Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1997 - 2003 F150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum25/)
-   -   2001 F-150 5.4 How do I recharge the A/C?? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/963497-2001-f-150-5-4-how-do-i-recharge-the-a-c.html)

lucky57 06-06-2010 01:58 PM

2001 F-150 5.4 How do I recharge the A/C??

I need to check for any A/C leaks, and get more recharge to make A/C colder.
How can this be done?
Can this be done at home?
What type of refrigerate do I need
Kings Ranch -102,000 miles
Thanks,

Ron

Arizona

SteevenH 06-06-2010 02:26 PM

After reading your post I would suggest taking it
to a professional.

lucky57 06-06-2010 07:57 PM

If I had the time that may be a good thing to do.
I want to fix this on my time after work.

Thanks,
But I would prefer to do this myself.............someone may be able to help.

trsimmons25 06-06-2010 09:03 PM

A/C is not really a diy type of job. It requires special tools and training. The system requires complete evacuation and a recharge and oil for the system. I would visit your local trusted shop.

cal74 06-06-2010 09:07 PM

Just get a refill kit and a can R134 from a parts dealer, don't get the can with the hose already on it as they're junk.

I'm sure if you went to a decent auto store they could easily point you in the right direction, as the valve to hook the hose up to look a lot like an oversized valve stem on a tire.

Might look for a youtube video as well, really not a hard deal at all

steve(ill) 06-06-2010 09:09 PM

there are two valves (look like tire nipples) on the system. I think the high pressure is behind the pasenger head light, and the low side is at the passenger rear corner of the engine compartment, tucked under the dryer cylinder.--- when you turn on the AC, do you see the clutch on the compressor kick on ever? if it does, then you have "some" pressure inside. it needs 25-30 psi to keep it running... what you need to do is go to Auto Zone or Wal Mart and buy a can or two of R134 with the blue hose and a gauge on the hose ( about 0-60 psi). you connect the R134 with the hose and gauge to the suction side schrader valve (tire tube type fitting). It will not fit the high pressure side only the low. the gauge should read what is inside the AC system. Should be about 100, might be much less. Start the truck and turn on the compressor. IT should cycle on and off. Pull the R134 bottle handle and start putting gas into the system. Dump the wholc can inside then see if the compressor is running 90% of the time, and the gauge on the blue hose should be about 40 psi...... thats how it works if your only a little low and need a boost. If you got bigger problems, you need more direction. The schrader valves are a quick disconnect... there will be one on the end of the blue hose that goes with the R134 can.. see how it works.. There is probably at video on ytube or something to get a generic idea ???

steve(ill) 06-06-2010 09:13 PM

YouTube - How to re-gas the air conditioning in your vehicle

lucky57 06-06-2010 09:33 PM

Just an update..............started the engine wih AC on max.....compressor cycles on & off after start.
The only thing I had before is the AC worked , but when I came to a red light I could hear the AC making some noise. soon as I took off everything was good..................any ideas......

SteevenH 06-06-2010 10:31 PM

If your engine idle is below 600rpm the compressor will cycle on and off anyway. If it's above that and it still cycles on and off quickly then you are low on r134a . You can add refrigerant and if it's not leaking badly you might
get by for a while but eventually you will need to
find the leak . Have the system evacuated and the
coolant replaced.

lucky57 06-06-2010 10:47 PM

Steve,

I just tested the AC. in idle the compressor is on & off. raise the engine speed...........it runs, but then turns off & on.
What should I do?
The AC has never been worked on..........I now have 102,000 miles

projectSHO89 06-07-2010 07:44 AM

Please visit the HVAC section and read the FAQs before doing anything else. You lack a basic understanding of the system and the FAQs will help.

SteevenH 06-07-2010 08:55 AM

You can add refrigerant and depending on how bad the leak is you may get by for a while. To
do it correctly the system needs to be evacuated by a professional. He will find the leak , repair and
replace the parts that need to be replaced and recharge the system.
As I said though. You can get a kit at the autoparts store and add refrigerant to the specified
amount and the compressor will cycle correctly. How long it last depends on how bad the leak is.
Good Luck.

KhanTyranitar 06-07-2010 09:41 AM

As stated earlier, you need to let a pro handle this. It is obvious that you are not experienced with AC service. While it is nice that there are forums like this to help you out, the problem is you are getting mixed OPINIONS and not enough fact.

Just a couple things I will outline for you. One, the DIY kits sold at the parts store are no good. They work for some people under some conditions, but they can also make the problem worse. I run into systems that someone overcharged with these kits all the time. These kits also will not tell you if a problem is present, nor do they make sure you have the right amount of lubricant in your system.

A professional service uses a special gauge and a machine that can pull the old refrigerant out, measure how much there was, and then put new refrigerant back in with the correct amount of oil. They can also add a dye so that any leaks can be found more easily. You really do get a good value letting the pros do it.

If you wanted to do it yourself, as a minimum you need a gauge set ($65-$100), a couple thermometers (2x $7 = $14), an electric vacuum pump ($120), and an air conditioning service manual.

SteevenH 06-07-2010 10:05 AM

It's hard to tell sometimes but I'm not the one with
the a/c problem.
To do it correctly he should definately let a pro do
the work but it sounds like he's only interested in a bandade at this particular time.
You're right, most people end up shooting air into
the system along with the refrigerant and they most alway's either put to much or not enought oil
into the system. In the end , it's his truck and his
decision to try.

lucky57 06-11-2010 10:25 PM

AC has been repaired -here's how it went

I understand that many people want us weekend warriors to see a profesional.
I agree all the way................I am a construction general contractor.
I work hard to earn a living. My work has been hit very hard by this recesion.
I went to fix my truck and it took 30 ounces of R134 to fill my AC.
It really is easy to recharge. Ac hook up on low side with Ac on Max took only 5 minutes.
Works great.
If the AC should go down...........OK ...pay later
I have 105-110 temperature every day here in Phoenix.
Anyway..........working is getting better, and my truck is nie and cool..................I hope everyone is doing well.
Thanks to everyone. have a great day.....kepp on truckon