Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Texas Chapter (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum96/)
-   -   Visiting Clear Lake/Seabrook/League City in June (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/956704-visiting-clear-lake-seabrook-league-city-in-june.html)

cigarxtc 05-12-2010 03:17 PM

Visiting Clear Lake/Seabrook/League City in June

Howdy fellow Texans. I've been transplanted outta state since about 1991. Sigh. I miss my old stompin grounds. Well my family and i are visiting my sister and her family in League City the second week of June. I know that Ike messed a lot of things up down there a couple years ago, but i was hoping some of my fellow Ford Truck buddies could point me in the right direction?...
|
|
|
-Can you recommend any reasonable($$$) fishing charters that might be able to accomodate 4 adults and 4 kids?
-Anybody rented Seadoos lately, and recommend any particular rental place? (I remember in the late '80s watching all the seadoo rentals ridin around on Clear Lake.)
-Is the parasail over Clear Lake worth $45?
-Is the car/truck ferry still running from Bolivar Peninsula to the mainland?(I think that's the area that we used to ride the car ferry on?...)
-How is the Texas City Dike loooking? Is there any access yet? I read last week that they just started reconstruction.
-Where can we all pier/bank fish and almost be gauranteed to catch fish?(assuming the oil slick doesn't reach the area by then...)
-Where can we go crabbing from the shore or pier?
-Is the Kemah Boardwalk area restored?
-What's a nice romantic dinner date restaurant in Kemah/Seabrook, if any?
|
|
|
I'm sure i'll have more questions and will post them later. Thanks in advance.

-Ron Harmsen

Texas Outlaw 05-12-2010 03:23 PM

I can answer a couple of the questions.

Kemah is back up and running. You cannot even tell anything happened there.

Yes, the Bolivar Ferry is operational from Bolivar Island to Galveston.

For a nice romantic dinner in Kemah, I would go to the Flying Dutchman.

You will be amazed at how fast this entire area has rebounded from Hurricane Ike. In most areas it's hard to tell that we even had a storm. That's the Texas way.

knash0727 05-12-2010 10:25 PM

Whoop!!!!!!

plumber01 05-13-2010 04:54 AM

Texas City Dike still closed.
Crabbing on the pier is next to a place that rents jet skis also off of 61st st. in Galveston.
There is now a Nasa Rd. 1 bypass that makes it easier and less traffic from 45 to Hyw 3 and down to space center blvd.
You have kids, right off of 45 (on the N.bound side) there is a place called MAIN EVENT. It has laser tag, bowling, pool(billiards), putt putt golf(glow in the dark) video games and food. there is a new Marriott Spring Hill Suites right behind it.
There is also a new resteraunt off of Space City Blvd towards red bluff(it goes all the way thru now) called Cullens, VERY nice and romantic but not on the water or anything just a very nice place to eat with a great ambiance.
Things have REALLY changed since 91.
I had my plumbing shop in League City. I still do the bulk of my work in that area.They have a pier you can fish off of Nasa Rd 1 right at the bridge before Space center, but you have to have your license.
Galveston now has a Schlitterbaun there also(water park)
And I'm not sure but I don't think the Beltway 8(Toll road) was built yet but it goes all the way around 610.
19 years away, Hope you haven't lost the TEXAS DRAW

cigarxtc 05-18-2010 02:39 PM

lol. unfortunately i lost the Texas drawl living in Northern VA. People in VA uzt to axe me where i gotz my accent from....oh crap, that No VA slang/accent came out again. hehe couldnt resist. (hated living there)

Thanks for the replies so far. Definitely gonna have some family beach time and fishing. Oh ya, i think we'll check out the San Jac monument if it's still open too. We used to go crabbing on that water.

I can't believe the flying dutchman is still there. I remember lots of loud Saturday nights out there. As a little kid my parents worked at Capt Wicks and we could hear the parties across that water channel at the restaurants.

We'll probably check out Main Event too. My boys are 8 and 5, so i'm sure it'd be a blast.

Does anybody in that area remember a Sammy's Bakery? They used to make the best kolaches when i was a weee little kid. I wonder if they are still around?

Is the second week of june a good time to go night gigging for Flounder? Are there any easily accessible locations that you wouldn't mind sharing for that?

plumber01 05-18-2010 06:12 PM

Gigging for Flounder, man that was fun. I went to a place in Galveston for that. always cleaned up on Flounder and crab.

But yeah that main event is a Blast. I even have fun there. And the food on the inside is surprisingly good also.

Not sure if sammy's is still around. I think I would have heard mention of it.