Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum40/)
-   -   rare options. (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/977678-rare-options.html)

NumberDummy 07-29-2013 12:17 PM

E81: E is the type/color of the seat upholstery for a Custom Cab w/a bench seat. The only difference between E81 and B81, C81 and D81 is the color.

1964: E: Red Crush Vinyl & Red Check Stripe Woven Plastic. B is Medium Blue, C is Medium Green and D is Light Beige.

graybearded 07-29-2013 02:46 PM

Body Codes

Does the letter before the 81 Body Code tell a Custom Cab over a standard cab, a trim level? Was red crushed vynil & perforated vynil designated by E and were they used together on pickup bench seats in '64? Could the '64 Custom cab be orderd with out the side trim?

Pickupmanx2 07-29-2013 02:53 PM

Holy thread resurrection Batman!!

So how "rare" is the radio delete option? My 66 F100 has this, and also did not have the pass. side mirror, and no cigarette lighter,,, gotta make sure my phone is charged before I hit the road in Shrek!

NumberDummy 07-29-2013 02:57 PM

2 Attachment(s)
:-huh

Originally Posted by graybearded (Post 13384621)
Does the letter before E81 BODY code tell a Custom Cab over a Standard Cab, a trim level?

Was red crush vinyl and perforated :-huh vinyl designated by E and were they used together on pickup bench seats in 1964?

Vinyl isn't perforated on trucks of this vintage. Notice the dividing line on backrest in pic. Above was crush vinyl, below was woven plastic.

Cushion also contains woven plastic...where your posterior is located, the sides/front of the cushion is crush vinyl.

81A is a Standard Cab, 81B is a Custom Cab.

85 is a P100/500 (P Series Parcel Delivery), 87 is an Econoline Pickup, 89 is an Econoline Van. 91 is a C Series Tilt Cab.

NumberDummy 07-29-2013 03:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Pickupmanx2 (Post 13384639)
Holy thread resurrection Batman!!

So how "rare" is the radio delete option? :-huh My 66 F100 has this, and also did not have the pass. side mirror, and no cigarette lighter.

No such thing as a radio delete option. It either has a radio or it doesn't.

If there's no radio, there aren't 3 holes punched out (factory installed) or drilled (dealer installed) in the dash (see dash pic).

Optional at additional cost or available at the parts counter: AM Radio, Economy & Deluxe Heaters, Cigar(ette) Lighter and etc.

ALL outside mirrors were optional and all were dealer installed. If mirror(s) were ordered, were placed inside the cab at final assembly (so were the hubcaps).

Basic F100 was a 'stripper' 114" wheelbase Standard Cab .. Cab & Chassis (no 'back of cab equipment') with a 240, 3-on-the-tree, single speed wipers. EVERYTHING else was optional!

schoo 07-29-2013 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by sgettin (Post 9155058)
on my 63 bought a "throttle" knob/cable to fill up the blank hole to the left of the choke. rarely see anything in that location. don't know if it's correct or not but looks good/better. my truck is a 4x4 and i would like a factory pto winch if i ever find one. doubt they came factory on a 2 wheel drive though. factory spotlight is good.

i do have a factory zsa zsa cup holder for sale if interested. didn't fit the de'core my truck. clashed with my gun rack.

my truck had a throttle (lock/cable)did ford have that option

NumberDummy 07-29-2013 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by schoo (Post 13384918)
my truck had a throttle (lock/cable), :-huh did ford have that option?

What's a throttle lock cable? I've never seen or heard of any such thing.

Look at the parts catalog pic in post #215 for 9775 / This is the optional throttle cable.

374052-S & 374053-S are the chrome plug buttons used to fill the holes in the dash when certain things were not installed. Don't bother to ask, cuz neither is available NOS

And, if y'all want factory spotlights, you can buy 'em BRAND NEW from unityusa.com / Spotlight is the same left/right, the mounting brackets are left/right specific.

They're the same as the originals, cuz FoMoCo bought them from Unity.

schoo 07-29-2013 05:14 PM

thank you
roy

graybearded 07-29-2013 08:31 PM

Bucket Trux

Originally Posted by ms_michelle (Post 9155193)
Probably the rarest option for the 61 to 66 Ford trucks would be the Sports package for the 1964 Models. The Sports package included the bucket seats and console and predated the Ranger package by one year. I have never seen one of these trucks in person and only know of one that has been restored. I have seen a few pictures of them in junk yards. The only thing about the Sports package trucks is they are hard to verify as there was no coding on the VIN plate. The 65 and 66 Rangers had a trim code that indicated bucket seats. Another rare option was a clock, they were mounted on top of the dash. I have never seen one of these either. I am not on hundred percent sure they were really an option, I had read that someplace but have never been able to confirm it.

This picture came from a 64 brochure showing the Sports package. The seats were the same as was found in the 63 Falcon as was the console.

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/h...ochurepics.jpg

This truck was for sale. Pretty rough but well worth saving. Note the seats, either the same as the Econoline or the same as the seats in the 64 Thunderbolt. Possibly an early version of the sports package. I do believe the console to be incorrect for this truck. This is the same console as used in the 65, 66 Rangers and is from a 64, 65 Falcon. There is a possibility that some of the later Sports package trucks had this console, but as mentioned above the seats appear to be from an earlier version. There is not a lot of information available on these trucks and it is hard to tell for sure just what is correct and what is not, I am trying to learn as much as I can about these trucks.

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/h...r/64Ranger.jpg

To my knowledge there are now three of these trux that have been spotted and photographed. I've seen two of them in the rust. If you have knowledge of a truck with this same interior please PM me. Some folks think they were built at Area 51, others think they were dropped off at Roswell! I don't know their history but I'd like to try to sort it out.

Scifi266 07-29-2013 10:26 PM

Lol my truck has a rare option, original 66 highboy Lmao.
Back when she was a 2 wheel drive it had factory power brakes with the single reservoir, no idea how rare that is.

tripleframe 07-29-2013 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by graybearded (Post 13385560)
To my knowledge there are now three of these trux that have been spotted and photographed. I've seen two of them in the rust. If you have knowledge of a truck with this same interior please PM me. Some folks think they were built at Area 51, others think they were dropped off at Roswell! I don't know their history but I'd like to try to sort it out.

Saw this older thread for the first time. Yes, '64 was the first year for bucket seats, console and carpet as a special order option. This package was not called "Ranger" at this point and there was no ranger emblem. It was a "DSO" item,( special order) and the special order numbers would be after the District code on Data Plate. They are very few and far between, but they are out there. History is not always on the side of parts books.

NumberDummy 07-30-2013 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by tripleframe (Post 13386280)
Saw this older thread for the first time. Yes, '64 was the first year for bucket seats, console and carpet as a special order option. This package was not called "Ranger" at this point and there was no ranger emblem. It was a "DSO" item,( special order) and the special order numbers would be after the District code on Data Plate. They are very few and far between, but they are out there.

History is not always on the side of parts books.

What parts catalog has specific DSO (Domestic Special Order) parts (and paint codes) listed?

None, as that's the whole purpose of a 6 digit DSO. The parts are not listed because they are not RPO's, or aren't Ford related parts.

And, if people with 1964's wanted to be creative and make up these trucks and fool most everyone else, they could get Ranger nameplates from 1958/60 Edsel's.

The thing is, I've never seen one of these '64's, and I didn't know that Ford offered a 1965/66 Crew Cab until I spotted one in 1988. Neither has their specific parts listed in the parts catalog as both are DSO's.

8/1988: Whizzing along the Needles Highway on the way to Mt. Rushmore, there is was, parked alongside the highway. I was amazed, stopped, got out and took pics.

oaklandford 07-30-2013 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by tripleframe (Post 13386280)
Saw this older thread for the first time. Yes, '64 was the first year for bucket seats, console and carpet as a special order option. This package was not called "Ranger" at this point and there was no ranger emblem. It was a "DSO" item,( special order) and the special order numbers would be after the District code on Data Plate. They are very few and far between, but they are out there. History is not always on the side of parts books.

This must have been one of those trucks, not only the bucket seats special ordered but also 5 speed clark overdrive. Where is this truck today?http://i1280.photobucket.com/albums/...pscbf0e8e8.jpg

Olweldinrig 07-31-2013 12:23 AM

Great info...My first truck was a 64 merc custom cab!Love those factory buckets!My second a 66 Custom cab Black/white with a red/black interior.Does anyone have an idea how many were made?I've only seen one other with the same color option,a 65.Both from Percival in regina,I thought maybe it was something they dreamt up.
Thanks

6t6merc 07-31-2013 08:17 PM

The Canada-only "deluxe" push-button radio must be relatively rare but maybe doesn't count because it wasn't "optional" for most buyers.
Eric