Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum41/)
-   -   need advice..54 ford 4X4 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/968722-need-advice-54-ford-4x4.html)

kenjh 06-25-2010 12:21 AM

need advice..54 ford 4X4

I have just found a 54 ford pickup one ton ,same owner last 50 years ,it's ..UM ..rough but it's all there still has the holman moody (?)sticker saying it is a conversion to all wheel drive ,the motor was running till last year.flathead V-8.needs work on the front end ,, king pins or something..had to walk away before falling for the need for one more ford...should I ?..for 1500 I think it is worth it..it's gonna need all 4 fenders and running boards...and the radio is missing..but it is 12 volt.

52 Merc 06-25-2010 12:49 AM

As cool as it would be to have a Holman Moody edition effie, they're a little more well-known for high performance vehicles, not 4x4's. lol. I'm sure what you're looking at is a Marmon-Herrington conversion. They were the all-wheel drive folks. ;-) Being a 54 with a flathead, that's Canada-only so it's going to be a pretty rare bird with the M-H conversion. It would be a neat project and a very special rig when done. Definitely worth saving. Whether or not you should buy it depends on how bad you want it. :) The price seems reasonable enough.

tardster 06-25-2010 01:27 AM

I have to agree with 52 Merc...:-wink

55 f350 06-25-2010 02:58 AM

just a few words of advice ....... BUY IT BEFORE SOMEONE ELSE DOES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:-X22

tardster 06-25-2010 03:00 AM

Originally Posted by 55 f350 (Post 9040416)
just a few words of advice ....... BUY IT BEFORE SOMEONE ELSE DOES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:-X22

LMAO......

kenjh 06-25-2010 06:14 AM

guy's your supposed to help me not add one more !!I shudda known better..well if I get my brother to move his suzukie's outa the barn and my kid to work on the 55 ford meteor. I might have the room to get it under cover...this thing has 17 inch 6 bolt wheels..how hard are they to replace?..and how hard is it to find parts for the front end..and yes it is M-H my dislexiyah kicking in..I still have to finnish the65 T-bird ,the 68'Ranchero ..change motors in the 87 F350...and mow the damm lawn again!!

tardster 06-25-2010 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by kenjh (Post 9040591)
guy's your supposed to help me not add one more !!I shudda known better..well if I get my brother to move his suzukie's outa the barn and my kid to work on the 55 ford meteor. I might have the room to get it under cover...this thing has 17 inch 6 bolt wheels..how hard are they to replace?..and how hard is it to find parts for the front end..and yes it is M-H my dislexiyah kicking in..I still have to finnish the65 T-bird ,the 68'Ranchero ..change motors in the 87 F350...and mow the damm lawn again!!

For 1500 bucks, its worth it even if it sits out for a year or so. Ya might even be able to resell it for a profit, who knows....

55 f350 06-25-2010 07:48 AM

don't mow the lawn yet !!!!!!!!!!! I'VE DONE THIS ...... go get the 55 park it in the tall stuff and then mow and call the other half out and say ... GEE HONEY LOOK WHAT I FOUND WHEN I MOWED .......................................:-X10

Tomget 06-25-2010 08:27 AM

That is a very cool sounding truck alright. A flathead 4x4! I probably couldn't resist it.

Goodluck

kenjh 06-25-2010 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by 55 f350 (Post 9040774)
don't mow the lawn yet !!!!!!!!!!! I'VE DONE THIS ...... go get the 55 park it in the tall stuff and then mow and call the other half out and say ... GEE HONEY LOOK WHAT I FOUND WHEN I MOWED .......................................:-X10

but I wanted a kenworth..it's a 68 with....no no back to the 54'

petey shoes 06-25-2010 09:31 AM

being a flattie 4x4 fan, you peaked my interest. got any pics? sounds like there is potential here.

Stephen67 06-25-2010 11:07 AM

Yeah I'm curious on pictures too, haven't seen a one ton 4x4 before, sounds very slick.

Basically any time anyone mentions anything with M-H it gets the same response of buying it ASAP.

If I remember right radios where just an option, not standard. Being 12v is a nice plus.

Personally I don't see any way you can go wrong. Even if you find you don't have the space for it or desire to build it, I can't imagine not getting your money back on ebay or something when it's rare like it is.

55 f350 06-25-2010 01:21 PM

you'll have to wait till a big a-- snowfall for the kenworth as i don't think your wife or neighbors are gonna let the grass get that tall before they start on ya ....... and yeah put some pics of the 4x4 up if you can ..... i do know of a late 50's autocar , and a 62 b model mack myself just can't bring myself to part with the cash they want right now .....................:-wink:-dancing1

truckdog62563 06-25-2010 10:15 PM

A Canadian Marmon-Herrington! That's the first I've heard of. And also the first of the Mid-Year variety that is an F-350. I've heard of, and know that several of our members have, F-250 M-Hs. I also know of a couple of F-350 Fabco 4x4s, but this is the first M-H. Do the badges say where the M-H conversion was done? As explained to me by Chuck Mantiglia, M-H's Canadian associated company (IIRC) was called Canadian Traction Limited. Do the badges show that name, or the standard M-H reference to its Indianapolis home office?

Now, to your specific questions. The rarity of the truck makes it worth having, and at that price it's a "no brainer" to my value system. M-H specific parts availabilty will be an issue, though. The Mid-Year 53-56s, as you've said, used the 6 lug x 7.25" bolt circle Budd style wheels. If your wheels are the widowmaker style, they should be replaced. If they are the locking ring style, they can still be serviced if not badly rusted/damaged. If you have to find replacements, they can be found but you'll be looking at IHCs, Dodges, or Studebakers as well as Fords as donors.

I'll assume that unique to an F-350 M-H would be a Timken B-150 front axle to match its similar back axle. I don't know whether the front drums on that are unique to it, as they are on my trucks, but you might check with Chuck to see whether they are. The other thing you'll want to do is closely inspect the truck to see if any of the M-H pieces are missing or badly damaged. Transfer case linkage will be hard to find. Also, at least on my era trucks, fractured front axles and frames are commonly found.

All that said, it's worth having. Even if you have to resell it if you can't justify the investment. Stu

kenjh 06-26-2010 08:01 AM

damm ..now you have me trying to figger out money...well..I can give up coffee for a while ..the truck seems to be compleat just verry rough the owner says something in the front has gone all I can see missing is the front driveshaft,,all the linkage is there the frame looks good . I will go give him a down payment today ..an' try to show you later, thanks guy's ..

55 f350 06-26-2010 08:58 AM

well if stu the mh brain say's that sucker is that rare well ................ just remember ......... LET THE GRASS GET REAL TALL .. SHE'LL NEVER KNOW IT WASN'T THERE BEFORE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:-missingt:-missingt:-missingt:-missingt:-missingt:-missingt:-missingt:-missingt:-missingt

petey shoes 06-26-2010 09:35 AM

if front driveshaft is not connected, more than likely there is a broken axle. possible transfer case damage, but not likely. jack up nose, check it out. either way--- still worth it

truckdog62563 06-26-2010 09:54 AM

I agree that the front drive shaft is disconnected for a reason. Not a happy reason. I have that on one of my trucks too because one of the front half shafts is bad. Fortunately I was able to come up with a spare front axle. Stu

kenjh 06-26-2010 10:01 PM

ok what the heck is a timkin 150?? the bad news is yes the front axel or hub is broke ? he dosn't know witch ,the breaks don't ..the front turn signels are missing ...moved 3 wasp nests out of the cab it was last painted in 1990 with house paint...it needs running boards .tried to move it and the right front wont..but I sat and listned to peter the owner and after we talked and he was sure I wasn't gonna wreck it .. he lowered the price to $1000 so now it's half paid for ...it has badges on both fenders marmon harrington all wheel drive and the insructions or on the dash plate for useing it ,the tyres were new in 90 do you think I can get away with them for a year or two ??..crap now I have ...5 trucks a ranchero 2 65 t birds...why is my blood still red an' not ford blue??an' where can I get decent fenders for MY long box ford .??dearborn doesn't seem to have any nor does perogie...

52 Merc 06-26-2010 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by kenjh (Post 9040591)
guy's your supposed to help me not add one more !!I shudda known better..well...

Hey, what are friends for!!!!! :-banghead :-innocent :-X24 :-X03

Congrats on the new ride! :-X22

kenjh 06-26-2010 10:20 PM

do you think it would be easier to stick a dana 60 up front till I can fix the old front end? it looks realy wierd under there with that goofey drag link and that big ball end swivel now where ccan I find a clymer manuel for this damm thing???gotta battery chargeing ..tomorrow fresh oil and gas an' wake her up...I hope

truckdog62563 06-27-2010 04:41 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Swapping in some different front axle makes sense until you can sort out what's wrong with the original. Finding one that will connect to the original drag link so it'll steer, I'd think, is the issue. Just don't let the original get separated from the truck if you end up having to resell it.

The front axle and rear axles should be the same as far as the differential is concerned. It's the half shafts and CV joints that are unique on the front. A Ford service manual would give repair instuctions for the differential. Finding an original MH service manual for that model will take a miracle. One of our members, though, was able to get an online copy of his service manual right from MH. I've got his contact info and a link to the manual that I'll look up, then come back and edit when I find it. You might want to contact MH to see if they have an on-line version of yours. Edit - Here's the thread where Rab discussed it, but I can't get the PDF link to work. Stu

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...ce-manual.html

Another option is to swap in an axle from a F-250 MH. Our member 1952henry has a spare that he rescued from a yard. I know he's had another member interested in it, so don't know for sure that he still has it. I'll email him and ask him to check in here. He's in Oregon so would be reasonably close to BC for shipping. Below is a pic of his spare axle.

This is a Timken A150 as used in the 3/4 ton F-250MHs. It has a longer pinion housing than the B150 that was used in the F-350s. I'll go to a different computer and see if I can find the B150 picture and edit to include it. Edit - I added a second pic of an A-150 to show the longer pinion housing, and then the red/blue B-150. Stu

kenjh 06-27-2010 08:19 AM

WOW !!!I have never seen this kind of truck before.. never thought I would find parts ,,,I have been wondering what I got myself into,... again..the parts guys have gone to this site to get info!!! ...I was starting to think this was gonna be more then I handle ...with your help this old truck will not be crushed and become a toyota or hun-die ....you have no idea how much you are helping on so many levels...she may never be a show truck and will drive me nut's but I guess that why I love Ford's thank's guy's....

petey shoes 06-28-2010 07:16 AM

i bought 3 trucks just to have spare parts. now working on buying 4th. problem here is, i just can't seem to break stuff. (not complaining, really). i got it if i need it! i would offer up some parts, but, my stuff is much heavier than you need. good luck---get some pics!!

truckdog62563 06-28-2010 07:37 AM

Having spares is a good thing. There were more of the big trucks made which makes spares somewhat more available on them than on the smaller models. Not a lot more available, but somewhat. Problem we have with the in-between sized F-2/3/250/350 models is prior owners who used them like they were big trucks when there weren't really that much stronger than the half tons.

I emailed Owen (1952henry) about his spare axle, and also emailed him to see if he had info to help another M-H guy that Bob Jones connected with me. I've not heard from him so suspect he might be on vacation or otherwise away. Stu

kenjh 06-28-2010 09:34 AM

thanks for keeping me in gear..going to try and get her lit after work today ,I found a couple of manuels at the car swap on sunday so now i have an idea what to look for on breaking her down,,so far it all looks good under there no cracks no drool of oil or chunks of solid grease thing move and undo ..and found the M-H website..so things are progressing. getting rid of my 87 crew cab diesel so i have a place for this old girl..

truckdog62563 06-29-2010 10:30 AM

I just heard back from Owen and learned that he still has the axle, but hasn't resolved whether the first interested person wants it. So stay tuned. If you find that you have to replace the axle, you might also contact Chuck Mantiglia at Chuck's Trucks in CT to see if he has a line on any spares. Stu

http://www.chuckstrucksllc.com/startframe.htm

kenjh 06-29-2010 09:06 PM

does anyone know a Don Chew in calarado? the marman pepole said he is the one to go to for info and parts...heck this is getting fun again!!!

truckdog62563 06-29-2010 09:43 PM

Yes, I've spoken with him on the phone and enchanged letters once. I'm sure he's been into M-Hs longer than Chuck simply because of their age difference. He lives in Brighton, CO. When I was in contact with him he wasn't a computer user, so you had to communicate by phone or mail.

Chuck told me that he and Don got together a number of years ago to share info on production numbers and other details of the old M-H Ford trucks since most of the company's old records were lost in a factory fire many years ago. If you are a member of the American Truck Historical Society (ATHS), Don is a board member-at-large. As you'd expect, he has a very extensive M-H collection. Here's a web site with pics of his collection. If you want to contact him, I can post his address. Stu

Colorado Road Trip Truck Pictures - Day 9

55 f350 06-30-2010 03:59 AM

don't forget ken that the fun is tempered with aggravation upon occasion !!!!!!! dain stu nice pics . i like the 42 and the 56 myself ........... oh and that old mack integral sleeper cab needs to find it's way to my drive . i'm sure i could find a crap late model ford f350 or 450 to plant that on !!!!!!!!!!!!! know where theres a 93 4 door f350 with a diesel now for 900 as the tranny is broken { manual } ........ hmmmmmmmmm ..............:-X20 so have you put some pics up yet ken ??????

truckdog62563 06-30-2010 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by 55 f350 (Post 9057724)
. i like the 42 and the 56 myself ......

You have very good taste, Kevin. The '42 is a one-of-one. It's the prototype for the 50-56 Rangers, but done on a sedan delivery chassis. The '56 looks in the pic to be a half ton judging by the front rims. I believe I've read that the '37 sitting next to it is one of two known to have survived. Stu

kenjh 06-30-2010 10:09 PM

apperantly tomorrow is a holiday ??? canada day .so I will get some pictures and do some checking to find out what is wrong with the breaks..and try and grease everything and change the oil and filter ..I wonder what can go in the front end to stop it ..if it was just the breaks locked up..or something broke..better to find out before gathering parts..what did your buddy what for the front end assambly??I will give youall an update tomorrow ..

truckdog62563 06-30-2010 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by kenjh (Post 9061255)
..what did your buddy what for the front end assambly??

Don't know. I'd suggest doing him a private message to ask. Owen's on here as 1952henry. But remember I said I've referred another guy to him about it too, and Owen said that is still hanging.

Another thing to think of is gear ratio. Assuming your axle is a Timken A150, and Owen's spare is a B150, you'll still need to match the gear ratio of your truck's rear end. Finding replacement gear sets might be possible, but might be expensive unless you can find a used donor rear. I agree you are best to pull the axle and see what's wrong before starting to spend money.

Edit - Other way around. The 3/4 ton is the A-150. Tonner is the B-150. Stu

stewdozer 06-30-2010 11:33 PM

We definitely need to see some pics. Nothing more fun than discussing another M-H truck coming out of the weeds.

Dave

1953 F-250 M-H 4x4

kenjh 07-01-2010 04:10 PM

well I have the pix's but i can't find the damm cord to feed it into the computer..

kenjh 07-01-2010 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by 55 f350 (Post 9040416)

if my wife throttles me in my sleep it's your fault..:-X17

kenjh 07-01-2010 06:22 PM

file:///C:/Users/Ken/Pictures/54%204X4%20Ford/S4021506.JPG well that didn't work..

truckdog62563 07-01-2010 06:50 PM

Ken - If it's not working, if you want to email pics to me I'll post them. My email is stu_sandymcmillan at sbcglobal dot net. Stu

truckdog62563 07-01-2010 07:59 PM

Here it is. I'm posting a sample of the pics, Ken. To save bandwidth. If there are others you'd like to see posted please say. It's sure straight, but has rust like most do. I've not seen the MH badges mounted in that location, but you see something new everyday I guess. She's a beauty. Stu

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/l...atterson11.jpg
http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/l...Patterson3.jpg
http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/l...nPatterson.jpg
http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/l...Patterson7.jpg
http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/l...atterson10.jpg
http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/l...Patterson6.jpg
http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/l...Patterson9.jpg

kenjh 07-01-2010 08:07 PM

ALL RIGHT Thank you stu .so where do we start ..paint ,tires,battery..I have soaked all the wheels with penatrating oil ,and now the adventure begins..