Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum32/)
-   -   93 4.0 firing order and six pack coil? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/970282-93-4-0-firing-order-and-six-pack-coil.html)

460/5 06-30-2010 06:27 PM

93 4.0 firing order and six pack coil?

ok, i am perplexed. im changin the plugs and wires on my explorer. i looked at the passenger side, and the position of the wires on the coil are in a direct relation to the cylinders. the one at the right front goes to the #2, the right middle goes to #4, and the the right rear goes to #6. then i looked at the drivers side, and the left rear went to #1. ok, i suppose this could make sense as well. so i checked the left front to see if it went to #5, but it goes to #3 and the left middle goes to #5. WTF?? :confused: is this correct? or did some dill-wad screw up my plug wirin?

(left=drivers side, right=pass.)

some ASAP help would be appreciated as this is my daily driver, id like to get this done tonight, and i have no alternative transportation at the moment. thanks.

m-chan68 06-30-2010 06:48 PM

The firing order on your V6 (and ALL Ford V6s) is 1-4-2-5-3-6. On a coilpack setup such as yours, the way to figure it out, is this. The mating cylinders always fire in pairs. This means when 1 is firing at the top of compression, 5 is firing at the top of exhaust and vice versa. That said, 1 and 5 share the same tower. 4 and 3 share the same tower. And lastly 2 and 6 share the same tower. If you pair the cylinders up on the coilpack as I've listed above, you should have no problems figuring it out. By the way, the cylinders are number 1-2-3 on the passenger side with 1 at the front of the engine. And 4-5-6 are on the driver side with 4 at the front of the engine. But I'm sure you already knew that.

460/5 06-30-2010 06:58 PM

wait... i was taught that the 1, 3 and 5 were the left bank, with one at the front, and 2, 4, and 6 were the right bank with 2 at the front?? (perhaps wrong or just different??)

ok, and what goes where on the coil? i looked and there is not markin to find for what goes where, or in what order...

shorod 06-30-2010 08:58 PM

It depends what vehicle you were taught on. If I recall correctly, Chryslers and I think GMs use the even/odd cylinder numbering scheme like you mention. Ford uses sequential numbering as mentioned by m-chan68 above.

-Rod

460/5 06-30-2010 10:11 PM

ok. i was taught that by a previous employer who is a chebby guy. i didnt realize that that scheme was not used by ford. so i learned somethin new. also just put the wires on the same way the old ones came off, and she runs butter smooth now. :)

next question: how do i lower my idle speed?? i dont like the 1k idle, and would much prefer it camp around 600...

m-chan68 06-30-2010 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by 460/5 (Post 9061272)
next question: how do i lower my idle speed?? i dont like the 1k idle, and would much prefer it camp around 600...

Engine idle speed is not adjustable on this vehicle. If you're idling higher than normal, it sounds like you could have a vacuum leak of some sort. To pinpoint it, use a small propane tank and disperse small amounts of it to various potential leak points in the engine compartment and repair as necessary.

460/5 06-30-2010 10:20 PM

im pretty sure all my vacuum lines are good and sealed. when i take one off it revs up a little. maybe the computer is just retarded??

m-chan68 06-30-2010 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by 460/5 (Post 9061312)
im pretty sure all my vacuum lines are good and sealed. when i take one off it revs up a little. maybe the computer is just retarded??

How's your PCV valve/hose?

460/5 06-30-2010 10:27 PM

i think it could stand to be checked... how do i go about checkin the valve its self?