Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum41/)
-   -   Mark VIII suspension in 56 F100 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/963007-mark-viii-suspension-in-56-f100.html)

Reginald56 06-04-2010 05:13 PM

Mark VIII suspension in 56 F100

I was wondering if anyone on here has ever used a Lincoln Mark VIII front and rear suspension on a 53-56 F100 truck? I have found plenty of other swaps done but have yet to find this one. Any ideas why it is not used if no one has done it?

Thanks.

ralphhood3 06-04-2010 06:50 PM

Can't help you with the front suspsension although there are folks on here that have done the front. I'm in the middle of installing the Mark VIII IRS in my 53 right now, should be finished tomorrow. I used the bracket kit from truckIRS.com and it's amazingly easy if you can measure accurately. Dave Held from their site has been extremely helpful in answering my questions before I purchased the brackets and any that have come up since then.

If you look for posts over the past couple weeks in this forum there's a thread on the MarkVIII swap with info from a couple other people that have done it as well, a couple people have done it with the same brackets I'm using and others have completely fabbed the install themselves.

The one thing I'm trying to figure out now is gas tank location. I want to do something that's not in the cab or under the driver's seat outside the frame rail (like the 53 is stock), and the typical mustang tank folks use I don't think will fit in the rear rails of my truck with the Mark VIII IRS installed since the mounting crossmember of the IRS sits so far behind the rear axle. I'm hoping to figure out some other gas tank install that'll fit between the frame rails, but depending on whether you're planning to relocate your 56 in cab tank you may want to consider that before putting the IRS in your truck.

Ralph

55 f350 06-05-2010 08:38 AM

look up mytbtruk / larry's build . he used a 95 thunder bird for the donor front and rear , and the thunderbird , cougar , and mark 8 are all the same car underneath except for the bags the lincoln has . also look up a thread by jeff and nichole as just about everyone using it has posted in that thread . later :-jammin

AXracer 06-05-2010 10:29 AM

Ralph,
have you considered using a 56 panel truck tank? It fits inside the frame rail under the truck.

ralphhood3 06-05-2010 10:41 PM

AxRacer, hadn't considered the 56 panel gas tank or even seen one before. I'll have to look into it and see if it'd work for me.

Thanks for the tip!

Ralph

Reginald56 06-06-2010 12:37 AM

I saw someone who said they were using a jeep tank.

J2Davis 09-18-2010 10:36 PM

I have purchased the 8.8 IRS from a 97 Mark III and am planning the install in my 56 F100. I wanted to mount the tank between the frame rails but realized it may not fit. I'll be interested in hearing what others end up doing.

Old F1 09-19-2010 10:27 AM

bump up to the top.

J2...... in most cases tagging on to an older thread sometimes gets missed, if you get no satisfaction try posting a new thread.