Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Lightning, Harley-Davidson F-150, Roush F-150 & Saleen F-150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum26/)
-   -   1st gen lightning air intake??? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/960891-1st-gen-lightning-air-intake.html)

strokin'_tatsch 05-27-2010 08:38 PM

1st gen lightning air intake???

Hey guys. i was wondering where y'all get your air intakes from. i'm in need of a complete 1st gen lightning air intake setup, tube, cold air, everything. anyone know where i can find one? everything i have found is basically just a filter that attaches to the stock tube. i need tubes and everything for my F-150(non lighting) b/c i reversed the upper intake to get the TB on the driver side. Thanks!!

Blurry94 05-27-2010 09:09 PM

You can make your own with some 90 degree and straight 3" exhaust pieces. Paint the pipes and add some colored silicone couplers to tie them together.

Stewart_H 05-27-2010 10:00 PM

You can get whatever shape, length, or size of silicone boots you may need from this site: Intercooler Pipe Fabrication - Silicone Intake Systems Auto Parts

T-bolt clamps too.

Stewart

strokin'_tatsch 05-29-2010 03:28 PM

Ok, so the 1st gen intake is simply 2 90* elbows and straight in the middle? i have never seen a lightning intake in person, i just knew they had GT40 intakes that were reversed like i have done on my F-150.. anyone have a pic of the intake and possibly how the throttle cable attaches on the Lightning throttle body? i need to do something different for a throttle cable bracket and don't know what yet. Thanks a bunch guys and thanks for the link to the boots too.:-X22

Stewart_H 05-29-2010 03:31 PM

Yer welcome! :)

Stewart

strokin'_tatsch 06-17-2010 09:59 PM

anyone have a pic of their 1st gen lightning intake??? it's looking like i can do mine with 45* bends, but i'm not sure if i can get it done like that or not. maybe some dimensions??? there are so many different radius bends out there that i can get it's not even funny!! :-missingt i haven't ordered the tubing yet b/c i don't want to spend the $$$ to find out that what i got isn't going to work. thanks guys!!

Blurry94 06-17-2010 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by strokin'_tatsch (Post 8942453)
Ok, so the 1st gen intake is simply 2 90* elbows and straight in the middle? i have never seen a lightning intake in person, i just knew they had GT40 intakes that were reversed like i have done on my F-150.. anyone have a pic of the intake and possibly how the throttle cable attaches on the Lightning throttle body? i need to do something different for a throttle cable bracket and don't know what yet. Thanks a bunch guys and thanks for the link to the boots too.:-X22

The throttle cable, along with the CC cable, attaches below the throttle body, through throttle cable bracket. You can use 45's or 90's...what ever you need to get it how you like it.

This pic was from many years ago when mine was still in stock form.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gal...id=231478&.jpg

strokin'_tatsch 06-17-2010 11:37 PM

thanks man. pictures always help me out a lot. i have a hard time picturing how things will go together. i appreciate it!!

Gen 1 driver 06-20-2010 08:03 PM

gen 1 intake

I believe I have a complete stock intake in the garage if you want to go that route. You can always just put a CAI on it.
this link has a couple of shots of the gen ! intake with a CAI

Unveiling Thread (56k GTFO) - The National Lightning Owners Club Inc

nybronc 10-03-2010 09:20 PM

look on rochester ny craigs list, I just bought his lightning long block, he has a intake setup also.

TexasGuy001 10-04-2010 02:48 AM

I think the only place to fine those parts is a salvage yard, Ebay, or maybe someone on here or NLOC has one. The air box is the same as the regular F150 air box. Don't just put a CAI on it. Those are worthless. That would be cool to go with the stock Lightning stuff and an I6/460 tube.

strokin'_tatsch 10-04-2010 02:24 PM

I got the intake finished up. I used 304 stainless mandrel 90* bends, and a few silicone boots w/ T bolt clamps to get it done. Pretty easy and fairly cheap. filter is open element, not a CIA. Using the biggest Amsoil air filter that I could get that would fit the MAF..

TexasGuy001 10-04-2010 03:23 PM

The open element is what CAIs are. They just suck in hot underhood air, so I don't know why they call them cold air intakes. I have had the FIPK which is the same thing on my truck and on our 97 Cobra and both ran better with the stock air box and filter.

bamastyle 11-30-2010 09:18 PM

dont rig anything just look on the net get something made for the truck you will be better of in the long run

strokin'_tatsch 12-01-2010 12:55 AM

rig??? Nothing is rigged here. TexasGuy may not like the intakes I build, but they work well for me. Never had a problem with an open element in the last 100k miles I have run one on my diesel