Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Illinois Chapter (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum122/)
-   -   help near bloomington il (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/964706-help-near-bloomington-il.html)

F-127 06-10-2010 03:55 PM

help near bloomington il

This sounds crazy, helping sister move to normal and we think an injector tip cracked on the interstate just north of town on i39 give a call if you could be of help, likely getting a tow to get off the interstate give a call at 218 2348179 thanks thomas

F-127 06-10-2010 05:14 PM

Update, got off the interstate sitting at browns towing for the night, they gave us the option to decide sometime tomorrow, should have the tools to swap an injector as long as nothing else happened, just no place to do it, stuck between rock and hard place right now, posting from my blackberry currently

F-127 06-10-2010 06:19 PM

Alright, finally have some time to describe a little bit more of what happened. Driving a 2000 F350 with 7.3L. Moved my older sister from West Central MN to Bloomington, IL. Brother-in-law will be attending grad school and ISU. We were leaving today, just got onto the intestate for a short while. Accelerated to let others merge onto the interstate at an on-ramp just north of town when a loud knock with developed. Looked in the mirrors and saw clouds of white smoke, burning rubber first came to my mind but figured out that it was coming from the exhaust. Pulled off the road and checked the turbo and it spun very nice, not much else to check so we had it towed to get off the interstate. After some thinking we figured cracked injector nozzle. Doing some reading online I have found others who have encountered a similar situation with that, others have just had a bad injector o-rings. Might just be having the dealer do it for the lack of a 'shop' or space to work on it at. Doesn't feel right, its been a loong time since we've had someone else work on something of ours. Anyways, there's the whole story now that I'm on a computer back at my sister's place.

F-127 06-12-2010 09:05 PM

Well Illinoisians, I am back to MN. Ended up having the wrecker take the pickup to the Ford dealer the next morning. Despite our problems, we only took off about 24 hours later than when we were first "leaving." Arrived home this morning at 4AM. I was able to talk to the service tech before he began work on the pickup. It was good to know he drives a 7.3 himself and came up with the same problem as I did, injector nozzle cracked, and that's what it turned out to be. Although we didn't save by doing DIY, I think it was worth it just to have the extra time to send with my sister and her family before leaving. We were able to get back on the road for 905 dollars, and that included the tow. Overall I was impressed with the service recieved from both the wrecker and dealer. Those places were Brown's Wrecker Service and Dennison Ford. If I'm in the area again I would not be scared if I had to use either place's services again. Ahh, when we got the pickup after the work was completed the sound of a 7.3l idle never sounded so sweet to my ears. It was great after the knock and smoke of the previous day. Until we meet again IL!