Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Oil & Lubrication (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum70/)
-   -   FRAM RACING HP-1 Oil Filter (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/968197-fram-racing-hp-1-oil-filter.html)

Ed 06-23-2010 08:16 AM

FRAM RACING HP-1 Oil Filter

Now I realize what the overall opinion is on Fram Extra guard oil filters are (PH8A) on this forum. I'm one of them...

However, last Saturday morning, around 8:30 AM, I was up, taking my dog for a morning walk in the neighborhood. At a garage sale, people still putting out their "merchandise", I saw on a table four (4) FRAM HP-1 Racing Oil Filters.

Opened the box, pulled them out, sure enough they were the HP-1 oil filter. Price: $1.00 each.

So, since they fit my 2000 Ford Explorer Sport (4.0 V6) I bought all four.

Surely, the Fram Racing Oil Filter is a better build filter than the mundane PH8A? Looks like it will flow better, with larger holes, and the outer canister is much stronger. (I realize the majority of everyone here has seen this HP-1 oil filter up close).

So, any concerns? $1.00 each!!? Lady told me her son had bought it for his 5.0 Mustang almost a year ago, and never used them. I don't think she had any idea this HP-1 oil filter was different than a regualr PH8A, I didn't volunteer any additional information.

Just installed the first HP-1 oil filter yesterday, on the Explorer, when I changed my oil, adding five quarts of Mobil Clean 5000 5W30.

I will say, it was a bit odd seeing the orange colored filter, instead of my normal white oil filter (Motorcraft FL1-A is what I normally use)/...

Big Picture: Fram HP-1 High-Performance Oil Filter

jschira 06-23-2010 08:42 AM

A funny post.

So Fram's are no good. Don't use them. Trash. Etc., etc., etc. Yada, yada, yada.

But put them on sale, make them cheap enough, and they are good enough to put on Air Force One.

Funny, funny, funny.

Ed 07-11-2010 08:44 AM

JSCHIRA, I think you missed the point, maybe not. Simply, the price yes, but the Fram Racing OIL Filter is definately a better piece that a common
PH8A filter. Much stronger canister, flows better because it's designed to be used in engines with high compression / high revs ect.
Plus, it's not me who has trashed the Fram brand. It's all over the internet with their lack of quality construction that has caused some owners grief due to engine failure / engine damage. That's a fact.

dkf 07-11-2010 05:15 PM

It hasn't been found that the Fl-1A type filters have to have a silicone anti-brainback valve like the 820S. Think you can post a pic or two of the filter?

krewat 07-30-2010 01:38 PM

I used one of those on a 360 I had in my highboy. It actually LOWERED my idle oil pressure when hot. I do not know why, if it was a better filter media (harder to push through), or whatnot.

The thing I would have a problem with buying ANY oil filter from a yard sale is - how long have they been sitting in someone's garage? Is the anti-drainback even any good anymore? O-ring still plyable? That sort of stuff ;)