Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   Good idea or not??? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/961723-good-idea-or-not.html)

Farmboypowerstroke 05-31-2010 11:34 AM

Good idea or not???

I was thinking and I've been doing this for a couple weeks now. As soon as the truck starts I step on the throttle till about 1500 rpms then let off. Oil pressure goes up so much faster then starting it and letting it idle. Oil would be getting to the bearings a lot faster, right? Which in turn would be better for the engine. Or I'm I all wrong?

farmdad 05-31-2010 01:42 PM

Oil may be getting to the bearings faster but you are also turning a lot more "dry" revolutions than if you would let it idle up to pressure. In my opinion, the faster rotation of the crank etc. would have a greater chance of galling a bearing. I never rev an engine right after starting unless I have been cranking it for a while trying to start it in cold weather or some other reason. I'm sure others will chime in on this one. Good topic of discussion.

Riffraff Diesel 05-31-2010 02:30 PM

Eugene could probably give you some good specifics, but IMO I am with Mark on this...

Farmboypowerstroke 05-31-2010 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by farmdad (Post 8948367)
Oil may be getting to the bearings faster but you are also turning a lot more "dry" revolutions than if you would let it idle up to pressure. In my opinion, the faster rotation of the crank etc. would have a greater chance of galling a bearing. I never rev an engine right after starting unless I have been cranking it for a while trying to start it in cold weather or some other reason. I'm sure others will chime in on this one. Good topic of discussion.

I see what your saying.
Example, some of the john deere tractors rev up a little on their own when you start them. I have a JD 4440 you can have the throttle pulled all the way back, and it will still rev to 1,500 or so then return to idle. I was always told that was to get oil pressure up faster, to help the engine last longer. So I figured if thats the case, why wouldn't it work on our trucks? Maybe I was given false info I don't know, but I'd like to find out

farmdad 05-31-2010 03:07 PM

I'll ask my son-in-law about John Deere's idea. He's done quite a bit with Deere engines.

My NH 8970 does the same as your 4440. Certainly wasn't comfortable with it when we first got it but guess that's the way it is.

Clay, I too was thinking that this would be one for Eugene.

spdmpo 05-31-2010 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by Farmboypowerstroke (Post 8948603)
I see what your saying.
Example, some of the john deere tractors rev up a little on their own when you start them. I have a JD 4440 you can have the throttle pulled all the way back, and it will still rev to 1,500 or so then return to idle. I was always told that was to get oil pressure up faster, to help the engine last longer. So I figured if thats the case, why wouldn't it work on our trucks? Maybe I was given false info I don't know, but I'd like to find out

If your 4440 starts like every other 4440 on the planet, then it doesn't rev to 1500 rpm at the start, it romps up there until everything stabilizes then settles down to idle.

Farmboypowerstroke 05-31-2010 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by spdmpo (Post 8948683)
If your 4440 starts like every other 4440 on the planet, then it doesn't rev to 1500 rpm at the start, it romps up there until everything stabilizes then settles down to idle.

There must be something wrong with mine then

spdmpo 06-01-2010 12:53 AM

Maybe not, they all have their own personality. This is about how ours starts, worse in cold weather as it'll romp a little more. 'Cept no way in hell would we straight pipe any of our tractors, who wants to listen to that all day?

John Deere 4440 blowing out black smoke Video Ýzle, John Deere 4440 blowing out black smoke. video seyret,

I was surprised to find out how many farmers video their tractors and put it on the internet. Weird. :confused:

big poppa 06-01-2010 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by spdmpo (Post 8950687)
Maybe not, they all have their own personality. This is about how ours starts, worse in cold weather as it'll romp a little more. 'Cept no way in hell would we straight pipe any of our tractors, who wants to listen to that all day?

John Deere 4440 blowing out black smoke Video Ýzle, John Deere 4440 blowing out black smoke. video seyret,

I was surprised to find out how many farmers video their tractors and put it on the internet. Weird. :confused:

I don't know Keith, watch out for some produce(tomatoes) thrown at yaa from our farmer friends here for that comment..:-wow

JonathanN 06-01-2010 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by big poppa (Post 8950697)
I don't know Keith, watch out for some produce(tomatoes) thrown at yaa from our farmer friends here for that comment..:-wow

Oh boy... that's funny! I bet those farmers are thinking the same thing about us and our trucks, right? :-X04

spdmpo 06-01-2010 06:39 AM

Yes, they probably are. :-duel1

I know my dad is like :-X15 at both of them.