Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 to 2016 Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum30/)
-   -   Which service(s) are dealer recommended? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/960718-which-service-s-are-dealer-recommended.html)

UaVaj 05-27-2010 09:58 AM

Which service(s) are dealer recommended?

I recieved a non transferrable gift of $125 for service (can not be used for just parts) at my local dealer that expires soon.

I do wrench a little and can handle normal maintaince such as oil change, tranny fluid change, fuel filter change, coolant change, brake fluid change, differential fluid change and the such. I can also handle small job such as brake change, rotate tire tires, batteries changes, air filter change and the such. The truck currently has 60k and has a clean oasis (never any warranty work).

There is no reason to waste this gift on something I can handle myself.
What is a recommended service that a dealer should do?

I was thinking:
(1) EGR cleaning service for $240 (not sure if needed)
or
(2) auto front hub maintaince (it has been acting up lately) for $??? (I still need to call for a quote)
or
(3) flash to the latest update (not sure what version I have - pretty sure it is 2006)
or
(4) both fuel filter service for $130 (this is now due)
or
(5) something else

TennesseeMustangPerf 05-27-2010 10:13 AM

Well, just my opinion but those prices are a bit insane if you ask me. $240 to clean an EGR? $130 to service two filters that normally cost $60 for both and take five minutes to change out...

bpounds 05-27-2010 10:34 AM

It kind of depends on how many miles you have on the truck.

But the one thing you cannot really do properly yourself is a transmission flush. You can get by with a pan drain and fill every 15k miles. But if you've got, oh lets say 60k for example, it is time for a complete flush with their special machine.

smlford 05-27-2010 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by bpounds (Post 8934109)
It kind of depends on how many miles you have on the truck.

But the one thing you cannot really do properly yourself is a transmission flush. You can get by with a pan drain and fill every 15k miles. But if you've got, oh lets say 60k for example, it is time for a complete flush with their special machine.

Once again I agree....

mwsF250 05-27-2010 02:01 PM

Let's see, what would I trust my local dealership to do...

Hmmm....

Well, it would be easy to check (and correct!) their work after changing the air filter, so yeah, I'd let them do that....

In other words, if your dealerships service dept is like mine, the best thing you could do for the truck is burn the cert....

TennesseeMustangPerf 05-27-2010 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by mwsF250 (Post 8934785)
In other words, if your dealerships service dept is like mine, the best thing you could do for the truck is burn the cert....

:-wink:-X14:-X14:-X14

Also sounds like on some of those "services" they are jacking the price up $125 for his $125 coupon. lol.

You did say that not all of it could be used on parts, right? Some of it had to be on service. Simple. Buy $120 worth of stuff from their parts counter and have them refill the windshield washer fluid for ya. Bingo bango, problem solved!