Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   Gooch's Radiator/Engine Backflush Procedure and Coolant Information (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/960812-goochs-radiator-engine-backflush-procedure-and-coolant-information.html)

wrd0225 09-25-2011 05:07 PM

Also why can't I use the HD ELC in 1988 F250 diesel?

Stewart_H 09-25-2011 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by wrd0225 (Post 10850214)
Also why can't I use the HD ELC in 1988 F250 diesel?

The following reason for not using ELC in an Early '99 7.3L PSD applies to your rig too.

Originally Posted by Stewart_H (Post 8935612)
The following information from Gooch pertains to why ELC's are not recommended for use in early '99 7.3L PSD's.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mostly it's the injector cups. International, who made the engine, found some compatibility issues with the older injector cup material, sensors, front cover, seals, gaskets, o-rings, and probably some other stuff when using coolants that contained organic acid technology (OAT). Coolants like ELC's (usually Red) and G-05 (usually Gold) will have these OAT's. Conventional coolants (usually Green) will not.

So International revised those components on all 2/2/99-up build engines (SN 940614-up), and began recommending and factory filling with HD ELC coolants mid-year 2000. Never looked back.

You could use HD ELC's in the older engines, but you run the risk of having to replace the cups and maybe some other stuff. I always try to recommend conventional coolant meeting ASTM D4985 with SCA or a pre-charged conventional coolant meeting ASTM D6210 for those. But it's your call, and some owners use the ELC in their older engine successfully. For the 2/2/99-up builds I would highly recommend upgrading to HD ELC.

BTW, if you need to check the build date of your engine, you can find it on the valve-cover tag (driver's side), or stamped on a machined surface on the underside of the engine, behind the oil filter and just ahead of the bell-housing cover. You may need to wire brush/clean it to read it.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stewart

Stewart

wrd0225 09-26-2011 01:03 AM

Thanks for answering. I was confused when reading the whole article.

ToMang07 10-10-2011 01:10 AM

Just wanted to say thank you for putting this info together, and thanks to "Gooch" for putting it out there. I have had it saved for a while, and I'm off tomorrow to attempt to find some good ELC. Thanks! :-X22

Stewart_H 10-10-2011 01:38 AM

Thanks for the "thanks." I appreciate it!

Stewart

A/Ox4 10-10-2011 01:56 AM

Originally Posted by ToMang07 (Post 10904006)
Just wanted to say thank you for putting this info together, and thanks to "Gooch" for putting it out there. I have had it saved for a while, and I'm off tomorrow to attempt to find some good ELC. Thanks! :-X22

My shipping offer is still good.

If you wanna call the CAT dealer over here and find out if they have it, I can pick it up and ship it for you. Remember, they are PST.

Quinn CAT Oxnard: 805-485-2171

Dont know how feasible it would be for you, but if all else fails..

twags6 10-10-2011 08:18 AM

I picked some Fleetrite ELC up at the local International dealer the other day. $19.55 a gallon.

A tip to add to this writeup.....If you're replacing the heater hoses and don't have the fancy release tool, just break the skinny part of the old connector off and pull the hose off. Its so much easier then trying to get those stupid clips to release.

And make sure all the hose connections are clean and smooth! I had to drain all the new coolant out after the new lower hose started leaking at the water pump.

ajohansson 10-28-2011 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by OTTOMATIC (Post 10669537)
I have been using an ELC coolant in my 99 with a build date of 6/98 on the motor since truck had 90,000 mi. It now has 350,000 mi on it. I have had zero coolant issues. Coolant has been changed 2x since 90,000 mi.

Now thats interesting. I have a 12/98 that is new to me and wanted to go to the CAT-ELC because that whats in my 2003 7.3 Excursion. I had no idea about the 2/99 build date until today. Been doing tons of research and finally came across this thread with a picture from Clay that shows that injector cup with no sealant left on it and how it just came right out with no resistance. I guess Im at a fork in the road.

AJ

Stewart_H 10-28-2011 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by ajohansson (Post 10974231)
I guess Im at a fork in the road.

Take the fork that leads you down the path of traditional "green" coolant maintained with SCA's.

Stewart

ajohansson 10-28-2011 08:52 PM

Yeah Im gonna take back the ELC I bought (glad i found the 2/99 thing today) and just get some CAT DEAC from the same place. That sound ok?

http://www.cat.com/cda/files/1386261/7/PEHP9554-03.pdf

A/Ox4 10-28-2011 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by ajohansson (Post 10974572)
Yeah Im gonna take back the ELC I bought (glad i found the 2/99 thing today) and just get some CAT DEAC from the same place. That sound ok?

http://www.cat.com/cda/files/1386261/7/PEHP9554-03.pdf

I'll give ya $20 for it :-X04

ajohansson 10-28-2011 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by A/Ox4 (Post 10974578)
I'll give ya $20 for it :-X04

Well I bought 5 of them so 20 aint gonna do it. The folks at Johnson machinery where I bought it are super cool and Im sure if I'm keeping one of them form my excision and returning 4 of them for 5 DEACs they will be cool about it. I might as well pick up a CAT SCA test kit while Im at it and some CAT SCA which i will probably need to put in the system in a year.

AJ

Spool&Go 11-09-2011 09:38 PM

My coolant has been low for a while now and so i went down to the napa without reading this thread first. I read the first few posts but wanted to know if anything has changed as far as the concentrate being preferable over the 50/50 stuff.

I bout 8 gallons of the 50/50 solution today and if I should take it back I will. Keep in mind i have an E99 so it is the green stuff.

I want to be all the way ready for winter so let me know!

Thanks

aklim 11-09-2011 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by Spool&Go (Post 11020356)
My coolant has been low for a while now and so i went down to the napa without reading this thread first. I read the first few posts but wanted to know if anything has changed as far as the concentrate being preferable over the 50/50 stuff.

I bout 8 gallons of the 50/50 solution today and if I should take it back I will. Keep in mind i have an E99 so it is the green stuff.

Thanks

I think the concentrate is preferable from the standpoint that you can mix it to the concentration you want since there will be some water left in the system after flushing it. Also it is cheaper to buy a gallon of concentrate and distilled water than a 50/50 mix which is concentrate and distilled water.

RainStroked 11-09-2011 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by Spool&Go (Post 11020356)

Thanks

Go with the concentrate for the reasons aklim mentioned. You're really getting expensive distilled water, and the last time I saw 50/50 premixed stuff it was only a buck or two cheaper than concentrate, but with half the good stuff inside. You can also use Fleet Charge or Prestone HD as mentioned in the original post, pink or purple in this case. I use pink myself, I really like how much longer the additive seems to last vs. the Ford additive. I almost never have to recharge it even after a year, but with green+Ford additive it would run low after 6-8 months or so.