Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.0L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum107/)
-   -   loud sucking noise under load (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/977653-loud-sucking-noise-under-load.html)

excursionsthebeast 07-27-2010 11:57 AM

loud sucking noise under load

Hey guys, im a newb in the diesel world so bare with me. I have an 05 excursion 6.0 diesel and developed a problem over the weekend. I tow a camper and on the way home i started hearing a fairly loud sucking noise when i was pulling hills. It seams to do it when the turbo realy starts making power. I looked for loose pipes, holes in pipes and anything visible but found nothing. Power seems fine and no other problems seem to arrise from it. While driving it sounds central of the engine compartment so Im guessing it has something to do with the turbo. Thanks for any help.

excursionsthebeast 07-27-2010 08:14 PM

Just drove around a little to listen to the noise again and it seems to start the sound as soon as the turbo starts spooling up. doesnt seem to get any louder under full throttle and still has the same power i believe. only other thing is it seemed to make a little more black smoke but that could be just me.

jetact 07-27-2010 09:16 PM

Have you looked on the back of the tubes for the turbo for cracks? That is my guess. Unless your hearing the fan come on.

excursionsthebeast 07-27-2010 09:21 PM

Problem has been I have been looking when its hot so kinda hard to get close to the pipes on back. Ill try to look close in the morning when its cool. I know what the fan sounds like when it kicks in even though it doesnt happen very often. So the pipe on the back of the turbo is the intake?

jetact 07-27-2010 09:24 PM

[quote=excursionsthebeast;9156642]Problem has been I have been looking when its hot so kinda hard to get close to the pipes on back. Ill try to look close in the morning when its cool. I know what the fan sounds like when it kicks in even though it doesnt happen very often. So the pipe on the back of the turbo is the intake?[/quote

Yes that one can get a crack and the CAC tubes can get them. I had mine replaced becasue of a crack at 37,000 miles. Some people never hear the fan and when they do they are really surprised.

excursionsthebeast 07-27-2010 10:32 PM

possible problem found. figured i would do some more searching while its cool and the brats are in bed. the tube coming off the turbo and going to the cooler is connected with a rubber hose. the hose has a hole in the back of it. am i right in saying it leaves the turbo in the front, goes thru the cooler and returns back to the intake? if so that would produce a loud whooshing noise? the probleem i have is it has banks stuff on it and i dont know if its ford or banks now.

02GrayPowerStroke 07-28-2010 08:30 AM

That sucking is the sound of the truck sucking all of the money out of your pocket. LOL PMS

cheezit 07-28-2010 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by 02GrayPowerStroke (Post 9157889)
That sucking is the sound of the truck sucking all of the money out of your pocket. LOL PMS

someone beat me to it.... bahhhhh

no really more then likly its the tube. if its blue in color its more then likly to be a ford part.