Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   Tail light wiring harness question (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/966713-tail-light-wiring-harness-question.html)

Billyclub 06-17-2010 08:57 PM

Tail light wiring harness question

I just installed my new '10 bed on my truck as my original bed was a pile of rust. The new bed came with a new taillight harness which is plug and play. The only problem i'm having is that the right turn signal on the steering column turns on the left taillight and vice versa for the Left . The harness just plugs in without any problems and i'm assuming the factory harness is wired correctly. Any thoughts on what might be wrong?
Glenn

JockD 06-18-2010 12:50 AM

The harness connectors contain pins which are held into the plug by tabs in teh plug that are locked by a plastic wedge. It sounds like Ford changed the locations of the wires in the plug, while keeping the same body and pins.

Question #1: Do the wire colors of the box harness match (not by location, but by color) the truck harness? If so, it is pretty simple to remove the pins from the box plug and move them to match the truck harness. To change the pins, use a pair of small needle-nose pliers to pull out the red wedge in the center of the plug. Then use a small screwdriver or pick to spring the small lock tab molded in the plug away from the pin you want to remove. You can then pull the pin out the back side of the plug. Make a diagram of the wire colors and plug locations before you start. Don't mess with the truck side plug.

Question #2: If you don't have the same colors, do you have access to anything that will tell you which wire controls which function on the box side?

Question #3: If #1 and #2 are NO, do you have the electrical skills and a test light or meter to determine which wire does what in the two harnesses.

2001 color codes for the plug at the back or the frame:
OG/LB - right turn
LG/OR - left turn
BK/PK - reversing lamps
BN - tail/license
BK - ground
LG - trailer stop lights

Post back with your progress. 8D

Billyclub 06-18-2010 07:03 AM

Thanks for the reply JockD. I will look today. Unfortunately the truck is going in for a autobody makeover to get rid of some 10 years of small dents and cab door rust. I need to strip the truck of mud flaps and and body trim before noontime. I'll keep you posted but I'm hoping it's just a matter of swapping the pin locations.
Do you know if Ford uses the same wire colors as 10 years ago to denote lead function?
Thanks, Glenn

JockD 06-18-2010 01:46 PM

I don't know what the later color codes are. Ford keeps the same color codes for years, then changes for not apparent reason. Black seems to always be ground, and since you got some functions to work, even though they did not match, it seems likely that the ground wire is going to the proper pin.

To find which wire does what in a harness, hook up the ground to -12V (like a battery - even a 9V transistor radio battery) and touch each wire to the +12V terminal. If a bulb lights up, note which one (and brightness, if it is tail/stop), then use that list and the pinout I gave above to match the circuits.

Ponyboychris 06-18-2010 02:03 PM

What year did the bed come off of? In 2002, the truck went through some electrical changes mainly the fuse box is entirely under the dash, fuse #'s are different and perhaps some body wiring stuff may have changed too like the pin locations for the bed. Use a test light and investigate when you get your truck out of the body shop. Probably a simple pin swap.

Billyclub 06-18-2010 03:20 PM

After using a 12v tester and found out what wire did what i did the pin swap. Very easy took about 10 minutes.
Non of the wires matched up, no biggie.
Thanks for all the help

jbeck1972 03-23-2017 09:12 AM

Jock D, i recently put a CM flat bed on my 02 f350. It has LED lights on it and the brake lights won't work when a turn signal is on. Only the opposite side brake lights come on, any suggestions?