feeling of acomplishment when you do things yourself,Good job!!!:-X22

defiant-one 02-27-2011 09:09 PM

F-250 5.4L 3v Spark Plug Change

Another success story. The dealer wanted over $400 to change the plugs. I decided this was too much. If all the horror stories are true then either I'm real lucky, or the mechanics are not following the TSB on this.

My basic steps:
1. Cold engine
2. Removed coils
3. Compressed air to clean the holes where the spark plugs are
4. Used Seafoam Deep Creep (TSB calls for Motorcraft Tune-up cleaner)
5. Backed the plugs up 1/8 - 1/4 turn
6. Waited 2+ hours
7. Tightened the plugs back 1/8 turn
8. Removed plugs all came out without issues

My truck does have 165K miles on it, so these were not the original. I've only had the truck since 155K, so while it is possible they were all changed the day before I got the truck I doubt it. They were probably changed near 100K. One interesting thing is that the two back plugs (4,8) were motorcraft, and the 6 front plugs were Autolite. Also, cylinder 1's plug was not even finger tight (so good that I was changing them).

Not for sure if it was the loose plug, or a combination of items, but the change seems to have cured a mis-fire when climbing a hill near 50MPH.

The plugs did screech when being removed, except the one that was loose.

I used the Motorcraft nickel anti-seize as indicated in the TSB and torqued the new plugs (507s), to 25 ft/lbs. Too bad I couldn't find the anti-seize in a container smaller than 8 oz, since you only use a small amount on the ground shield of the motorcraft 507 plugs.

I did have the spark plug socket with extension, total 6", a swivel, and several other extensions.

Your experience may be different, and from what I see many people have had worse luck. I believe the factors that contributed to my success were:
1. Reading all of the post I could find (thank you other members), and following the TSB (thank you Ford)
2. Being very patient, and allowing the penetrating lubricant to do it's job

This post is not a suggestion that everyone change their plugs themselves, just an account of a successful change.

BigPigDaddy 02-28-2011 01:28 AM

I think the horror stories are true, but often repeated to the point of becoming legendary. Most of the people I hear of having changed their plugs have no issues.