Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum41/)
-   -   Engine 302 vs 351W (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/977595-engine-302-vs-351w.html)

Mr. N 07-27-2010 08:25 AM

Engine 302 vs 351W

I have the opportunty to pick up a rebuilt 302 Longblock or a 351W Longblock for a good price. He wants $100 more for the 351W. Both are still on the pallet, with 0 miles. Which is the better choice? I am building a '53 F-100 that will be a daily driver. I am looking for a truck with some get up and go but still want to be able to afford to drive it every day. Both engines have been rebuilt stock.
The 302 is a '80-86 model
He has 2 351W's one '85-90 and one '94-99

Which is the best choice?
Any major problems with engines from these years?

Thanks for your thoughts.

52 Merc 07-27-2010 09:47 AM

All of those would be good choices for a powerplant for your truck. Obviously the 351's would have more horsepower and torque than the 302, all else being equal. The 302 may give slightly better fuel mileage, but a lot of that function will depend on your driving habits and style. With the large engine bay of the 53 F-100, the 351 would look better in there, being slightly larger, physically. My choice would be the newer 351, with the roller camshaft and valve train.

Jeff and Nicolle 07-27-2010 11:39 AM

Remember that the 351W is a bit wider than the 302. I am using a 95 351W and I have a clearance issue with the column linkage, it won't be a big deal to correct but it will cost me some headache and money. But I still like the 351W just because its got a bigger number!:-X10

jaye 07-27-2010 01:52 PM

I have a 302 in my 55; I have the toyota steering box which is about an inch from the exhaust manifold (66 Mustang), you may be able to off-set it if necessary. I'm sure someone already has that set-up and will be along with pictures.

Mervy49 07-27-2010 03:04 PM

motors

Originally Posted by Mr. N (Post 9153854)
I have the opportunty to pick up a rebuilt 302 Longblock or a 351W Longblock for a good price. He wants $100 more for the 351W. Both are still on the pallet, with 0 miles. Which is the better choice? I am building a '53 F-100 that will be a daily driver. I am looking for a truck with some get up and go but still want to be able to afford to drive it every day. Both engines have been rebuilt stock.
The 302 is a '80-86 model
He has 2 351W's one '85-90 and one '94-99

Which is the best choice?
Any major problems with engines from these years?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Either motor is a good choice, both have lots of aftermarket support. I personally went with a 351w but I have had it for almost forever. I have a 1969 4bbl version with c-6 truck trans. A 302 will pull fairly good with minor mods. Either one will move your truck nicely.

larryb346 07-27-2010 04:12 PM

I am willing to bet everyone will recommend what they have in their truck.
I have a 302 and it's very drivable, easy to get parts for, and get's fairly good gas mileage.
I have a 351 w, on a stand, that was in a 65 ford galaxie that I bought a couple years ago. The owner has spent $5000 at a local speed shop on that engine and it was a real tire burner even in the heavy galaxie. I pulled that engine and installed a 302 before I sold the galaxie.
I went with the stock 302 in my truck for better fuel mileage and drive ability than I would have with that hot a 351. In my past experiences with 351's they would be as good a choice as the 302 if you have the extra engine compartment space and wanted the additional power and was willing to give up some gas mileage.
I am going to install the 351 in a 57 ranchero that is the next in line project after I totally finish my 55 pickup.
The bottom line, to me, is install what you want, get it together, and drive the truck and not spend the rest of your life working in it.
Which ever choice you make, you will end up like the rest of us and feel like you made the right choice for a engine.
Larry

56panelford 07-27-2010 04:29 PM

The year of the 302 is likely carburated while the 351's should be fuel injected which may make a difference for your choice

BlueOvalRage 07-27-2010 09:39 PM

Grab the later model 351W. It'll have decent heads and a roller camshaft. I'm at the point now where I won't run a flat tappet motor anymore. There are too many benefits to a roller cam to ignore. Stay away from the 302. A 302 is a fine engine, but the ones built within those years were low compression wheezers with terrible heads. You'd get much better fuel economy and performance from a pre-'75 or post-'86 302.

Mr. N 07-27-2010 09:54 PM

Thank you all for you opinions. As a newbie still in the planning stages I have a LOT of question. It is really nice to have a place that is willing to take the time to help me out and answer all of the questions I'm sure you have been asked over and over again.

One last question. Well at least on this subject for now.
Is this really the deal I am thinking that it is.
The guy with the engines for sale bought them from a local shop that is closing it's doors. So no warranty on these engines. They have all been rebuilt and all the machine work is done however they are not complete.
The heads have been machined, they have new:
Pistons
rods
rings
valves
lifters
ect... They guy went fast and as a newbie, I missed some of it.

They need:
Intake
valve covers
oil pan
oil pump
distributer
carb or EFI
exhaust
ect... again I'm sure I missed a few things

He wants $950 for the 351W and $850 for the 302.

I am leaning towards the 302 for fuel ecconomy reasons and the fact I have a 302 sitting in the garage that came with the truck when I bought it. It was not installed and I don't know if it runs. It does spin. ;) It is an early to mid '70's engine. Would the parts from this 302 fit on the rebuilt one? Is a 302 a 302 no matter what year it is? As you can see I really know very little when it comes to engines. I am willing to learn but am working with a limited budget and have heard that I will spend more than the $850 and a whole lot of time, to get the 302 I have up and running. Well and reliably anyways. Any thoughs? Is $850 a good deal? Or not really without a warranty and not complete?

Thanks again. I really appreciate your patience as I try to get this all figured out.

52 Merc 07-27-2010 11:36 PM

Here's my 2c, fwiw. The prices he's given you isn't a bad deal, but nothing special or smokin', either. If you have a 302 to use for parts on the long block, then that is probably the least expensive way to go to 'get-er-done.' All of your parts will be a direct bolt on to the new engine. The one thing I would replace, though, is the oil pump. That'll be the best $50 insurance policy you'd ever buy. But your intake, oil pan, valve covers, distributor, brackets, etc., all a direct swap. Not so with the 351.

The warranty isn't a big deal in my mind. They're only good if you need one, and hopefully if it's built right, you won't need one. Do you know the reputation of the shop that actually did the work? Is there a reason why they're going out of business? I might be tempted to offer the guy $500 for the 302, simply because he's a middle man who got a good deal on some close-out parts and is looking to off them for a profit. Not that there's anything wrong with that. But you want a good deal, too. Right? And since he's not backing anything up, he shouldn't command a premium price, either. After all, the worst he can do is say no, and maybe he'll offer you a price somewhere in the middle. Again, my 2c.

And while an early 80's 302 might not be the highest performance model ever made, it'll make a good starter engine for you, and have plenty of poop for what you're going to be doing with your truck. If you want to do some hi-perf mods in the future, it'll be a great platform to use. I say go for it. :-X22

One last thing, make sure you find out exactly what year the 302 is if you go that route. There was a crankshaft balance change for the 1981 model year, and some flywheel and balancer parts will not interchange, before and after the change.

Mervy49 07-31-2010 02:05 PM

302 vs 351w

After reading that you already have a 302 I personally would got for the 302. As mentioned above you already have the parts to finish the new motor. All these extra parts are what you would have to go out and get. It would be a huge saving and the 302 with minimal improvements will perform very nicely:-wink

mervy49

Mervy49 07-31-2010 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. N (Post 9156796)
Thank you all for you opinions. As a newbie still in the planning stages I have a LOT of question. It is really nice to have a place that is willing to take the time to help me out and answer all of the questions I'm sure you have been asked over and over again.

One last question. Well at least on this subject for now.
Is this really the deal I am thinking that it is.
The guy with the engines for sale bought them from a local shop that is closing it's doors. So no warranty on these engines. They have all been rebuilt and all the machine work is done however they are not complete.
The heads have been machined, they have new:
Pistons
rods
rings
valves
lifters
ect... They guy went fast and as a newbie, I missed some of it.

They need:
Intake
valve covers
oil pan
oil pump
distributer
carb or EFI
exhaust
ect... again I'm sure I missed a few things

He wants $950 for the 351W and $850 for the 302.

I am leaning towards the 302 for fuel ecconomy reasons and the fact I have a 302 sitting in the garage that came with the truck when I bought it. It was not installed and I don't know if it runs. It does spin. ;) It is an early to mid '70's engine. Would the parts from this 302 fit on the rebuilt one? Is a 302 a 302 no matter what year it is? As you can see I really know very little when it comes to engines. I am willing to learn but am working with a limited budget and have heard that I will spend more than the $850 and a whole lot of time, to get the 302 I have up and running. Well and reliably anyways. Any thoughs? Is $850 a good deal? Or not really without a warranty and not complete?

Thanks again. I really appreciate your patience as I try to get this all figured out.

I also would give that 302 that you have a spin and check it out. That might be a good motor. I had a 74 Econoline van with a 302 back then. We pulled a 8x6x15 foot band trailer loaded with over a ton of gear and the motor would pull it pretty good. Hills were a bit of a slow down but she would go like sn*t on the flats:-dancing1.

56panelford 07-31-2010 06:25 PM

On this subject what parts are interchangable if any between the 302 and 351. I have a 351 sitting in my garage for a future project but have access to a 302 in a late 80's pickup?

52 Merc 07-31-2010 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by 56panelford (Post 9169578)
On this subject what parts are interchangable if any between the 302 and 351. I have a 351 sitting in my garage for a future project but have access to a 302 in a late 80's pickup?

Not as many as you might think, given they come from the same engine family. The heads will change, but the bolts/holes are different, 1/2" on the 351, 7/16 on the 302, so you need special bolts or washers when using 351 heads on a 302. Valve covers will change, and water pumps. Camshafts will physically fit, but the firing order is different, so you have to watch out for that. But that's about it, really. 351 cranks have larger main journals, oil pans are different because of that, intakes are wider, all your front brackets will be different. Distributors are longer for the taller deck height. Most of the internals are specific. It really is best not to try and mix and match too much.

56panelford 07-31-2010 07:08 PM

So that means the front brackets I took off this 302 was a waste of time( sugar) I thought I scored an up to date serpentine system for the older 351, oh well it was fun yanking wrenchesx( at least it wasn't money out of pocket.

Originally Posted by 52 Merc (Post 9169610)
Not as many as you might think, given they come from the same engine family. The heads will change, but the bolts/holes are different, 1/2" on the 351, 7/16 on the 302, so you need special bolts or washers when using 351 heads on a 302. Valve covers will change, and water pumps. Camshafts will physically fit, but the firing order is different, so you have to watch out for that. But that's about it, really. 351 cranks have larger main journals, oil pans are different because of that, intakes are wider, all your front brackets will be different. Distributors are longer for the taller deck height. Most of the internals are specific. It really is best not to try and mix and match too much.