Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Excursion - King of SUVs (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum29/)
-   -   Installing Driving Lights - Wiring Question (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/958207-installing-driving-lights-wiring-question.html)

blowhole 05-17-2010 11:24 PM

Installing Driving Lights - Wiring Question

Got a wiring question: Got 4 Hella's I am installing and am curious what wire I need to tap into for energizing the relay(s) so that the lights can come on with both the high and low beams??

Is it easiest to tap the wire just behind the headlight? If not, where is the best place to tap it?

For info purposes: I am installing two switches on the dash to control each set of 2. I am just using the Hella harness that came with the lights, nothing complicated.

Thanks in advance, and let me know of any best practices ya'll have found when doing similar mods.

BigPigDaddy 05-18-2010 12:01 AM

I just installed two Hellas, but I ran my relay off the high beam with no switch so when I hit the high beams the Hellas come on at the same time. You might tap your relay off the parking lights. That will give you relay power whenever high or low beams are on.

blowhole 05-18-2010 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by BigPigDaddy (Post 8900330)
I just installed two Hellas, but I ran my relay off the high beam with no switch so when I hit the high beams the Hellas come on at the same time. You might tap your relay off the parking lights. That will give you relay power whenever high or low beams are on.

Aaah, very good idea, BigPig! You don't happen to know which wire that would be, and where?? (Reps given).

wallz 05-18-2010 11:04 AM

I would just run thru the firewall with the supplied leeds and go to the extra supplied fuse for "user". I believe it is hot on key.

BAJI26 05-18-2010 12:35 PM

Just tap it right by the park lights using a relay... simplest!

BigPigDaddy 05-18-2010 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by blowhole (Post 8901046)
Aaah, very good idea, BigPig! You don't happen to know which wire that would be, and where?? (Reps given).

I believe it was black w/green stripe. Just check the wires at your headlight socket, it's the one that powers on when you flip the high beam switch. I traced it back to the firewall just under the passenger side wiper area and tapped into it there to keep it from exposure to the elements. I then mounted my relay on the stud that holds the starter relay, and used the starter relay for my constant 12V on the Hella relay. That kept all wires on the passenger side of the engine compartment nice and neat. If you didn't see the relay you wouldn't know it was there.

I can get pics, but not today.

robert_l_ross 06-06-2011 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by blowhole (Post 8900224)
...for energizing the relay(s) so that the lights can come on with both the high and low beams??

Add a cut off switch...most states only allow 4 white lights to the front maximum (low beams+driving lights). Most states require all other white lights are off when the high beam lights are on.

...take it from someone who's received a ticket for too many lights to the front.