Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   Power stearing at idle (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/967871-power-stearing-at-idle.html)

Opossum 06-22-2010 01:56 AM

Power stearing at idle

Trying to help my brother out, he's not the type to come here, doesn't even own a computer.

What he does have is a '02 with a 7.3 and power stearing that is weak at idle. I have driven quite a few of these trucks and this seams to be a rather common problem in 7.3 powered trucks so I'm hoping you guys here have a solution that I can help him with.

I did a search and was surprised that I didn't find any threads on this, at least a few of you must have the same problem, has anyone found a good solution?

Edit, woops maybe it's cause I spelled steering wrong, searching again now.

derek0525 06-22-2010 02:22 AM

I have heard those redhead gear boxes solve the problem I bought a PSC high volum pump for mine wich I also heard solves the problem but my steering problem ended up being a froze up ball joint try flushing the pump to start with.

Opossum 06-22-2010 02:48 AM

OK well from what I've read it sounds like the consensous on this forum is to start with a flush as discribed here Ford Super Duty Power Steering Flush | Superdutypsd.com

I hear also hear alot about using Mobil 1 synthetic ATF but personally am a fan of Redline products, anyone got anything to add about what fluid to use I think we'll do the flush and see how it goes.

tsmall07 06-22-2010 06:02 AM

I've got the same problem and I'm glad you brought it up. I'll have to try the flush as well. Redline products are good, but they aren't always best for every situation and every system. I run redline MTL and diff fluid in my '85 BMW, but I run standard ATF in the power steering.

Opossum 06-22-2010 06:20 AM

We will certianly be using synthetic ATF, it's just which one. There just isn't a lot of info out there on ATF performance in PS systems.

bdrummonds 06-22-2010 09:23 AM

Just remember that the PS pump also powers the Hydroboost cylinder, and if you have your foot on the brake at idle, it will be harder to turn the steering wheel. Especially if he has oversize tires.

cleatus12r 06-22-2010 11:27 AM

I know, I know!!!

Pick me, pick me!!!

cangim 06-22-2010 11:49 AM

I am interested in finding out what the best fluid would be in this case as I still need to get this done. Simple thought, would it be easier to remove the serpentine belt and use an air ratchet to turn the power steering pulley?

Opossum 06-22-2010 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by cangim (Post 9029942)
Simple thought, would it be easier to remove the serpentine belt and use an air ratchet to turn the power steering pulley?

I would think not, remember fluid only flows when the brakes are pushed or steering wheel turned, not just the pump.

cangim 06-22-2010 11:58 AM

Good point, I did not think about that.

HH60FE 06-22-2010 12:46 PM

I used syn blend, only because I'm cheap. Flushed 1 gallon through and I think its good to go. Firmer (i think) brakes and quited down the pump.

CampSpringsJohn 06-22-2010 12:51 PM

A system flush and using synthetic tranny fluid will help. I make it a habit of sucking as much of the fluid out of the PS pump every time I do an oil change and topping it back off with syn fluid.

Hey Opossum, your name is still brought up in the club!!! Nice to hear from you.

zx250 06-22-2010 02:03 PM

A good flush will do wonders in most cases, It helped mine and I probably will be doing in again soon. Too easy and inexpensive not to do every few years anyway..

Opossum 06-22-2010 07:20 PM

As important as this sounds, as synsitive to fluid problems as they sound, and from doing some reasearch on fluids it looks like it might be worth it to use Amsoil. I'm thinking I'll start the flush with at least 2 quarts of cheep stuff to push it all the way through then keep going till I get 4 quarts of Amsoil in.

Edit, it also comes to mind that we should apply the brakes a few times with the engine off in order to make sure we change the fluid in the accumulator.

It will probably be a while till I can do this for him, he lives about an hour away now. Next time I see him I'll be prepared to do it, and will post back after to let you all know how it went.

Originally Posted by CampSpringsJohn (Post 9030121)
Hey Opossum, your name is still brought up in the club!!! Nice to hear from you.

Wow, I quess I made myself a little infamous :eek: maybe I'll have to find a way back in.

worm5932 06-22-2010 07:29 PM

i did a flush with some cheap stuff a couple months ago and it helped a little but not a lot. plan on doing synthetic soon, well see!