Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum32/)
-   -   How to install a brake controller... '07 Explorer (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/957796-how-to-install-a-brake-controller-07-explorer.html)

jjlrrw 05-16-2010 05:55 PM

How to install a brake controller... '07 Explorer

Okay, Just picked up a 2007 Explorer EB 4.6L V8 Class III/IV tow package, 2" receiver, #7300 max gross trailer weight.

Next step is to install a brake controller...

I did a search but got lost in all the different years.

I would like to install my self but may also get a quote from an accessories shop.

Any tips/tricks on installing one of these, Wiring? brands of controller to look for and look out for?

Thanks for all information

Steina 05-16-2010 10:40 PM

Have you found the under-dash connector for a controller? If so, installation is plug-n-play with the correct harness. If not, let me know - it's probably on the passenger side.

I'd vote for the Prodigy controller.

Steve

jjlrrw 05-17-2010 07:21 AM

Thanks for the reply! I did not find a connector on the drivers side, I was looking for a gray 5 pin, may need to take a better look with a light. I would think the wire harness is a separate purchase, would I get this through Prodigy or from the Ford dealer?

Thanks,

Steina 05-17-2010 11:28 AM

Remove the glove box, then look up and toward the center; you should see the connector taped up high. You'll need to pull the wiring harness over to the driver's side; I used a long tie-wrap to pull the harness across in front of the center console. Buy the Ford-specific harness at the same time you get the controller.

Steve

jjlrrw 05-18-2010 08:45 PM

After another look I found a gray 6 pin connector populated with 4 wires on the drivers side left of the brake pedal clipped to the dash. I think this may be the guy and based on what you're telling me if I buy the controller and correct harness I just plug it in and should be good to go.

P3 - Brake Controller w/OEM Harness - Tekonsha Control: eBay Motors (item 300427479781 end time May-18-10 20:14:00 PDT)

Thanks for all the help, I have a 6 - 8 months before I need it so I may keep an eye open for a used one.

Steina 05-19-2010 12:54 AM

Not sure that's the connector; it used to be 3-over-3 with 5 wires (continuous 12vdc, ground, 12vdc when brake pedal is pushed, power to rear 7-pin if a controller is installed, and 12vdc from inst. lights). The inst. lights wire isn't used with the Tekonsha harness; if you have a multimeter you can check the pins of the connector you found to make sure it's the correct one. IIRC, red is power from the cold side of the brake light switch and heavy blue is for the 7-pin. Also, check your Owner's Guide to make sure all towing relays/fuses are installed.

Steve

duckman903 05-23-2010 12:46 PM

controller

I have a 07 sport trac and the plug is on the drivers side to the left of the steering column its a 6 hole 3 over 2 wires. On the Tekonsha site its the 3035 plug adapter. The plug is right above and to the right of the brake release its clipped right in back of the inst. panel.

Steina 05-25-2010 04:22 PM

Duckie -

Unfortunately, Ford put the connector on the pass. side on Gen. III Explorers; don't know if they got wise with the Gen. IV

Welcome to FTE!!!

Steve

jjlrrw 05-26-2010 06:25 AM

Ordered a Prodigy and harness yesterday, looking at the harness online is looked like a 6 pin dual row that fits the vehicle and a 4 pin single row that fits the controller. Maybe that was a stock/generic picture of the harness? The gray 6 pin dual row I found on the drivers same area as Duckman on his '07 seems like the one I am looking for.