Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum170/)
-   -   E40D line pressure check (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/971155-e40d-line-pressure-check.html)

drivembig 07-04-2010 04:41 AM

E40D line pressure check

Hi, I'm having a problem with my E40D (big suprise huh). Reverse engages fine, but sometimes (not always) when I shift into D the truck just revs up and will eventually start pulling. If I shift it down into 1 when this is happening it will engage and go.

I know that 1 runs a higher line pressure than D does, so I am assuming that maybe the line pressures are low. I found this on the web and was wondering how I could check my pressures?

At idle,
P.55-65
R.75-99
N.55-65
D.55-65
2.55-65
1.75-99

If I do find line pressures low, does that mean that the pump is bad? I had a new Torque converter and a shift kit installed a few months back. Could this be something caused from that?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm getting ready for a trip pulling my 5'r for the first time and don't want any issues because of the junk E40D. Thanks in advance.

Cuda_jim 07-04-2010 05:17 AM

Everything you need is in the link......online shop manual.
1996 Bronco/F-Series Workshop Manual

drivembig 07-04-2010 07:01 AM

WOW....thanks for the great link there. A lot of usefull info in this one....

DRRXR 07-04-2010 07:32 AM

Probably time for some updates or MSRP connector check.

An Introduction to the E4OD Transmission - Baumann Electronic Controls, LLC

Mark Kovalsky 07-04-2010 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by drivembig (Post 9071429)
If I do find line pressures low, does that mean that the pump is bad?

If line is low in every position, then it probably is the pump. If it is fine in some and low in others you have leakage in the circuits that are pressurized when the pressures are low.

DRRXR 07-04-2010 07:44 AM

https://www.ford-trucks.com/tsb/full...ex.php?p=cauta

Type in E4OD

drivembig 07-04-2010 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky (Post 9071569)
If line is low in every position, then it probably is the pump. If it is fine in some and low in others you have leakage in the circuits that are pressurized when the pressures are low.

Well that kinda makes since to me. Reverse engages very well and pulls very well. When I shift into D I never really feel it engage like it does in Reverse.

When I had the shift kit installed, I wonder if maybe the tranny guy didn't get the valve body tight and sealed properly.

He had a computer that he hooked up when I first took it in and it would read the line pressures, the shift commands and many other things. I is a really nice computer. I think I will take it by there on tuesday and have him hook it back up and drive it down the road and see what we find.

This didn't start happening till he worked on it. If the pressures were low, shouldn't it be setting a DTC?

Thanks for all the responses and the help. This forum is got to be the best on the web.

DRRXR 07-04-2010 08:46 AM

You would think so. So they did a shift kit too. Okay did they replace the cooler too?

Mark Kovalsky 07-04-2010 12:23 PM

The PCM doesn't know what line pressure is. It only knows what it tells the pressure control solenoid to set line pressure at. It could be commanding 200 PSI and you may only get 50 PSI and the PCM won't know that.

If you take that chart and compare line pressure in the computer it will be right every single time, whether or not line pressure is correct or not.

drivembig 07-05-2010 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by DRRXR (Post 9071751)
You would think so. So they did a shift kit too. Okay did they replace the cooler too?

Which cooler do you mean? Are you talking about the cooler in front of the radiator? If so, its the same one that was on there when I got the truck.

Thanks.

DRRXR 07-05-2010 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by drivembig (Post 9074237)
Which cooler do you mean? Are you talking about the cooler in front of the radiator? If so, its the same one that was on there when I got the truck.

Thanks.

The transmission cooler near the radiator. It should have been replaced when the other work was done. If it was a internal trans cooler (in radiator) tubes should have been pulled and a external high effeciency cooler tied to the tubes. Then bull plug the ones at the radiator.

Fines can get trap in there and recirculate back to the pump and valves. There is no way to clean them right.

drivembig 07-05-2010 05:05 PM

Yea, I already have the external cooler. Thanks for the help

Cratos 05-25-2011 04:27 PM

what should the line pressure in the cooler lines be ? i see 30 with out any cooler hooked up just loop the lines with a t fitting for a pressure gauge.

Mark Kovalsky 05-25-2011 08:57 PM

The pressure in the cooler lines should be around 15-30 PSI.

Line pressure is a name for a specific pressure in the transmission. Line pressure isn't found in the cooler lines.

Corey Wampler 03-06-2016 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by drivembig (Post 9071429)
Hi, I'm having a problem with my E40D (big suprise huh). Reverse engages fine, but sometimes (not always) when I shift into D the truck just revs up and will eventually start pulling. If I shift it down into 1 when this is happening it will engage and go.

I know that 1 runs a higher line pressure than D does, so I am assuming that maybe the line pressures are low. I found this on the web and was wondering how I could check my pressures?

At idle,
P.55-65
R.75-99
N.55-65
D.55-65
2.55-65
1.75-99

If I do find line pressures low, does that mean that the pump is bad? I had a new Torque converter and a shift kit installed a few months back. Could this be something caused from that?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm getting ready for a trip pulling my 5'r for the first time and don't want any issues because of the junk E40D. Thanks in advance.

I am having the exact same problem with my 96 F-250 7.3 E4OD. Did you ever get your problem resolved? If so how did you resolve it?