Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum174/)
-   -   TPMS Compatability (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/955789-tpms-compatability.html)

Harley Guy 05-09-2010 05:42 PM

TPMS Compatability

Hi all - couldn't stand the looks of the chrome clad wheels on my 07 Expy any longer. Bought a set of 2010 F-150 20" alloy wheels/tires that were new take-offs. New wheels are complete w/the TPMS. So my question is can I train the 07 system in the truck to read the new sensors. If so, how? I've searched and located the 07 proceedure but am coming up with blanks on the 2010 proceedure. Looked in the other forums also with no luck.

Am I going to have to break my new wheels down and switch the old sensors to the new wheels? Sure hope not....

Any sage wisdom would be greatly appreciated!

TIA,
Randy

berry1234 05-10-2010 11:17 AM

Why not swap tires/wheels and see what happens? Download a 2010 F150 manual for the procedure.

Tylus 05-10-2010 07:56 PM

yes

if you cannot do it manually, you might have to buy the retrainer tool. it's only a few bucks at Tirerack.com and on eBay.

the 07+ stuff is fully interchangeable between the F-150 and Expy.

welfarewagon 05-11-2010 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by tylus (Post 8872941)
yes

if you cannot do it manually, you might have to buy the retrainer tool. it's only a few bucks at Tirerack.com and on eBay.

the 07+ stuff is fully interchangeable between the F-150 and Expy.

Correct me if I am wrong but I bought a set of 09 F-150 wheels that had the TPMS sensor in the valve stem yet my 07 OEM wheels had the band type sensor, I never tried them, sold the wheels before I mounted them , but I read somewhere that the two types of sensors, ( band vs stem) are not interchangeable.

As for a reset tool I got mine on Ebay for $9.99 plus shipping, use it when I switch my summer wheels for winter, takes about 1 minute to do.

Check this out.
Ford TPMS - Ford TPMS Tools & Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems

welfarewagon 05-11-2010 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by Harley Guy (Post 8868549)
Hi all - couldn't stand the looks of the chrome clad wheels on my 07 Expy any longer. Bought a set of 2010 F-150 20" alloy wheels/tires that were new take-offs. New wheels are complete w/the TPMS. So my question is can I train the 07 system in the truck to read the new sensors. If so, how? I've searched and located the 07 proceedure but am coming up with blanks on the 2010 proceedure. Looked in the other forums also with no luck.

Am I going to have to break my new wheels down and switch the old sensors to the new wheels? Sure hope not....

Any sage wisdom would be greatly appreciated!

TIA,
Randy

What are you gonna do with your chrome clad 20" wheels? I may be interested if your plans are to sell them, I don't need tires but would take them if your going to part with them as well. I'm running factory 22" wheels but would use the 20's for winter use over the not so nice looking 18" wheels I use now..

Harley Guy 05-13-2010 06:01 AM

Thanks to all for the possible solutions. Doing some serious searching I have found that the 2010 TPMS on the wheels I bought are trained by entering the training mode in the vehicle and then decreasing the tire pressure in the tire to be trained. No magnets - no training tool - just decreasing tire pressure until the horn beeps. This is outlined in the 2010 F-150 Owners Manual.

So - now I'm wondering... Everything I've read on all 3 years of TPMS (2007 - 2010 and maybe all) TPMS operate and transmit their signals via RF waves. So is the frequency that they transmit on constant or has this changed through the years?

If the RF has remained the same then I think that whether you use banded or stem sensor as long as the SJB receives the signal it doesn't care what type of transmitter sends it.

With all that being said, here's my strategy. I'll put the new wheels (2010 F150 20" with stem sensors) on the truck, enter the TPMS training mode for the 2007 Expy, then use the 2010 F150 sensor activation mode (ie - dropping the tire pressure in the same sequence as we use to train the sensors using the magnet or training tool proceedure).

If it doesn't work then worst case is I'm going to have to switch over (buy) the banded sensors. Hate to have to do that as the tires are mounted, balanced and ready to install and I don't want to have to break them all down.

Anyway - put this in here for a sanity check. What do you guys (gals) think of my proposed solution? Maybe I've just had too much coffee this morning! :-X10

B/R,
Randy

PS - not interested in selling the 20" I have, will keep those for winter tires. But thanks for the offer.