Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.0L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum107/)
-   -   What's good and bad about the 6.0L engine? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/974536-whats-good-and-bad-about-the-6-0l-engine.html)

HT32BSX115 07-16-2010 02:55 PM

What's good and bad about the 6.0L engine?

Howdy people!

I am starting to look for a 6.0L powered Excursion.

I have had a 94 diesel Suburban since I bought it new and I want another one (they don't make them) so, I'm considering getting an Excursion.

I have heard all sorts of "hearsay" things about the 6.0L engine....

What's the real deal? I am going to probably get one with less than 60,000 miles on it. I've found several with under 50,000 miles....

Are there any show stopping things I should look for and are there any mods I should do to it myself (and/or avoid if someone else did them)?

Cheers,

Rick

rickf92592 07-16-2010 04:02 PM

There is already a lot of information on this site. Search is your friend.

texans 07-16-2010 04:14 PM

Hey Rick. Check out bismic post about buying a used 6.0, also read the tech folder there is a lot of good info in there for you to look for. The main things I would look for in a 6.0 is as folows.
1. White resuidue around the degas bottle (could mean bad egr cooler/blown HG.)
2. Be sure there isn't an am intake on it (they are known to cause problems)
3. Use only oem filters (will-fit ones are bad)
4. It would be nice to know the maintance history (ie..get an oassis report)
5. see if head studs have been installed (would be nice if they are, but not nessary)
6. check all fulid levals
7. I wouldn't buy one that has had, or has, any off the self tunner ie..Bully dog, banks, edge. The only two I would be ok with having had is SCT, or Spartan. either one with custom tunes.
That is a start there will be others with more info that I haven't thought about yet. As far as mod you should do yourself. I would install a coolant filter first thing. Also consider getting gauges to include at least ECT, EOT, and fuel pressure. If you go the tuned route I would also get EGT's, Boost (depending on the year), and Trans Temp.

HT32BSX115 07-16-2010 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by rickf92592 (Post 9115920)
There is already a lot of information on this site. Search is your friend.

Thanks y'all!!

I have tried the search......it's pretty hard to search for general non-specific problems. You get a zillion responses.....

I have read suggestions from "avoid the 6.0L altogether" to "avoid certain years"!

There's not much choice if you want a fairly new low mile Excursion! The last ones were made in 05 or 06?

Thanks again!

Rick

FishOnOne 07-16-2010 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by HT32BSX115 (Post 9116204)
Thanks y'all!!

I have tried the search......it's pretty hard to search for general non-specific problems. You get a zillion responses.....

I have read suggestions from "avoid the 6.0L altogether" to "avoid certain years"!

There's not much choice if you want a fairly new low mile Excursion! The last ones were made in 05 or 06?

Thanks again!

Rick

The last year for the Excursion was 05 which used 04 engines!

Good Luck!

HT32BSX115 07-17-2010 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by Troy Buenger (Post 9116646)
The last year for the Excursion was 05 which used 04 engines!

Good Luck!

Is that good or bad?

FishOnOne 07-17-2010 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by HT32BSX115 (Post 9120147)
Is that good or bad?

The 05 engines did recieve some updates, but I would say that is not necessarly a bad thing. If you made up your mind about purchasing an Excursion I would focus on purchasing an 05 model in hopes you may have a little warrenty left (only months at this point) and the option to purchase a Ford ESP plan.

If you kept that Chevy 6.5 engine running this long I would think you wouldn't have a problem with the Excursion. We had a 97 Chevy 6.5 turbo diesel and they had there share of problems.

HT32BSX115 07-17-2010 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by Troy Buenger (Post 9120211)
If you kept that Chevy 6.5 engine running this long I would think you wouldn't have a problem with the Excursion. We had a 97 Chevy 6.5 turbo diesel and they had there share of problems.

Yeah.. The just about ALL 94/95 models needed a replacement injection pump. I of course didn't replace mine until the warranty expired:-banghead.....

I did all the work myself too. The OBD-I 6.5L diesel is pretty easy to work on.......(and luckily, GM reimbursed me for all the parts after the fact!)

I have no doubt I can work on a power Stroke engine too....I just don't want to get a model that might have been in a "lemon" year.....

I am hoping that there really was no particular year with big problems....

FishOnOne 07-17-2010 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by HT32BSX115 (Post 9120313)
Yeah.. The just about ALL 94/95 models needed a replacement injection pump. I of course didn't replace mine until the warranty expired:-banghead.....

I did all the work myself too. The OBD-I 6.5L diesel is pretty easy to work on.......(and luckily, GM reimbursed me for all the parts after the fact!)

I have no doubt I can work on a power Stroke engine too....I just don't want to get a model that might have been in a "lemon" year.....

I am hoping that there really was no particular year with big problems....

Generally speaking every year of the 6.0 life span recieved some level of improvements. The largest number of improvements came on the 04 model year and the smallest qty was with the 07 model year which doesn't apply to the Excursion.

If you do purchase an Excursion with a 6.0 then you will need to camp out here and read all the sticky's as there is alot go good info. If you do run into problems this is the place to be with alot of good help.

If you haven't driven a 6.0 psd your in for a treat. The power of the 6.0 will make that old 6.5 feel like a turd.

Good Luck...

hwybee22 07-17-2010 10:39 PM

I love mine and no major problems..... knock on wood. I always stay tune to FTE and just hang around to learn more about the 6.0. Maintenance is key!!!!

Curt's05 07-18-2010 09:34 AM

This is my first diesel & i love it, tons of towing power, i would recommend the mods on this forum. Only thing is slow to warm up in below 20 degree mn weather, even with radiator cover.

HT32BSX115 07-18-2010 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by Troy Buenger (Post 9120484)

If you haven't driven a 6.0 psd your in for a treat. The power of the 6.0 will make that old 6.5 feel like a turd.

Good Luck...

I have no misconceptions about the power differences in the 6.5LGM IDI TD and any other diesel. They were only rated at about 190 hp and about 400 ft-lbs. When you realize that, it's ok.

I have about 185,000 onmy 6.5 and it's still running strong.

I want a bigger boat and I want to be able to tow it easily. The 6.5L just won't cut it. Also, I want a newer vehicle.

So the Excursion is the best choice IMHO. I don't need a big pickup...... (I have a 55 F-600!! with the 8x12 flatbed on it...I can haul more than most F250/350 pickups out there!!)

bradyracing 07-18-2010 09:39 PM

What is it about the 6.2 and 6.5 that it doesn't want to start when its warmed up?