Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum174/)
-   -   Upgrade OEM GPS/NAV on 2007 Expy to SYNC System (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/958507-upgrade-oem-gps-nav-on-2007-expy-to-sync-system.html)

st381 05-18-2010 11:38 PM

Upgrade OEM GPS/NAV on 2007 Expy to SYNC System

Hi,

Noob here. I just purchased a 2007 Ford Expedition EL Limited, fully loaded, a great low mileage find. I like the OEM Nav but the wife wants the SYNC stuff and a back up camera. I have a couple of questions:

1. Can I purchase a new Gen I or II Ford OEM Nav Radio with SYNC for my vehicle and would it work with minimal or no additional hook ups?

2. Does the rear DVD system run a video cable to the area of the Nav unit to watch the DVD while in park should I choose to upgrade?

3. Does the later model rear camera OEM Parts work on the 2007 Expy? Would I need to run wires? Would the rear view mirror with LCD screen be powered with the 07 wires?

Thanks in advance to all that respond!

Tylus 05-19-2010 12:46 AM

1. no

2. ???

3. Yes, you might be lucky, but most likely the wires will not be there.

The OEM is awesome (I have it), but you would really be better off IMO with one of those liscense plate camera's and a good touchscreen unit like a Pioneer.

As for Sync...Ford got wierd and in 2008 they rewired the cars differently. Now the radio system runs on the CanBus system. Ford specifically says early 2008 and older models cannot run Sync. Only later 2008 and 2009 models can be retro-fitted.

sucks. But I rectified that with a JVC headunit. Very nice. It isn't as smart as the Sync obviously, but it gets the job done. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news

st381 05-19-2010 01:31 AM

That's a bummer, oh well. My second question which caused confusion was referencing that the newer Navs will show the movie playing on the Rear DVD screen on the Nav screen while in park. Now I know that if everything was rewired in 08 and beyond the answer is probably no.

wiingnut 05-19-2010 05:50 AM

I have an 08 Super Duty with Fac Nav and a rear DVD. When in Park my Nav doesn't show movie on nav screen. I believe there are some aftermarket navs that do this though. As for the sync it was avail in most 09 vehicles, the only available upgrade I'm aware of is to 08 Navigators. If I'm off base, I'm sure someone will chime in with the correct info. I would like to add it to my F 350

gpfarrell 05-19-2010 10:11 AM

Another member here pointed me towards the Lockpick 360. I don't have a link but you can searh it here or Google it and you'll find it. They have a wiring harness that you should be able to plug into your NAV radio to pick-up a video feed from a rear camera. They also sell cameras.

I ordered the harness and the license plate camera from them and it should all arrive today. Oh, they even have a video on-line that helps with the installation!

I'll be putting it into our '07 Nav L with NAV in the near future, but it seems like the best way to get the back-up camera. I'm not sure about what DVD capabilities it might unlock.

st381 05-19-2010 11:39 PM

I purchased the Lockpick 360 and the license plate camera today as well. Let me know how your installation went. I am brainstorming how to run the wires for a clean looking install from the camera to the radio.

hndacr 05-25-2010 01:24 PM

Most people don't truly understand what SYNC actually is. IF you look at an 09+ Ford vehicle, you will see a very high tech navigation system. This is not SYNC. This is a Hardrive based navigation with voice activation and onboard jukebox. SYNC is a small piece of hardware/software that allows blue tooth and mp3 voice activated connectivity. If you do have navigation, you will view the SYNC screenflows on the navigation screen.