Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum28/)
-   -   Mint 1995 350 understeer? loose feeling steering (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/967528-mint-1995-350-understeer-loose-feeling-steering.html)

mint350 06-20-2010 10:47 PM

Mint 1995 350 understeer? loose feeling steering

So i just bought a mint 95 350 7.5. Im noticing that the steering seems loose. Like im always turning the wheel to keep it straight. Also feels like there might be some tire wobble. Anyway, would appreciate some help diagnosing the problem.

ymeski56 06-20-2010 11:00 PM

I'm going to say Tie rod bushings.

mint350 06-20-2010 11:18 PM

Yeah, thats what im thinking! Thanks for the reply.

skucera 06-21-2010 12:18 AM

Take it to an alignment shop and have them examine it. Most shops will do a free estimate in hopes of getting the job. It might be worn tie rod ends, a loose Pitman arm on the steering box, suspension bushings, or even low tire pressure. If the problem is free play in the steering wheel, the steering box may need to be adjusted. Recirculating ball steering boxes are designed to be adjusted to compensate for wear. The procedure is in the manual, but don't overdue it or you can cause binding and accelerated wear in the steering box.

Scott

DAT2109 06-21-2010 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by skucera (Post 9024749)
Take it to an alignment shop and have them examine it. Most shops will do a free estimate in hopes of getting the job. It might be worn tie rod ends, a loose Pitman arm on the steering box, suspension bushings, or even low tire pressure. If the problem is free play in the steering wheel, the steering box may need to be adjusted. Recirculating ball steering boxes are designed to be adjusted to compensate for wear. The procedure is in the manual, but don't overdue it or you can cause binding and accelerated wear in the steering box.

Scott

Make sure to at least tip the technician $20 if you do this. They make so little doing a full alignment job, if you arn't going to have them do the work it really puts a dent in their paycheck to only do free inspections. Plus if you come back afterwards to get the new parts lined up they will remember you and treat you better.

Opossum 06-21-2010 08:32 AM

All of what they said plus I have seen the slip joint in the stearing shaft get loose on these also the splined coupler that connects to the box, take a look.

ymeski56 06-21-2010 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by DAT2109 (Post 9025257)
Make sure to at least tip the technician $20 if you do this. They make so little doing a full alignment job, if you arn't going to have them do the work it really puts a dent in their paycheck to only do free inspections. Plus if you come back afterwards to get the new parts lined up they will remember you and treat you better.

Never hurts to grease the skids if the guy is knowledgeable & honest. The problem with the front end (especially Ford's twin I beam) is, it's hard to find a shop that won't try to do a "dog & pony" show, w/ a big price tag at the end!

If you stand in front of your truck, have someone slowly change directions w/ the steering wheel. If you notice a lag time between when one or the other tire changes direction, tie rod bushings. They will also start raising hell w/ the rest of your components.

This doesn't rule out other components, but from my experience with 8-10 high milage Ford trucks, concerning tie rod bushings, it's not a question of if, just when. Personally, I think it's the most under engineered part of the truck.

skucera 06-21-2010 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by DAT2109 (Post 9025257)

I couldn't have put this any better myself.

Scott

thomer 06-22-2010 05:24 AM

I have a 96 f-250 and experienced the same problems you are speaking of! My truck ended up having 2 of 3 axle u-joints going bad!

mint350 06-23-2010 06:50 PM

steering

Ok now im starting to feel some knocking when i back out of a drive way and turn the wheel. Its on the drivers side. I can feel it thru the floor board.

Thanks

ymeski56 06-23-2010 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by mint350 (Post 9035276)
Ok now im starting to feel some knocking when i back out of a drive way and turn the wheel. Its on the drivers side. I can feel it thru the floor board.

Thanks

That would be your girlfriend! Her skirt's caught in the door and she would like you to stop for a moment! :-missingt

mint350 06-23-2010 08:02 PM

clanking while steering

Well done sir!Oo.

jplinville 06-23-2010 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by mint350 (Post 9035276)

Thanks

U joints in the axle half shafts...they need replaced.