Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Clutch, Transmission, Differential, Axle & Transfer Case (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum69/)
-   -   1984 E-150 vrs '87 F-150 manual trans (3 speed with OD) any differences? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/956453-1984-e-150-vrs-87-f-150-manual-trans-3-speed-with-od-any-differences.html)

mxhowes1 05-11-2010 06:08 PM

1984 E-150 vrs '87 F-150 manual trans (3 speed with OD) any differences?

I am looking for a replacement transmission for my 4.9 84 E-150. It has the manual 3 speed with OD (4 speeds) trans RUG-CL, 1 1/16" 10 spline input and 28 spline output. I found a donor truck. It's a 1987 F-150 4.9 with what is called a M.T., (4 spd), Ford OD, 4x2 transmission. The truck is located 3 hours away and I can't get the bozo in the junk yard to crawl under it and get some ID tag #'s for me.

From what I understand there were a few 87's with the old Ford OD trans, but this was a cut off year and they also came with the 5-speed (?).

One junk yard says that it is a direct swap, another says that you can only swap a '78 or '79 F-150 with my van. Can someone help me with a little more info.
I really don't want to make the 6 hour round trip if it won't work.

Thanks

EPNCSU2006 05-11-2010 08:44 PM

The '87 transmission should be an RTS, also known as a T170, or a Ford TOD. It's roughly 30" from engine-bellhousing joint to the end of the tailshaft; roughly 19.5" from engine-bellhousing joint to the transmission mounting bolts. The input shaft is the same, and I think the output spline count is the same too, but I couldn't get a good angle on it to tell for sure. The shifter is mounted on a turret in the top cover plate of the transmission and all the shift linkage is internal.

If you need a picture or two, let me know and I'll try to borrow the roommate's camera.

85e150 05-11-2010 11:47 PM

Several versions. See reply in your other post in the 6 forums.

Domestic Truck Tranny Guide

mxhowes1 05-11-2010 11:59 PM

I think what you have described is the "newer" '87 transmission. (or maybe because it is connected to a 302) One piece, aluminum bellhousing/transmission. What I am looking for is old school, separate aluminum bell housing, with a cast iron trans that weights a ton. Is yours 4 or 5 speed? Being that this donor truck is a L-6 4.9, I hope it has the older style trans.

EPNCSU2006 05-12-2010 04:58 AM

What I posted was for a four speed, fourth being overdrive, transmission based on the old toploader design. It does have an aluminum case, but it should be exactly the same as what was used behind the 4.9 six in '87.

The reason I measured to the engine side of the bell housing is that I bolted on the bell housing for easier storage - it keeps the transmission upright. The aluminum case 5-speed with integral bell housing didn't come out until the '88 model year - the '87 factory service manual makes no mention of it.

mxhowes1 05-12-2010 05:05 PM

Tried to take a look at a transmission today at the local junkie. Couldn't get to look underneath because it is sitting in 4" of water. This is a 89 F-150 I-6. It has a trans code "M" on the door jam which means it should be a 5 speed but not the ZF. It seems to have 5 gears and is a top shifting box with the shift lever about 13~14 " behind the bell housing bolts. From the Truck tranny Guide it might be the M5R2. The owners manual in the truck refers to a RZ 5-speed and the ZF. I want to know more information about this transmission.... any specs would be helpful. Internal slave? I am desperately trying to find something I can put into my Van, this is going to be work, X-member and driveshaft, clutch, but it looks like the shifter will just clear my Dog house. Any light that can be shined on this project is appreciated.

85e150 05-13-2010 12:05 AM

That would be the Mazda box. Decent road-oriented ratios. I posted a link in the other thread with info as well.

Domestic Truck Tranny Guide

Ratios, look for M5OD R2:
Ford Motor Company Transmission Gear Ratio's Man

In a van, the shifter is going to pop out of the doghouse. ZF and Mazda-equipped vans had a shifter boot on the doghouse to deal with this.

What are you using the van for? What axle ratio do you have? I ask as if you are all road and fairly light duty, a T5 will work. (Not just any T5)

So if that's another way to go, advise and I'll post more info on that.

mxhowes1 05-13-2010 08:55 PM

Looks like the M5R2 won't work, it's a direct bolt on to my motor but the turret position in right in the middle of a major uni-body x-menber.
The van is used for hauling off road motorcycles to races, lots of time spent in 4th OD, I don't pull anything with it but it almost always has 1000# of bikes & gear in it. It's got a 3.50 rear end.
So what can you tell me about the T5? It's a GM product so how does it bolt to my bellhousing? What will I use for a flywwheel/clutch? ...sounds like more trouble than I want to get into.
But I am all ears..............

85e150 05-13-2010 11:38 PM

T5 is not a GM product, it is a Borg Warner design sold to Tremec and installed in lots of Fords as well as GM.

I was going to swap on in to my van for hauling bikes...but never got around to it.

Anyway, the "World Class" box with a steel front bearing retainer, and from a Cobra Mustang (or some others) will give you a 3.35 first gear. OD might be a bit high depending on what tire you are running. (I had 3.50s with 31 inch tires and it was doggy, but low low revs on the highway)

You use your existing clutch and bell. You need an adaptor because the input shaft is longer than your trans, otherwise the pattern in the same. (cutting the shaft costs as much as the adpator, unless you can DIY). You need to fiddle with the cross member, and probably need to shorted the DS.

Adaptor and other info here, they answered my question quickly when I was doing my thinking about this:

Modern Driveline - T5 / TREMEC TKO Transmission Conversion - 5 speed & 6 speed solutions to swap your Ford Mustang, Falcon, Cobra, Hotrod into Overdrive! Performance Parts

Info and a chart of ratios and tag numbers for your shopping pleasure:

Ford Mustang: Mustang Tech: Transmission and Drivetrain: Borg Warner T5 Transmission data

This would be light duty, but if you drove it conservatively, it would be fine methinks. (no dropped clutchs and burnouts, no bang-shift full throttle speed shifts, and shift it down maybe a bit early to avoid major lugging)

Mustang shifter location might be a bit far back--never got that far to figure that out. If it is, a Chev S10 T5 tailshaft housing swaps right on there to move the shifter forward.

Another option: A T18 or 19 or a NP435 with one of these:

Ranger Overdrive

in front of it, which will move it back far enough for the shifter to work.
Maybe, WAG.

mxhowes1 05-14-2010 08:23 PM

Thanks for the info..... Looks like I will be checking out some T5's. The Mustang info was very interesting.
Just a few questions... Do other (non Ford application) T5's use the 1 1/16" 10 spline input and 28 slpine output?
Any other general info pages on the T5 that you can link will be helpful. Meanwhile l will be rebuilding the RUG-CL and will be throwing it in soon (right now I am Van-less). I will be doing my homework and collecting parts for the swap.

85e150 05-14-2010 10:45 PM

Don't know on the inputs on other T5s, but I would guess they are different, otherwise there would be talk of direct interchange vs. just parts.....

mxhowes1 05-15-2010 10:55 AM

Dug up this list of T5s from a "British V8" website Identification Key to Borg-Warner T5 transmission ID Tags don't know about the accuracy but it does list all T5 applications 1352-001 thru 262. From the picture on this website a 072 is out of a '85 Camaro and has the shifter placed at the very end of the tailshaft, I assume Mustangs might be the same. I would like to get some over all dimensions of the T5 and other applications (such as the S-10 listed above) which might have the shifter located about mid way or closer on the tail shaft. In my van application I need at least 11" between the bellhousing and where I can start cutting a hole in the floor. The center of my existing linkage is placed about 15" back. My existing RUG-CL is 24 1/4" long.

85e150 05-15-2010 08:21 PM

Who knew? ANOTHER T5 link, with the critical measurements. Just convert from millimeters to inches:

T5 Transmisison Swap

Conversion cheat:

Online Conversion - Common Length Conversions

Skip1970 02-22-2018 01:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
hey guys i found a free 84 ford van on craigslist it has a auto trans but whats weird is the column has the overdrive setting on it, what trans could this be in 84 with od?

85e150 02-22-2018 02:09 PM

AOD. Maybe.