Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum40/)
-   -   rare options. (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/977678-rare-options.html)

Bill W 07-27-2010 01:28 PM

rare options.

Which options would be rare for the 61-66 F100-F250 trucks?

which would be the rarest?

airharley 07-27-2010 01:32 PM

Zsa Zsa Gabor cup holder comes to mind...

sgettin 07-27-2010 02:27 PM

on my 63 bought a "throttle" knob/cable to fill up the blank hole to the left of the choke. rarely see anything in that location. don't know if it's correct or not but looks good/better. my truck is a 4x4 and i would like a factory pto winch if i ever find one. doubt they came factory on a 2 wheel drive though. factory spotlight is good.

i do have a factory zsa zsa cup holder for sale if interested. didn't fit the de'core my truck. clashed with my gun rack.

ms_michelle 07-27-2010 03:06 PM

Probably the rarest option for the 61 to 66 Ford trucks would be the Sports package for the 1964 Models. The Sports package included the bucket seats and console and predated the Ranger package by one year. I have never seen one of these trucks in person and only know of one that has been restored. I have seen a few pictures of them in junk yards. The only thing about the Sports package trucks is they are hard to verify as there was no coding on the VIN plate. The 65 and 66 Rangers had a trim code that indicated bucket seats. Another rare option was a clock, they were mounted on top of the dash. I have never seen one of these either. I am not on hundred percent sure they were really an option, I had read that someplace but have never been able to confirm it.

This picture came from a 64 brochure showing the Sports package. The seats were the same as was found in the 63 Falcon as was the console.

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/h...ochurepics.jpg

This truck was for sale. Pretty rough but well worth saving. Note the seats, either the same as the Econoline or the same as the seats in the 64 Thunderbolt. Possibly an early version of the sports package. I do believe the console to be incorrect for this truck. This is the same console as used in the 65, 66 Rangers and is from a 64, 65 Falcon. There is a possibility that some of the later Sports package trucks had this console, but as mentioned above the seats appear to be from an earlier version. There is not a lot of information available on these trucks and it is hard to tell for sure just what is correct and what is not, I am trying to learn as much as I can about these trucks.

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/h...r/64Ranger.jpg

Bill W 07-27-2010 04:41 PM

Thank You, Ms_Michelle! very good info.
I did see Doug's 64 ranger truck at the Western Nats last year and in Phoenix at the GTG... it's very nice. but according to ND it's not original.

NumberDummy 07-27-2010 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by ms_michelle (Post 9155193)
Probably the rarest option for the 61 to 66 Ford trucks would be the Sports package for the 1964 Models. The Sports package included the bucket seats and console and predated the Ranger package by one year. I have never seen one of these trucks in person because they do not exist and only know of one that has been restored.
Dunno if it's the same one I've seen, but it's a FAKE, cuz there was no such thing.

The so called Sports Package was announced, but never installed in any truck. There is nothing listed in the parts catalog, any sales or accessory brochures or shop manual inre to it.

There's a fellow who lives in Riverside CA who has a so called 1964 Ranger which he exhibits locally at shows. It always wins, because the judges are clueless, do not know the fellow made it up.

At the 2008 Western Nats, Don (camperspecial65) and I spent an hour looking at it, it's a Custom Cab, Rangoon Red and Wimbledon White. The bucket seats appear to be from a 1950's MGA-GT. It has el cheapo loop pile carpeting, a molded plastic headliner, the crude Ranger badges are made from chrome mylar and inserted into the hood side emblems.

When confronted, the owner ADMITTED he had it made up. So much for the so-called 1964 Ranger.

When Don and I walked away, the owner tried to "save face" by telling the fellow (Karl) who owned the truck next to his that his truck had the "Galaxie option."

:-missingt He lied to the wrong person, because Karl is a Ford historian, has owned dozens of 1963/64 Galaxies, is on the board of the Galaxie Club, and knew there was no such thing...and proceeded to tell him so.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The clock was available, the same one (C3DZ15A000A) was an option on 1963/65 Falcons/Comets and 1965/66 Mustangs and bolted to the top of the dash.

There were also fog lights (C5RZ15200A) and driving lights (C5RZ15200B) available. I've not only seen these, but bought a few on my obsolete parts scrounging trips.

The rarest option...of all is the PICKUP CONVERTIBLE TOP, original MSRP $140.00, illustrated on page 28 of the 1966 accessory brochure (just above the optional dash mounted tach).

Description: A handsome new addition for Ford Styleside Pick-Up Trucks...for all weather cargo protection...converts up or down in minutes, available in black or white.

This so called 'convertible top' was actually a fold away camper shell with porthole isinglas windows. When not in use, it either could be removed and installed in the optional ($9.95) bag, or folded flat.

Just because Ford announces something doesn't mean Ford will actually offer it. I'm still waiting for the Fusion Sports Coupe Ford announced in 2006, I've given up on the Mustang Station Wagon Ford announced for 1966.

ms_michelle 07-27-2010 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by Bill W (Post 9155517)
Thank You, Ms_Michelle! very good info.
I did see Doug's 64 ranger truck at the Western Nats last year and in Phoenix at the GTG... it's very nice. but according to ND it's not original.

Thanks Bill for weighing in on this, all I have ever seen are a couple of relics in junk yards and pictures of the one Doug has. I knew my parts manual didn't show anything on it and there were no trim codes for it listed in the manual. I had seen the brochures with them in it.

Bill W 07-27-2010 05:46 PM

Did ford offer a vinyl top on the trucks?

66crawler 07-27-2010 05:52 PM

So how rare would a 66 f100 4x4 short bed style side be?

Bill W 07-27-2010 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by 66crawler (Post 9155796)
So how rare would a 66 f100 4x4 short bed style side be?

according to ND/Bill's post of a month ago... there could be less than 100 original trucks left, if the 10% survivor rate is correct.

NumberDummy 07-27-2010 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by Bill W (Post 9155767)
Did ford offer a vinyl top on the trucks?

You betcha, first offered in 1967 in black or white WRINKLE PAINT.

The so called vinyl top was a fake, it was sprayed on and looked hideous. One a the SoCal Chapter members has this abomination on his 1969 F100.

It was also offered for Passenger Cars.

Bill W 07-27-2010 06:02 PM

So, it was never an option on a 61-66 f100/250....

8E45E 07-27-2010 06:05 PM

If the 4-door crew-cab was actually an "option"; not a model on its own, then the factory produced 1966 would be it.

NumberDummy 07-27-2010 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by Bill W (Post 9155819)
according to ND/Bill's post of a month ago... there could be less than 100 original trucks left, if the 10% survivor rate is correct.

Didn't that post have to do with 1966 F100 Flareside 4WD's? Only 839 were assembled. And since there is no breakdown for long or short beds, how many exist today?

A total of 4,439 1966 F100 4WD Styleside pickups were assembled.

How many were short or long beds? Dunno, those figures are not available.

How many exist today? Figure that 75-80% were long beds, and the survival rate for 1960's vehicles is 10%...y'all can do the math.

66crawler 07-27-2010 06:11 PM

Thanks bill, kind cool to know I got something here. According to the previous owner its mostly stock besides a lift, the 390, bumpers and wheels/tires.