Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum41/)
-   -   IFS vs Straight Axle (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/975704-ifs-vs-straight-axle.html)

Mr. N 07-20-2010 05:11 PM

IFS vs Straight Axle

Question for all the lucky ones actually driving your trucks. I bought my project (53 f-100) from a guy who had big dreams of putting it on a 70's f-150 frame. He never got it done. Instead he sold it to me. I tossed that frame and bought a bare 55 f-100 frame. Am I better off trying to located a good straight axel or go to IFS? I have a very small budget. Is IFS going to make a big handling difference or am I better off spending my money elsewhere? Am I going to spend about the same $$$ putting power steering and power brakes into the straight axel, as I would IFS? Does the truck really need power steering and power brake? I guess the big question I'm asking is; where is my small budget best spent? I am not afraid of a truck that drives like a truck. I am hoping to still use the truck for some light hauling for projects around the house. I drove a truck with a Volare in it and for me the Volare is out. Absolutely not an option. That thing was like driving around on a sponge. Not for me.

Thanks in advance. Your opinions are alway appreciated.

larryb346 07-20-2010 05:35 PM

You might want to try another volare front ended truck. Mine drives fine.

-Jim G 07-20-2010 07:14 PM

I don't know about IFS transplants from cars, but I do know that my nephew's M-100 with twin I beams is a lot more practical to drive than my '52 M-1.

30 miles seems like a looong distance in my old truck.

jaye 07-20-2010 07:23 PM

I rebuilt my front end and I've been driving my truck for over twenty years; the longest drive was from eastern N.C. to K.Y. I get it up to 85+ on the interstate sometimes fooling around it feels fine to me. King pin replacement makes a huge difference. Complete rebuild with parts from MF will cost approx. $800

hotrodbob51 07-20-2010 08:12 PM

I am rebuilding my front end on my 51 F-1. I have about $230.00, counting a reamer I got off of e-bay for the king pins. This does not count brakes. I am putting disc on it with a power brake booster. I like the straight axle.

Old F1 07-20-2010 08:48 PM

With nothing but respect to those that chose to use the straight axle, and yes we have had this conversation before, ........................but Mr. N ever wonder why new light trucks (including 4 x 4) come with some kind of IFS? Because they ride better! x(

willymakeit 07-20-2010 09:22 PM

The IFS will ride and handle better, when properly set up. It is however hard to beat the simpicity of the straight axle. I prefer the S. axle myself, less moving parts to deal with.

Mervy49 07-20-2010 11:02 PM

I have no problem with a quality IFS system. On the other hand if a person cares to have a look around and see what's underneath the front end of a highway tractor (big truck) you will see a straight axle. These big rigs roll down the highway at pretty good speeds and steer pretty amazingly. The straight axle on our little trucks can be set up to drive really good. It's a matter of choice but not necessary, IFS or straight axle it is up to you, after all, these old trucks aren't and will never be race cars.

okie pete 07-20-2010 11:54 PM

Mervy49 I agree .

himmelberg 07-21-2010 06:40 AM

No stranger to small budgets, and in the "... am hoping to still use the truck for some light hauling for projects around the house...." department, we share some things in common.

With no aspirations of a long drive in the truck, comfort is a relatively small deal. If I'm picking up some lumber or getting rid of yard waste, the truck, as designed, is just fine.

"... am not afraid of a truck that drives like a truck..." department... well, this is probably your answer. If you just want to have fun dinking with the truck, then an ifs could make it stop better and feel just like a 70's model something, costing somewhat more than a stock unit.

I'm not knocking the ifs, a smooth ride, good handling, airconditioning, gas mileage or anything else. I have another newer truck for all that. I just like my old truck because it is... an old truck.

somewhat older than my truck, himmelberg

SunDown 07-21-2010 09:38 AM

well my opinion isnt worth anything here since my truck isnt on the road. But I will say that I went the clip/ifs route personally. That being said I have a painted front axle that is mostly complete, no springs, sitting in my garage. So if you make the choice to go the straight axle direction and need that stuff..... you have a source thats fairly close to you!

Mr. N 07-21-2010 04:41 PM

Thanks everyone for sharing your opinions. I know the subject of IFS or straight axel will never truely be decided one way or the other. It is all a matter of personal preference. It is strange to stop and think but I have had this truck for three years already. I thought I had it all planned out, then I took the past year and a half off (my wife and I had a baby) and didn't really think about the truck. Now that my daughter is nearing 2 I've starting thinking about the truck again. I was originally thinking about putting a Dodge Dakota IFS into the truck using an Industrial Chassis crossmember. I e-mailed them a couple of weeks ago to order mine only to find out they no longer make it. So now I am left rethinking the front suspension. The part I find really funny is that I never really cosidered the idea of using old straight axel as being resonable option. I just automatically jumped to "What IFS set-up should I go with?". Now after really thinking about how I'm going to be using the truck and what I really want from it. The old straight axel is looking like it might be the option that is right for me. Maybe Ford really did know what they were doing back in '53! Again thanks for sharing your opinions.

ALBUQ F-1 07-21-2010 05:11 PM

Just my two cents... look at the body, frame, and suspension as a system, not individual components. Ford made the frame flexible, with anchor points for everything in the center of the truck fore-aft. IFS's won't work properly without a rigid frame to work off. Clipping partly solves that problem, but not entirely.

GreatNorthWoods 07-21-2010 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by larryb346 (Post 9131002)
You might want to try another volare front ended truck. Mine drives fine.

So does mine..so well, in fact, that I'm doing another one with the same suspension. Good luck with it whichever way you go...:-X0A6

thx1138 07-22-2010 07:34 PM

Mr. N,

I bought my '56 1/2 ton back in '83, it had a dropped (stock) axle and a Ford 8". I drove it daily for about 7 years, even drove it coast to coast when I got transfered. It wasn't a sports car (cornering) and improving the roll control is impossible (can't put a sway bar on straight axle). The biggest problem I had was losing teeth in the steering box. It drove like a truck and I adjusted appropriately. Until I bought the Effie, I had been driving MOPAR muscle (Duster, Chargers), a Chevelle SS and an Olds Cutlass.

There are other threads that discuss some of these issues, but it usually comes down to a Pepsi or Coke issue. I can admit that I'm really not a fan of "clip jobs" unless their done right. To me that means pro quality welding and a finished product that doesn't look like a pear stapled to an apple. That said, I do have a friend that has a '54 with a Chevelle clip on it that looks like it came from the factory that way. He has a tilt front-end on it, so it HAD TO look right.

I also don't like the Mustang II (yes I DO know THEY sell bunches) for a daily driver or a work truck (ie: real hauling or towing) because the quite frankly IMHO :-yeahrigh the critical parts were designed for the Pinto. I honestly feel the V8 Mustangs were pushing them to their limits. I think the M2 would be OK for a show / weekend cruiser, but not daily pounding. I would really like to hear from someone who has an M2 AND uses it for a daily driver. I'm opinionated, but I can be swayed with logic and proof.

Jim

ps: Are the same Mr. N who is an offroad guru and has the D60/D44 info online?