Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.7L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum205/)
-   -   PTO Install (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/965131-pto-install.html)

spinge 06-12-2010 11:07 AM

PTO Install

Hey All,

Has anybody put a PTO on one of these trucks yet? I am getting ready to do one for one of my customers, and I just wanted to know if there was anything to watch out for. (Besides the fact that it is a bit tricky to get to all of the bolts because of where it is - I have done others and know that already)

Thanks for any pointers!

EpicCowlick 06-12-2010 02:12 PM

I'm interested as well. I ordered with the PTO prep option just in case. My eventual application will be for a generator.

spinge 06-12-2010 02:22 PM

I have the PTO installed, I am working with the wiring now. I will say this, the PTO is LOUD with the truck at idle, louder then the engine. As soon as you rev it, the noise goes away. And that is with the PTO disengaged. The only thing I can think is that the PTO has a break-in period, but I will be calling Chelsea on Monday morning to verify. The serial number on the PTO is 0082, so I am in the first 100 to do this. I hate being the tester for this sort of stuff. So far it has not been too bad, a little tight (an extra wrist and elbow would have helped). The next step is the wiring, which should be just all sorts of fun, I counted 22 blunt cuts under the dash. 4 for upfitter, 4 for pass-through, and I will have to dig for the rest.

I will keep everybody posted.

mikebob 06-13-2010 01:40 PM

Does anyboby know of winch applications for the PTO specifically a complete kit?

Thanks...Mike

snakechaser 07-06-2010 09:12 PM

Getting ready to take delivery on our new F-450 cab/chassis. We ordered it with the PTO option thinking it would be easier to mount the hydraulic pump that operates our hydrabed. Checked with Triple C today and they said the PTO driven pump will run about $4,000.00, the standard belt driven pump runs about $1,200.00 installed. This would be their first PTO installed pump and they think somethings screwy. They met with the rep from Muncie and he said with the adaptor, pump and clutch that would be the price. Anybody had any experience in this area ?

spinge 07-07-2010 04:30 AM

If I were you, I would make sure the $1200 is right. IIRC, the PTO I installed was around $1600-$1800 for JUST THE PTO, that is no pump. But, the install is fairly easy and straightforward. Doing a belt driven pump on the 2011 is not going to be an easy task, when I was working on the one I had here, you could not SEE the belt from above, and it was tight from below. I can only imagine that it will be time consuming (means lots of $ in labor) to install a belt pump, even if it is cheaper for the parts.

shelbymustang 07-07-2010 09:05 AM

maybe this will help about a Muncie pto products

YouTube - 2011 Ford Super Duty PTO from Muncie

snakechaser 07-07-2010 10:31 AM

Thanx for all the help, I get the concept I just don't get the over three times the price for the PTO setup.

shelbymustang 07-07-2010 12:17 PM

well if you can put it on your self and shop on line for better then the retain price i would think you get it all done for 2500 but you would have to put it on your self that for sure

suggested retail price Muncie Standard Model
FR66–F1209. . . .. . .. . .. . .. . .. . .. . .. . .. . .. . .. . .. . .. . .. . .. . .. . .. . .. . .. . .. . .. . .$2,349.92

snakechaser 07-07-2010 12:44 PM

But that does not include the price of the pump, that is my point. Upfitter installed belt driven pump is $1200.00. Muncie FR66 + PFA-714 = $4,000.00 installed. The upfitter has offered to do the PTO install at cost because it would be their first but it would still be over $3,000.00. I have ran these beds for over 20 yrs. and I just don't see the benefit for the added cost.

boats313 07-07-2010 03:36 PM

Does it have to be a Muncie PTO and pump? I see that Parker makes one as well and there may be other companies too. The best fix to a high price is competition.

snakechaser 07-12-2010 12:19 PM

I have finally located a competitively priced PTO drive and pump but my dealer may have dropped the ball. He forgot to order the PTO option. The option is only $280 but no one seems to know what you get for $280. I know all the transmissions have PTO so what comes with the option.

EpicCowlick 07-12-2010 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by snakechaser (Post 9099794)
I have finally located a competitively priced PTO drive and pump but my dealer may have dropped the ball. He forgot to order the PTO option. The option is only $280 but no one seems to know what you get for $280. I know all the transmissions have PTO so what comes with the option.

Snake - this might be painful. The PTO option gives you a transmission with an access plate on it. If you didn't order the option, the transmission will not have the access plate and it will be impossible to install a PTO. I was told it will require a swap of the transmission case which is major $$$. I hope I'm wrong, but it is really easy to check. Look under the truck on the driver side of the trans. If the PTO prep is done, there is a black plate with 6 bolts covering the PTO mounting location. If the plate is not there, you're looking at a major problem.

EpicCowlick 07-12-2010 12:36 PM

I just took a quick picture of the PTO prep option on my truck. As I understand it, this is what you get when you order PTO. If the dealer didn't include it on the order, your trans case will not have this black plate on it. Perhaps someone else can confirm?

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t...7-12113046.jpg

snakechaser 07-12-2010 12:38 PM

I just talked to a fleet dealer in Kansas City and he basically told me the same thing. I really don't have a problem with this screw up, my dealer does. He's fixin to have a very expensive cab/chassis truck on inventory. It's a small dealership and I am the only one who orders this type of truck from him. Oh well.
Thanx for the help.