Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum117/)
-   -   having to pump the gas pedal when starting??? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/966779-having-to-pump-the-gas-pedal-when-starting.html)

kurt5153 06-18-2010 12:46 AM

having to pump the gas pedal when starting???

Hey guys I got a 88 7.3L n when I start it I have to pump the gas pedal constantly till it starts or else it wont start n just kill my battery. Help please!!

johnboggs21 06-18-2010 12:49 AM

from what they tell me, pumping the go pedal on these things does nothing..........that being said, I usually hold mine down about half way when starting. seems to start faster that way..........

Festus Hagen 06-18-2010 01:07 AM

I turn the key on, hit the pedal one time to set the high idle, wait for WTS and start, no problems even in low negative weather, holding the pedal half way down only shortens the life of the motor.

I would say you have air intrusion and pumping the pedal makes you feel good.

Tomorrow morning (or after it's been setting 12 hours or so), Pull the fuel filter and see if it's completely full of fuel, if not install a Injector Installation Kit.

-Enjoy
fh : )_~

94 smokin stroker 06-18-2010 01:43 AM

ip maybe does it want to cut out after it gets going at all or idle rough if not then im with festus on it

kurt5153 07-15-2010 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by 94 smokin stroker (Post 9015198)
ip maybe does it want to cut out after it gets going at all or idle rough if not then im with festus on it

not really rough more less high idle

johnboggs21 07-15-2010 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by Festus Hagen (Post 9015138)
I turn the key on, hit the pedal one time to set the high idle, wait for WTS and start, no problems even in low negative weather, holding the pedal half way down only shortens the life of the motor.

I would say you have air intrusion and pumping the pedal makes you feel good.

Tomorrow morning (or after it's been setting 12 hours or so), Pull the fuel filter and see if it's completely full of fuel, if not install a Injector Installation Kit.

-Enjoy

It says in the manual to hold it down halfway for cold starting, and to the floor when its really cold. I forget the exact temps.

FORDF250HDXLT 07-15-2010 06:22 PM

these rigs are not carbureted,so pumping the skinny isn't going to send any more fuel.you can pump the peddle if you want for the exercise lol.
you need to check for air intrusion,and test the glow plug system,along with first inspecting the starting system;cables/terminals/batteries/stater etc.
did you check the top threads yet Kurt about testing GP's etc? having a full set of 8 working Beru's is a must.

kurt5153 07-15-2010 08:10 PM

No I haven't checked the glow plugs yet don't know how (first diesel). Want to replace them but can't find the motorcraft ones cheaper the 40$ per glow plug.

kenpobuck 07-15-2010 08:39 PM

I know that I only paid $11 apice for mine at th elocal Kentucky motors parts store. I use the 7.3 gp's. Make sure that the guy you are talking to knows it is an IDI and not a stroke.

kenpobuck 07-15-2010 08:40 PM

Also there is a thread at he top of this forum page that has the procedure for checking the glow plugs. Give it a read and it should get you through it wth no problems. If you run into a snag just ask and some one will help ge tyou thruogh it.

George D. 07-15-2010 09:12 PM

How much faster does it start with pumping the pedal? Pushing the pedal down will give more fule during cranking if the IP is pumping fule and not air and also will help get air out faster. The reson the manual tells you to hold it half way cold all the way below 0 is to advance the timming. Also how does it start when the engine is warm? Festus how do you figure holding the pedal down hurts the engine?

kurt5153 07-15-2010 09:17 PM

kenpobuck
ill check that out n im pretty sure he knows its an idi. old ford dealer coworker.

George D.
in my truck it says above 32 half throttle below 32 full throttle. id say about 15-20sec differince

kenpobuck 07-15-2010 09:20 PM

Ah ok, you checked througth the stealership lol. I would do a search online for them. Make sure they are motorcraft/beru though and not the others. Most guys on here will tell you it pays in the long run to use them.

George D. 07-15-2010 09:20 PM

ok does it still take to long when you pump it?

Festus Hagen 07-15-2010 09:28 PM

Diesel Filters Online - ZD9 Glow Plugs $9.99

*** Glow Plug Test. ***
Test light test of the glow plugs:
  1. Unplug the Glow Plugs.
  2. Attach one end of a test light to 12v+ battery.
  3. Touch the other end to the terminal on the end of the Glow Plug (where you unplugged the harness)
    Does it light up?
    • Yes, Chances are it's good.
    • No, Replace with Motorcraft/Beru ZD1A for 83-86, ZD9 for 87-94.5.
    This test is susceptible to miss diagnoses and should only be used for a quick reference.
    To do a positive test use a volt/ohm meter and test the ohms between the terminal and base. Should be .5 to 1 ohm resistance.

-Enjoy