Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   Gooch's Radiator/Engine Backflush Procedure and Coolant Information (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/960812-goochs-radiator-engine-backflush-procedure-and-coolant-information.html)

vw nuts 08-05-2011 11:22 PM

I read this whole thread. My question is i have a 7.3 sd build date of 08-98. have not looked at the number on the block. I have coolant i got from tractor supply it's called fleetcharge sca precarged, says its for all heavy-duty engines. It says it meets or exceeds astm d-6210 astm d-3306 astm d-4340 plus cat cummins etc. i read where the coolant with astm d-6210 is fine to use in pre 99 sd. Is that correct? The ingredients are ethylene glycol, diethylene glycol, water, corrosion inhibitors, silicates, defoamer, dyes. It does not say its extended life coolant(elc). Just want to make sure i can put this struff in my turck. Its completely drained, plan of the flush tomorrow. Oh, its made by old world industries, inc. northbrook IL. Any insight would be appreciated.

Brian.

Stewart_H 08-05-2011 11:40 PM

Yep, you have the right stuff.

You have the pre-charged coolant containing Supplemental Coolant Additives necessary for cavitation protection in coolant that is not an Organic Acid Technology coolant.

Stewart

fbh31118 08-05-2011 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by Stewart_H (Post 10664155)
I'm a tad confused (easily done if you ask my wife, LOL). What do you mean you're 2.5 gallons short?

Stewart

Pardon me. I meant 2.5 gallons short of being the full 8 gallons.

vw nuts 08-06-2011 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by Stewart_H (Post 10664859)
Yep, you have the right stuff.

You have the pre-charged coolant containing Supplemental Coolant Additives necessary for cavitation protection in coolant that is not an Organic Acid Technology coolant.

Stewart

Thanks for the quick reply, I thought it was good but had to make sure.
Thanks again, Brian.

Pitcrw6 08-06-2011 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by fbh31118 (Post 10664869)
Pardon me. I meant 2.5 gallons short of being the full 8 gallons.

2.5 or 2 1/2 is the same. If u followed goochs instructions then at the most u would have to add I would have to say is a gal. Did u ck ur oil to see if u have coolant mixed in with it.

Stewart_H 08-06-2011 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by robbragiel (Post 10665092)
2.5 or 2 1/2 is the same.

Ummm, two-and-a-half is 2 1/2 no matter how it's written, that wasn't the confusion. Although if I'm half asleep it might confuse me...LOL. :-X04

I'm trying to figure out if his cooling system is 2.5 gallons short of being full, and if it is why he doesn't just top it off, or if he wasn't able to add the whole 4 gallons of coolant and only got in a gallon and a half.

Stewart

Pitcrw6 08-06-2011 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by Stewart_H (Post 10666038)
Ummm, two-and-a-half is 2 1/2 no matter how it's written, that wasn't the confusion. Although if I'm half asleep it might confuse me...LOL. :-X04

I'm trying to figure out if his cooling system is 2.5 gallons short of being full, and if it is why he doesn't just top it off, or if he wasn't able to add the whole 4 gallons of coolant and only got in a gallon and a half.

Stewart

Stewart, im not saying u were confused, what im saying is at first he said 2.5 then he said pardon me 2 1/2.

Im wondering if his truck was on a slope or tilted to one side.

Were u able to remove the block plugs on both sides of the block? If not then that could be the reason why he was only able to add 1 1/2 gal or he has a huge air pocket somewhere. Im just throwing different ideas out there. Interesting

fbh31118 08-06-2011 10:56 PM

Ok, I know now what happend now... I was unable to get the plug out over the starter so I just kept flushing the system with distilled water until there was no trace of green left. That explains the missing 2 1/2 gallons. Seems like I had to run 30 gallons of water between back flushing and distilled to get it all out. Thanks for the help everyone!! :-jammin

Pitcrw6 08-06-2011 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by fbh31118 (Post 10667413)
Ok, I know now what happend now... I was unable to get the plug out over the starter so I just kept flushing the system with distilled water until there was no trace of green left. That explains the missing 2 1/2 gallons. Seems like I had to run 30 gallons of water between back flushing and distilled to get it all out. Thanks for the help everyone!! :-jammin

Since ur 2 1/2 gals short on coolant make sure u get the right mixture 50/50.

OTTOMATIC 08-07-2011 06:06 PM

I have been using an ELC coolant in my 99 with a build date of 6/98 on the motor since truck had 90,000 mi. It now has 350,000 mi on it. I have had zero coolant issues. Coolant has been changed 2x since 90,000 mi.

servion 09-09-2011 06:31 PM

Please help! Hopefully I'm overthinking this...

I just picked up a dieselsite coolant filtration kit and I'm going to be using this flush procedure on my 2002 7.3 F-350. The only concentrated coolant I could find from this thread locally was the CAT ELC (and it was $28/gal :O). After I got home, I realized I got "CAT ELC": I could not find a "CAT HD ELC". I also realized that CAT makes "DEAC", which is a diesel specific coolant.

Here is what I got:

http://serviontuning.com/miscellaneous/f350/cat_elc.jpg

Did I get the right stuff, or do I need to try and return it and get the DEAC or a different coolant all-together?

Also, I stumbled upon this thread on bobistheoilguy that scared me Question about Caterpillar ELC antifreeze - Bob Is The Oil Guy - Specifically, 5 posts in:

Both Cat ELC and Dexcool inhibitor packages are 2-EHA based and will attack plastic and silicone gaskets.
So, did I do ok, or do I need to try and return this to get something better for my 2002 7.3? If this is OK, it says on the bottle not to add and SCA's - I'm hoping that because it already has the SCA for cavitation, and not because its not the "diesel" DEAC coolant that cat makes.

BTW, great thread! I signed up here after finding this thread :)

SpringerPop 09-09-2011 07:51 PM

You got the right stuff. Says right on it, EC-1.

Read Gooch's treatise on ELCs, courtesy of Stewart:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...ml#post8936443

Pop

Stewart_H 09-10-2011 02:09 AM

Originally Posted by servion (Post 10792645)
If this is OK, it says on the bottle not to add and SCA's - I'm hoping that because it already has the SCA for cavitation, and not because its not the "diesel" DEAC coolant that cat makes.

Marv has already answered your question, but I wanted to specifically answer the above quoted question too.

A Heavy Duty Extended Life Coolant does not protect an engine and it's peripheral parts from cavitation by using a Supplemental Coolant Additive package. That's the "no maintenance" aspect of a HD ELC coolant.

Here's some information I just posted in another thread the other day (slightly edited version):

Originally Posted by Stewart_H (Post 10789932)

As you know, conventional "green" coolant needs to be charged with a Supplemental Coolant Additive (SCA) package and tested with test strips as part of the maintenance of the coolant.

Conventional "green" coolant typically use a phosphate/silicate mix as the main components in their inhibitor system. Conventional inhibitors like silicates and phosphates work by forming a protective blanket that actually insulates the metals from the coolant. These inhibitors can be characterized chemically as inorganic oxides (silicates, phosphates, borates, etc.). Because these inhibitor systems are depleted by forming a protective layer, conventional green coolants need to be changed at regular intervals.

Conventional coolants containing silicates degrade primarily due to rapid inhibitor depletion. This is because silicates lay down protective layers as part of their protection mechanism. That means the SCA level must be tested on a regular basis and added as necessary to ensure against cavitation.

Heavy Duty OAT ELC's use carboxylates as an inhibitor to prevent cavitation. Carboxylates actually interact with the metal to protect from cavitation. It does not form a layer that will deplete or wear away over time.

(ELC is) a superior upgrade over the conventional "green", since the "green" inherently will, due to it's chemical make up and the way it protects, have particles that can eat the water pump seal over time.

One of the benefits to using an ELC is the no-maintenance aspect of the coolant where test strips and SCA packages are needed for conventional coolants.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post10789932

Stewart

servion 09-10-2011 10:40 AM

Thank you for the response. My main concern was that nothing on the bottle said "HD", and everything here is calling out exlicitly using HD coolants. It sounds like the fact that it meets the "EC-1" standard implicitly makes it an HD coolant, because it's chemical design works differently than SCA's do (which is also why it says to not add SCA's).

So I guess my next question is, what's up with CAT's DEAC stuff which is designed for diesel engines. If the EC-1 is good for our diesel's regarding cavitation and protection of cooling components, what is different about their DEAC coolant?where

wrd0225 09-25-2011 05:03 PM

I am confused after reading this radiator coolant procedure. I just want to know what is best or good for my 1988 F250 diesel.