Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.0L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum107/)
-   -   Manually Control Cooling Fan (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/958264-manually-control-cooling-fan.html)

Snoop23 05-18-2010 08:57 AM

Manually Control Cooling Fan

Has anyone looked into this? Pulling a heavy load in stop and go traffic, I'd like the ability to override the computer and be able to turn on the fan whenever I want to. If it's hot out, and I'm sitting in traffic with a trailer, on my tow tune, I notice my temps start to slowly climb and I want to have a little bit more control of the temps.

A simple toggle switch is what I had in mind.

Nixoninc 05-18-2010 10:04 AM

I would be interested in knowing this myself. Anyone??

gearloose1 05-18-2010 10:45 AM

Easy to rig up.

Snoop23 05-18-2010 11:00 AM

Switch 12v to the fan control wire? Any resistance suggested? diodes?

gearloose1 05-18-2010 11:42 AM

Well, you can switch 12 V to the fan direct, or be a bit more cute and see if you can just trip the existing relay.

dchamberlain 05-18-2010 12:20 PM

I don't think it's that simple. The fan isn't just ON or OFF. It's a variable speed fan clutch. I can't find specifics in the service manual, but I'm guessing the signal to the fan is some sort of pulse width signal and wouldn't be simple to control manually.

dchamberlain 05-18-2010 12:24 PM

I found this...

The fan speed sensor is a Hall-Effect sensor integral to the vistronic drive fan (VDF). The PCM will monitor the sensor input and control the VDF speed based upon engine coolant temperature (ECT), transmission fluid temperature (TFT) and intake air temperature (IAT) requirements. When an increase in fan speed for vehicle cooling is requested, the PCM will monitor the FSS signal and output the required pulse width modulated (PWM) signal to a fluid port valve within the VDF.

Snoop23 05-18-2010 02:10 PM

Can we just throw a square wave at it and pwm it?

Cowboy65 05-18-2010 02:20 PM

As David pointed out the PCM uses multiple parameters to control the fan in order to optimize engine cooling. I think I would let the computer do it's job and not try to control it manually. Also remember this is not a standard fan clutch so if you do decide to try manual control I would really understand this circuit before I "rigged up" something. The fan is controlled by a visitronic drive which operates from a 12v PWM signal from the PCM. The PWM signal controls the on-off time of a valve (via a relay) which determines the fan speed. There is also a Hall Effect speed sensor which supplies feedback to the PCM. How does the PCM programming respond to the speed sensor feedback when the fan isn't supposed to be operating?

Snoop23 05-18-2010 02:28 PM

Good point.

gearloose1 05-18-2010 03:48 PM

Dcham etc. are right, think mine (E series) is old fashioned manual and not electronically controlled.

What would be needed is either reprogram PCM, or to spoof it to think it is hotter, or to do a PCM module add on.

Not simple...

Alternative might be to slap on a manual electric fan in front.

cheezit 05-18-2010 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by gearloose1 (Post 8902454)
Dcham etc. are right, think mine (E series) is old fashioned manual and not electronically controlled.

sorry but same fan cluth in both e and f

gearloose1 05-18-2010 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by cheezit (Post 8903109)
sorry but same fan cluth in both e and f

Durn... here it is I am hoping I get the antique crap that other people sneer at.

KPBJJ 12-21-2013 01:14 AM

What's the latest on the fan clutch mod guys? Anybody figure out how to do it? Mine was running all the time so I just disconnected it for the time being. I would like to be able to manually turn it on before towing up a giant hill.

npccpartsman 12-21-2013 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by KPBJJ (Post 13866660)
What's the latest on the fan clutch mod guys? Anybody figure out how to do it? Mine was running all the time so I just disconnected it for the time being. I would like to be able to manually turn it on before towing up a giant hill.

If you'll find out what's making it run all the time and fix it the PCM does quite well at running the fan correctly.