Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   Gooch's Radiator/Engine Backflush Procedure and Coolant Information (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/960812-goochs-radiator-engine-backflush-procedure-and-coolant-information.html)

PaulDH 11-14-2010 02:08 AM

Originally Posted by Stewart_H (Post 9555621)
Paul, what year is your rig?

Stewart

Stewart,
It's a 2001 F250 CCLB Lariat 4x4 PSD. If I understood all of the Gooch-sourced information you provided, the Chevron Delo ELC will be fine - correct? About $20/gallon in Anchorage. I guess that's in the ballpark for cost?

By the way, thanks for posting all of this 7.3L PSD coolant information in one Thread. Very nice!

Stewart_H 11-14-2010 10:42 PM

Yep, 2001 is good to go and yeah, that's why I asked.

Glad everything in one thread helps. I'd not seen that anywhere else, only Gooch's flush procedure. Also, I thought it would be nice for FTE to have their own "Gooch" thread so people don't have to post links to other boards.

Plus, after looking at all the other boards I have bookmarked (but rarely visit), this is the first thread on the 'net to have a compilation of all the Gooch info! ;)

Stewart

petepetersen 11-20-2010 08:54 AM

I apologize if this has already been discussed but I am confused -

Can I use the widely available automotive grade 5yr/150mile extended life (EL) antifreeze (label that shows ASTM D-3306 ASTM-D4985 spec) with SCA (Wix (aka NAPA brand) ?

Stewart_H 11-20-2010 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by petepetersen (Post 9582082)
I apologize if this has already been discussed but I am confused -

Can I use the widely available automotive grade 5yr/150mile extended life (EL) antifreeze (label that shows ASTM D-3306 ASTM-D4985 spec) with SCA (Wix (aka NAPA brand) ?

Readers Digest version, ASTM D-3306 means it's an ethylene glycol coolant.

ASTM D-4985 means it's an ethylene glycol coolant for diesel engines.

ASTM-D4985 is the specification for low silicate ethylene glycol base engine coolant for engines requiring a pre-charge of Supplemental Coolant Additive (SCA).

I would read that to mean it's the traditional "green" coolant, but the "low silicate" portion of the spec sheet and your post stating it's good for 5 years/150K miles makes me wonder if it's a Hybrid-Organic Acid Technology (H-OAT) Extended Life Coolant, otherwise referred to as the "gold" coolant.

What year is your truck?

What's the name and the brand of coolant?

Stewart

petepetersen 11-20-2010 02:18 PM

My truck is 1994 F250 7.3 IDI NA

I saw those specs on the Walmart Supertech (green in color ) and Advance Auto Parts house brand containers (unopened) that I had in my garage. It does appear that these coolants have HOAT additive compounds. I wonder if it would be okay to SCA to it ?
- Thanks

What year is your truck?

What's the name and the brand of coolant?"

Stewart_H 11-20-2010 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by petepetersen (Post 9582743)
My truck is 1994 F250 7.3 IDI NA

I saw those specs on the Walmart Supertech (green in color ) and Advance Auto Parts house brand containers (unopened) that I had in my garage.

Lacking any further information, my best guess based on your above paragraph is the coolant is a traditional "green" ethylene glycol coolant that needs a supplemental coolant additive to work properly and protect your diesel engine.

It does appear that these coolants have HOAT additive compounds.
Silicated H-OAT antifreeze uses an inorganic inhibitor silicate. The organic acid is called benzoate. The antifreeze inhibitor package contains a copper/ brass inhibitor, either BZT (benzotriazole) or TTZ (tolyltriazole), to protect any small copper parts.

Ford started using this silicated H-OAT formula starting with the 2002 model year trucks, traditionally gold in color, equivalent to the Zerex G-05 coolant.

I wonder if it would be okay to SCA to it?
If you're unsure, grab a test strip and test the coolant before putting it in your engine.

BTW, because of the year of your truck, per International who made your engine, a traditional ethylene glycol ("green") coolant is the only one you should use, along with a proper SCA package.

A Hybrid-OAT (the Ford "gold") or even a heavy duty Extended Life Coolant (an OAT coolant, usually red in color) is not recommended for your truck.

Stewart

petepetersen 11-20-2010 04:57 PM

Thanks for the feedback I think that I will pass on using those jugs of Walmart and Advance house brand antifreeze in my Ford IDI with SCA.

I have heard that Advance Autoparts sells "green" Peak antifreez that is not labeled 5yr/150k mile or "extended life" . If that is the case , I will use it to mix with the NAPA Kool FIL-4058 SCA that I already have.

Now to find a place to buy a few test strips (not a case or bottle that will expire before if use them) .

- Thanks

joe Kikiwai 12-19-2010 03:37 AM

thanks for the information:-dancing1 planning my flush also.

DavidE 04-22-2011 05:35 PM

I've just found out that Valkvoline is no longer supplying the Zerex HD EL non silicate antifreesze. In prep for doing a flush and EL fill purchased 4 gal a few months back as that was all the NAPA outlet had in stock. Went to several stores over the past month to get a spare gallon and couldn't find anywhere. Also no longer shown on either of their websites. Question is what other non silicate HD EL antifreezs can I use if I need to top up my rad ??? Can Gooch pls help answer this?? :-huh

Stewart_H 04-22-2011 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by DavidE (Post 10252951)
Question is what other non silicate HD EL antifreezs can I use if I need to top up my rad ???

ANY Heavy Duty Extended Life Coolant can be used.

Stewart

DavidE 04-22-2011 08:52 PM

Thanks Stewart, That helps a lot. :-drink

Pitcrw6 05-06-2011 04:13 AM

I was just wondering can heavy duty ELC coolant be used in a regular gas engine. I have 3 FE 390 big block engines that I need to flush along with my 2 diesels, or do I need to stay with conventional coolant for those?

SpringerPop 05-06-2011 06:01 AM

Sure. It's kinda' pricey over-kill, but you can use ELC in gassers without problems.

Pop

MHammer21 06-02-2011 12:21 PM

Didn't see it mentioned anywhere in the thread (I am sure I missed it though), but what is recommended for Pre 99 7.3's? Is it just the "Green" low silica and we have to add the SCA's or is there an HD ELC available for my year (96).
Thanks in advance!

SpringerPop 06-02-2011 12:58 PM

Pre 99-1/2 should NOT use ELC. It attacks the sealant used for the injector cups, and eventually causes a leaking problem there.

Use the green, low-silicate, with the SCA of your choice, DCA-2 or DCA-4.

Ford uses the DCA-4 (Fleetguard), but I personally use DCA-2 (PenCool 3000).

See this for an explanation of the difference:
http://www.fcocrv.org/Documents/PDF/...CA-2_Gooch.pdf

Pop