Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   No power locks and radio won't turn off. (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/975014-no-power-locks-and-radio-wont-turn-off.html)

NS F250 07-18-2010 12:11 PM

No power locks and radio won't turn off.

Well, like the title says, my power locks don't do anything, the dome light does not come on, and the radio does not turn off when the door is opened. I have had issues with the door switches in the past (haven't we all?), but this is different. The door ajar light is not on. All fuses are okay, so I'm thinking there must be a short somewhere or I have a bad relay. Any ideas? Thanks.

NS F250 07-18-2010 01:39 PM

I am not sure if this could be related, but every once in a while, the power windows and radio won't work. They both come back on their own after a couple of minutes. I did find a short in the fuel pump wire by the drivers side shock tower a couple of years ago so I double checked that today and found another bare wire in that cluster. I fixed it, but still no go, maybe that was my window/ radio problem? I read in another thread about the GEM and VSM, could one of these be the issue?

tdpower 07-18-2010 01:58 PM

Most of issues that I have read about these was caused by a leaky winshield. I'm not sure if an 02 has a gem or vsm. I know the gem is above the fuse box. Try to see if you are getting any water leaking into the cab.

76'SuperCab 07-18-2010 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by NS F250 (Post 9122028)
I read in another thread about the GEM and VSM, could one of these be the issue?

Sure could be. I recently had to replace my VSM to get my door locks working again. But I was not having nearly as many issues as you are. Have you tried the WD40 in the latch trick already? If so and that didn't work, I think I'd lean toward a VSM first and GEM second. The VSM is a lot cheaper than the GEM (plus, I'm not really even sure if 2002 and on models have a GEM, some other posts seem to indicate it was replaced by the VSM).

Calli 07-18-2010 03:05 PM

Check for water/moisture in power window motor? Worked for me

NS F250 07-18-2010 03:07 PM

I checked for evidence of a water leak, but I don't see anything that looks like that is the case. I did spray the latches. In the past when the door switches would stick, the door ajar light would be on, but not this time.

76supercab, I responded to your post in the superduty section, but it looks like you answered my question here. Where is the VSM? Where should I buy it? Part number? Thanks guys.

NS F250 07-18-2010 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by Calli (Post 9122324)
Check for water/moisture in power window motor? Worked for me

What were your symptoms? Looks like I need to pull the door panels. We did have like 5 inches of rain last week. Hmm.

tdpower 07-18-2010 03:26 PM

Check this thread for vsm part number. Looks like it is behind the radio somewhere.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...umber-vsm.html

NS F250 07-18-2010 04:23 PM

Thanks, after reading that thread and the linked one that's in it, it sure sounds like i have a bad VSM.

nissandoc 07-18-2010 04:35 PM

When mine does this all I do is pull fuse #19 and it "resets" it of sorts. I' m sure the VSM is going but I'll wait until I have to buy one before I do.

pminne 07-18-2010 06:15 PM

My 2002 does this same thing, probably more so when it is warm outside. After you start it up no windows and no radio, then after 2-3 minutes everything works fine. Are we sure this a VSM about to go bad? This has been happening for years.

NS F250 07-19-2010 08:03 AM

Got me. With my wiring issues, it's hard to say what is causing what. Check your wiring harness by the drivers side shock mount. Mine ran right over it and rubbed through the wire casing of three wires. One was the fuel pump which I found after I replaced the pump. The others I'm not sure what they do. I do think my power lock, door switch issue is the VSM because I took the #19 fuse out as nissandoc suggested and now my locks work, but the door ajar light is on even though I am pretty sure the switches are okay. After reading every thread I could find, it seems 2002's are the only ones that have this problem. I think this was the first year for the VSM and it was a dud, and they were changed for '03.

nissandoc 07-19-2010 08:20 AM

Does the radio cut off when you open the door now?
And you did put the fuse back in didnt you?

76'SuperCab 07-19-2010 08:53 AM

NS F250, missed your follow-up yesterday but it looks like you found the answers. The module is at the firewall, just above the transmission hump. I bought my replacement from Parts Guy Ed (Y2KFord. . .). Like the thread that tdpower poseted, I noticed it is a new part number from the original. Hopefully they made some changes that will keep this one operational a bit longer. I did the "reset" thing a few times also and that would only work for a day or so for me.

joeyd61 07-19-2010 08:56 AM

my 03 does the same.....no windows,radio..in a few minutes all is well...i have found that i can open the drivers side door,count to 5 and close it and all is well also....