Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum168/)
-   -   Real retarded question... (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/957402-real-retarded-question.html)

Midwest Dually 05-15-2010 12:57 AM

Real retarded question...

I know, I search, but havent found any specifics! I am looking into starting up my own BD project.. Stupid question of the century..

Can a person run their Diesel (7.3di) on straight home made BD?

No adding to current fuel, but use as a complete fuel?

binuya 05-15-2010 01:39 AM

Originally Posted by Midwest Dually (Post 8890584)
I know, I search, but havent found any specifics! I am looking into starting up my own BD project.. Stupid question of the century..

Can a person run their Diesel (7.3di) on straight home made BD?

No adding to current fuel, but use as a complete fuel?

I do, and several others here also run B100. Being that yours is a '94 however, you may need to see if your fuel system lines, seals, etc. are compatible. Not sure when exactly, but in the mid '90's, Ford/International went to viton fuel components. Our 7.3's run great on bio.

Midwest Dually 05-15-2010 01:50 AM

Ahh, well here is the good thing.. The truck is a 94, but the engine, trans, electrical and ECU are all from a 97!

binuya 05-15-2010 09:19 AM

You should be good to go! If fuel tank is original '94, you may want to check compatability at those components.

Midwest Dually 05-15-2010 01:21 PM

Good to know! While completing this swap, everything in the truck was swapped out with the 97 parts, fuel tanks, fuel lines, the whole mess!

Doing the swap, really in order to make sure it worked soundly and doesnt have any issues, I had to essentially build a 97 model! LOL!

I have done a good amount of research on making bio-diesel, and the more I learn, the more I am strongly swayed to starting this process.. I am really amazed with this stuff!

binuya 05-15-2010 01:33 PM

Here's a link to a good place to get started:

make-biodiesel.org

And for the latest advancements, plenty of great information and tons of reading, this forum has many of the leaders in homebrewed biodiesel:

Forums - Powered by Social Strata

You may have already caught on to these sites, but just in case you hadn't yet, I thought these would help. Good luck.

Midwest Dually 05-15-2010 05:08 PM

Thank ya!!

The first link I havent seen, so it will be serious reading time tonight! The second one I did come across, and very informative.. It actually gave me lots to start with and develop from there! Great technical data and specifics!

At first when I started considering this, I was very reluctant and worried about the work and technical aspects of getting into it.. The more I read, the more I learn, the less frightening this looks! One of those sites talked about "running tests on a small scale first".. I like that idea.. Then I can actually see the process in its working state, and get a much better idea!

I am really planning to be running B-100 only from here on out once I get up and going!

fabmandelux 05-15-2010 07:10 PM

One of the guys that use to spend a lot of time on this forum lives in Phoenix. If you are close to there I could email him and see if he would let you see his set-up. I'm sure he would help ya get started.

Midwest Dually 05-15-2010 07:55 PM

That would be awesome, as I am in the northern part of outter Phoenix! I would be greatly appreciative of guideance, input, seeing operations!

Thank you!

fabmandelux 05-15-2010 07:59 PM

I'll see if I can get ahold of him.

Midwest Dually 05-15-2010 08:01 PM

I greatly appreciate that! A person can never expand their mind too much! :)

fabmandelux 05-15-2010 08:09 PM

I just sent him a PM and an email. When he contacts me I'll let ya know!

Midwest Dually 05-15-2010 08:20 PM

OK! Sounds great!

Brown Falcon 05-16-2010 08:58 AM

My dad is running B100 in his '05 Cummins with no problems. And 7.3's love bio. He's running a Fuel Meister system to make his at home.

Rushmore X 05-16-2010 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by Brown Falcon (Post 8893928)
My dad is running B100 in his '05 Cummins with no problems. And 7.3's love bio. He's running a Fuel Meister system to make his at home.

Don't get a system, make your own. You'll save yourself alot of $$$. }>